Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Passenger

Default CFM - Anyone heard of it?

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a pretty specific question I would like some help with. Does anyone here know the specifics on a position identified as a CFM? Any info would be appreciated from full title to job description/rank, etc.

Thanks in advance, and happy sailing.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Passenger

Hi,
Most cruiselines have different names for the same position.Are you talking of a specific cruiseline?

Joe
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Passenger

It is a position with Celebrity. I am pretty sure it is CFM, but there is a possibility it is CSM. It has something to do with immigration, customs, etc., but I wanted to know the full scoop if anyone has interacted with someone is this roll. Thanks again!
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lil917hi

CFM stands for "celebrity family member"...its not a position though...celebrity calls all crew members CFM's because they think it sounds better than just calling everyone crew.
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil917hi
CFM stands for "celebrity family member"...its not a position though...celebrity calls all crew members CFM's because they think it sounds better than just calling everyone crew.
ha ha ha!!!!!

takes a corporate mind to come up with that one - kinda like all Disney workers being 'cast members'

So I guess the requirements are (with credit to my brother in law the ship captian ;-)

"can you see that wall? OK, you're hired"

Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Family Purser

Thanks for the CFM definition. That is kind of cheesy, but guests like things like that...and hey, it's better than being called lackey!

I was incorrect in my initial question by saying CFM - it is actually the CFP (Celebrity Family Purser) position that I was intending to ask about. I would think that in general this translates to "Crew Purser", but since all of the different lines seem to define these roles differently, I was hoping someone who has either done this job, or has worked on Celebrity, could shed a little bit more detail on what to expect in this role (things NOT listed in the standard job description).

Some of my specific questions are:
1) What rank/how many stripes is this position?
2) What kind of shipboard amenities come with the role? ie. single/shared cabin, deck priveleges?
3) Having so much to do with port regualtions, how often does one get port time?
4) Any idea on the hours? I know 7 days (70 hours) per week, but would this position include graveyard shifts?
5) What kind of training do you get...or is it sink or swim?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks all - by the way, does anybody know if Leah made it to her ship last Saturday? She sounded so nervous and worried in her last few posts.

R.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Hi R

I typed out a long response a couple days ago and then hit a button and poof it dissapeared . . . so let me try again . .

Let me preface this with I work for Celeb's parent company, and I know the companies are structured fairly similar. I don't work in the crew office, but I deal with those wonderful folk on a daily basis - they are the administrative heart of the ship (at least on rccl)

1) What rank/how many stripes is this position?

We have 4 people in the crew office, 1 is the manager with 2 1/2 stripes, the rest are 2 or 1 1/2.

2) What kind of shipboard amenities come with the role? ie. single/shared cabin, deck priveleges?

Not 100% sure, but the 2 1/2 stripe definately gets their own cabin, 2's and lower, depends on the job. One of the areas the crew office controls IS berthing, so . . . . The positions are considered 'staff' - so that means access to pretty much anywhere on the ship except for certain bars, sauna, whirlpools, etc. Trust me when I say that once you're on a ship for a while, going out into passenger space is NOT that big of a deal, and you'd rather be in the crewbar or crew outside decks. A lot less questions and rules!

3) Having so much to do with port regualtions, how often does one get port time?

That depends. If you have a good manager and co workers, you can work out a rotation. You have to go into this with an "I'm here to work" attitude, or you'll be dissapointed.

4) Any idea on the hours? I know 7 days (70 hours) per week, but would this position include graveyard shifts?

Assuming RCL and X (as it's abbrevieated) are set up the same - the crew office is open to crew from 9am-12pm then 4-6:30pm or so daily. When closed, there's a lot of paperwork/payroll etc going on. Most evenings are off unless you're doing work, or maybe involved in hosting or organizing crew welfare activites (i.e. parties, bingos, etc)

5) What kind of training do you get...or is it sink or swim?

You should be getting at least 2 weeks intensive training. All newhires do a heap of corporate orientation and safety training. I've seen new crew office people 'training' for 2-3 weeks at a stretch. They actually have a training matrix for all positions, built in "handover" from the previous person.

??? I'm curious too about Leah - I know a couple of people on the ship but want to wait until I get onboard my next onw before contacting them . . .

good luck and keep US posted
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks sz!

Thank you so much sz for the detailed response - it was more complete than I ever expected! When they placed me with X instead of RCCL, I wondered how much cross-over there would be in training methods, etc - I guess I'll find out soon enough....if I ever get my sail date. Yes, I'm impatient, but I think that excitement is needed to go into the job, especially considering the level of difficulty everyone has said the first month holds.

No worries about me mistaking this for a vacation - I am a hard worker, and that always comes first for me, but you have to live too, so the perks along the way are nice to know about. Thanks again for all of the info, and please post something here if you hear about Leah. SZ-What is your next sail date?

R.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
First Mate

no prob

I'm back onboard in about two weeks, so I'll be reading but not posting

You might want to keep dropping your hiring partner an email every couple of weeks or so to remind them who you are and that you're still interested
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Thanks sz - I have been contacting her every two weeks so far, but I may email next time so I can better track the contact times. Did you see on the other thread that Leah didn't go on her assigned date, but she had good reason, so she will be being reassigned. You never know what's going to happen!

R