CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   steiner hairstylist (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/330551-steiner-hairstylist.html)

heather0x March 25th, 2007 04:29 PM

steiner hairstylist

I just got hired as a hairstylist with Steiner. I leave for my training next Friday. I still don't know what cruise line I will be working on. I've read most of the posts on here and I haven't come across very much info regarding the salon and hairstylists. I was wondering if anyone had any info like, hours the salon is open, how many stylists on board, is the work mostly updos and blowdrys, what privledges stylists have, would i be in a room with someone else that works in the spa/salon, and just anything in general.
Any information you guys have would be greatly appreciated, as I am just 21 and this is my first time travelling outside of Canada!

Thanks so much
Heather

BeenThere March 25th, 2007 09:24 PM

This is a bit of a guess - but I would think that your entitlements would be very close to that of any shoppie. Good luck on your first time at sea!

BabyD March 26th, 2007 07:12 PM

There are some ships you have to be over 23 and 25 to go on, i know under 21s (i am 19) are limited to Costa, Carnival and Royal Caribbean..

You wont get told your ship until you get details about 2/3 days before you go. you may be in training a few weeks, you may be in there up to six weeks. girls i was with that were hairdressers were still there at 5 weeks..

You get 1.5 days off per week (not all same day) and it depends on the ship your privileges..

Big ships have between 5 - 20 spa staff, smaller ships have between 3 - 10

heather0x March 26th, 2007 08:35 PM

wow...5 weeks. i was thinking close to 3. lets just hope i've got the skills required already...i would hope so considering i've been in the industry for 2 years now but i do realize there are some things that I dont know when it comes to ship hairdressing....but certainly not 5 weeks worth!! I guess we'll just have to see what happens!! What are you employed as?

BabyD March 27th, 2007 05:06 AM

I'm a beauty therapist, with the hairdressers AND beauty and massage, training is only about 2 weeks, but you are picked for a certain ship by the MD of Steiner on your second day. They wait until your space is ready before you go.. it could be straight after 2 week, it could be up to 10 weeks (hardly though) As the MD knows exactly who is perfect for what cruise line :)

faye louise June 12th, 2007 08:17 PM

hi i worked for steiner and did an 8 month contract just rememebr every ship is different dependin on manager but generally its all about targets. on my ship we opened at 8 in the moring and stopped doin treatments at 8 at night wiv a one hour lunch break treatments back to back on a sea day. but on a port day we would be open 8am until 10pm wiv a 2 hour break and it was a lot less quiter. i lived wiv a massage therapist how has now turned out to be one of my best mates as we both live in england. good luck have fun!!!oh and you will no what ship you get when your at the academy towrads the end of the trainingx