Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
First Mate

Default Pay on NCLA

Does anyone know how much you are paid for the least paying job on NCLA? I presume they must pay minumum wage, which in HI is $7.25 an hour. Does anyone know if this is the starting pay for NCLA?
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM
First Mate

Also, is anything over 40 hours a week considered o/t and thus paid at 1.5 times your normal rate?
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to BananaHands

The lowest paying job, at least in the kitchens, pays about 700 to 900 a month from what I have read. That didn't come from NCLA so it may be a little off. Once I can make it to my computer, I will post the link to where I saw that. Yes, you will get overtime.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to BananaHands

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/position.htm

Hopefully the link works for you, if not, the link is on the main page you just need to poke around for it.

Mike
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaHands
The lowest paying job, at least in the kitchens, pays about 700 to 900 a month from what I have read. That didn't come from NCLA so it may be a little off. Once I can make it to my computer, I will post the link to where I saw that. Yes, you will get overtime.
Is this rate accurate for NCLA as well? I thought they would pay higher, as they have to comply with US labor law as they are us flagged. The other rates seem about average for foreign flagged ships as they dont have to pay mimimum wages.

HI mimimum wage is $7 something an hour... shouldn't I be receiving this on NCLA? Then throw in overtime for everything over 40 a week and shouldn't I be making $10.50 an hour or so?

Can anyone who worked with NCLA please explain how this works. Also, I heard you are union. Wouldn't this work in your benefit?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Admiral

I don't know the definitive answer to this but I bet they get around minimum wage and the issue o.t. because they house, feed and provide free medical care for the crew. Those things have to be taken into consideration when they determine salary.

There are all sorts of things that the cruiseline provides for the crew that mainland jobs do not.

Also, if you are in a position that earns tips, that is a whole other calculation. I think the minimum wage for that is just over $2-3.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Beginner

Hi- former NCLA utility galley here Pride of Hawaii 2006). Lowest paying positions are entry level galley and hotel (utility galley and utility hotel) pay is $6.25 hr/$9.37 with overtime. US labor laws don't apply- at least in the same way.There is something called "admiralty law" which governs shipboard employment.

Yes you are paid overtime- I personally worked over 100 hours per week.

Feel free to email me with questions hkmp5g17@yahoo.com