Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to megzmartini Send a message via Yahoo to megzmartini
Default shipboard retail sales associate questions

hi everyone,
i have a couple of questions. if anyone knows the answers or can point me in the right direction or even have some great advice please give me your imput.

ok i want to apply for a position as a sales associate aboard a cruise liner. i have been working at target as a overnight stock team member i have experience in clothing (softlines) an home decore, health an beauty, sports, toys (hardlines) departments for about 8 months give or take. although i don't have cashier experience im willing to learn that end. i have worked as a secretary for a screen enclosure company for about 10 months dealing with costumers an orders.

my questions are
1. With this amount of experience would i be a canadiate based on what they look for?

2. Is it best to apply with starboard and/or harding brothers or apply straight to the Cruise line company?

3. references on resume: i have a unique situation. i was working for my uncles gf for the majority of my time at the screen enclosure company. an they were not married till the last month of my employment. ( i wasn't fired my uncle closed shop to retire ) so can i list is gf now wife as a ref. since at the time she was not related to me but only by marriage now?
an can co workers be a reference if they are higher up?

Thanks in advance, i hope everyone is having a great morning!
Megan

i can be contacted at my myspace http://www.myspace.com/lil_skool_grl
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
i can be contacted at my myspace http://www.myspace.com/lil_skool_grl
I would list this as the first thing working against you. No professional looking for a job would ever list this.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to megzmartini Send a message via Yahoo to megzmartini

well......... i didnt post the address for a professional contact but so if anyone wanted to reply to my post to give me advice. not every contact is professional but friendly message post
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I didn't mean to be condescending, but I want to stress that anytime you are seeking a job you should consider everyone you come into contact with a potential step forward.

Everyone knows these days it is a plain bad idea to even have a myspace account in your own name if you are going to put anything at all personal (sexual, partying, etc) in there. Employers do research on job candidates on the internet these days, so you want to appear professional.

A web-based resume is a good idea - you can get a .info domain name for about $1/year these days. And a hosting account is about $75/year. That is all you need to make a nice "vanity"web site called www."yourname".info . Or there are job boards where you might be able to post something for free.

In any case - make up a resume - list all your skills, and point out you specialize in retail. It could work out for you.