Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Default Beer

I don't drink much but it seems that the crew bar is the place to be at the end of the day from what I've read and I was just curious how much a beer or glass of wine costs at the crew bar on NCLA and other ship.

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:57 AM
First Mate

On RCCL it's around .75 or a buck, but I'm a wine drinker, so not totally sure. The crewbar wine is really bad, so I usually buy mine in port. Crewbar wine was around $8-10 a bottle. Guest area drinks are at a modest discount (20%) if you have a position that lets you out into those areas. Not sure on NCLA's

Caribbean runs, the best deals are on hard liquors in ports like San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten. Sometimes the shops onboard will do crew sales or provisions will do inventory reductions and sell booze by the case

It's a good thing not to be a heavy drinker as many crew have drunk their salary away (occasional epic stories of musicans owing money when they sign off ) - but, just like on land, its a way of busting stress and relaxing with your workmates. As you don't have to drive home, people have a tendency of drinking a heap more than what they'd do at home. There's 'off duty' and 'on duty' limits of blood alcohol levels - I know 5 people this year who've lost their jobs for being over.

There's always Coke and juice 8)
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

In NCL 4 years ago it was a dollar pr can.
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Beginner

Ok, I'm going on my first contract with RCCL in two weeks. I've been informed that the alcohol limits for RCCL are 0,03 in duty, and 0,08 out duty.

1- Does anyone know how many, let's say, bottle of beers 0,0,3 and 0,08 equal to?

2- How do they check it? Does someone walk around in a crew party running tests on people? Or they don't care about the limit on crew parties and crew bar, they just don't want to see you drunk out of your gourd in a public area or something?

Thank you in advance
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

Quote:
Originally Posted by karollou
Ok, I'm going on my first contract with RCCL in two weeks. I've been informed that the alcohol limits for RCCL are 0,03 in duty, and 0,08 out duty.

1- Does anyone know how many, let's say, bottle of beers 0,0,3 and 0,08 equal to?

2- How do they check it? Does someone walk around in a crew party running tests on people? Or they don't care about the limit on crew parties and crew bar, they just don't want to see you drunk out of your gourd in a public area or something?

Thank you in advance
I WAS CURIOUS ABOUT THOSE SAME QUESTIONS, IS IT STRICTLY ENFORCED?
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:02 AM
First Mate

Depending on your body weight - .04 and .08 is one and two drinks respectively. You can probably goolge "blood alcohol content" to see if there's a guide.

but the real question . . is it enforced? Totally depends on the cruise line and the management at the time. On the takeout of the NCL Sun - 2 drink maximum in the crewbar. They opened the drink as it crossed the bar and you weren't allow to take it out of the room. You couldn't be seen walking around with a drink, couldn't buy it ashore and bring it back. A VERY unhappy crew and many people were fired for drinking ashore or even watched in the guest disco and being breathized the next morning and fired.

I have acquaintences on Carnival who stayed drunk most of their contracts.

For most of the Marine department - no, and I mean ZERO tolerance. You don't want those in charge of your safety drinking. Period.

When it comes to the rest of the ship . . . . really depends on management. If you can do your job and not be late, loud or just not generally bothering those around you, you can drink. I've known many people who can drink close to the edge of passing out daily, get up the next day and do their jobs no problem.

Some of the more 'social' jobs like cruise staff, entertainers and musicans - having a drink while 'working' is no big deal, but you never want to overdo it.

My last contract I was witness to a termination . . . . one of the guys in my area (I'm not his boss) was really screwing up on the job and affecting others. His boss had been counselling him and writing him up for screwups, lateness, etc. and one day, he could tell the guy had gone out that day in port, had gotten drunk with others, and came back to work that evening. As soon as his shift was finished, his boss called his boss and then the staff captain was called to make the decision to breathalize. As our boys boss was new to the job, I went with him as emotional support. The security officer and 2 guards went to his cabin and asked him to come back to the security office. He was tested (.087 off duty) and as it was close - the staff captain and division manager made the call to terminate him. He was sent home the next port. The thing is - you notice I said 'getting drunk with others'? The other people did their jobs without issue that night, and even the division manager was out drinking - but if you screw up in your job and appear to be drunk . . . .test, over the limit, and bye bye!

But more importantly - have a few drinks in the crewbar and go home . . no problem. Most ships have surveillance cameras EVERYWHERE including crew bar ares . . . don't be stupid, and you won't lose your job.

PS - the funny thing about my story is that the fired guy and the boss are still friends . . . ahhhh ships!