Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Default NCLA Job Fair

There is a NCLA job fair about 60 miles away from us this Thursday and my wife and I are thinking about attending.

Has anyone been to these and been hired? Has anyone been to these and not been hired? Why were you not hired?

What exactly goes on there? What is the process like? Is it a group interview, or individually or in smaller groups? What sort of questions are asked? How long did the interview last?
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Anyone? I'll be leaving in about 12 hours for the fair... anyone have any tips from experience? From what I'm reading they appear to be rather desperate to hire, but I'd definitely welcome and suggestions!
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Just getting back in from the job fair... my wife and I were both offered jobs in the galley... should be exciting. The process now is background check, apply and wait for MMD, and physical. From there its onto either Maryland or HI for a week of training and then right onboard. The process that said should take 4 to 6 weeks.
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Passenger

well congratulations! I'm happy for you! I'm in a similar situation myself. I just got selected to work as a Massage Therapist for NCLA and will be heading to HI sometime in October for training. Maybe I'll see you both there

John
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Passenger

I am actually going in on the 27th for a job fair. I sent in my resume and they setup a job fair in Minneapolis the next day. I hope that isn't coincidence. I sent in the resume of IT. I am super excited about this and I hope I get the position.

Is it actually someone who works for NCLA or is it a third party hiring group that do the jobfairs?
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
I am actually going in on the 27th for a job fair. I sent in my resume and they setup a job fair in Minneapolis the next day. I hope that isn't coincidence. I sent in the resume of IT. I am super excited about this and I hope I get the position.

Is it actually someone who works for NCLA or is it a third party hiring group that do the jobfairs?
It was put on by a recruiter for NCL. As far as I know, she is an employee of NCLA. Didn't pay much attention to resume and just gave a glance to application. The higher up job you go the closer they look at things probably though.
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Passenger

I would imagine they would want to meet me and make sure I am a presentable person with a smiley face. I suppose I should unscrew the metal spikes from my leather jacket before the interview.
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Passenger

My son went to a NCLA job fair in July 2006 and got hired as a bellperson. He now knows that was a great entry level position. He thinks MAYBE he got the job since he already had a college degree. He spent one contract on the POAloha and enjoyed his job because he had regular hours and lots of time to get off the ship and explore. He got a big break when he was home waiting to go back for contract #2 he continued to apply for IT jobs (his college major) and the right person pulled his resume and made a call that got him his present job as assistant systems manager on the POAmerica - a huge promotion. He loves his job.
He said NCLA does like to promote from within - do a good job and they are always advertising openings on the ship that you can apply for.
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Cool. I figured if they didn't have a IT position available I could see if you would take me on in a different position until they have an opening.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM
First Mate

After reading post from past NCL Pride of America employees there are a few turn overs (employees who don't return) which could be for any reason.

You have to know what you are getting into when you go to NCL Job Fairs.

Good Luck, everyone.