Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Default Where do I go from here?

HI. For the last two weeks I have spent alot of time researching a career aboard a cruise vessel(something you never heard..lol). I'm sure its something I would like to try. The problem is I want to apply for a job where I stand a good chance to get hired.(and make a little something) This would be a career change for me in a big way. I'll tell you a bit about myself without putting my resume on here.
I have 4 years experience in security/military police(USMC) but understand that americans do not normally get security jobs. Furthermore I have labor experince in various ways. I'm outgoing , very personable and have friends from all different spectrums. I'm tall and by most considered attractive, Clean cut and professional.
What else would you recommend applying for? Do you know of other jobs other then the general ones that I might not ihave seen ? I just don't want to waste alot of time trying to get positions that I'm not quilified for or are very difficult to get. I'm realistic! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. MIKE
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Hey Bear

Potientally a tough one

If you haven't already - scroll down or page back to a thread called "links to cruise employment" that I started a while back.

Being a US citizen kind of restricts you on most cruise lines, but perhaps NCLA (that's Norwegian Cruise Lines US flagged ships in Hawaii), you might have more of a chance getting in with security or 'labor' related jobs. http://164.109.173.40/employment/nclAmerica/index.htm. If you dig - there is a Surveillance Operator position that you might be qualifed for???? (and it's HAWAII!!!!!!)

For most any other line, you're going to have to have a specific talent, skill or education to get a job. On the marine side, I've only seen one US captain, and several Environmental officers - but these require serious maritime school training. Another choice is in entertainment - cruise staff or entertainer. Cruise staff are the outgoing people who host and meet and greet - knowing how to chat on the mic and maybe host line dancing would be basic requirments.

More . . . . be a shopping guide or art auctioneer - again, need to be able to chat on a mic (both of these are basically info-mmercial type jobs)
http://www.plymouthauctioneering.com/
http://www.onboard.com/
Most of these gigs require video auditions . . .

digging around some more . . . scuba instructor, translator, IT

I remember working with a Brit (aged 40ish) who had a security background and was a scuba instructor. He was working as a cruise staff - ended up going into the "private sector" as security about some very weathly person's yacht sailing the Caribbean . .

good luck!!!!!
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Beginner

....thanks for taking the time!......looks like very solid advice....I'll take heed.