Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default I'm Not Good at Waiting......

So I went to a job fair 1.5 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I got offered a position as a prep cook, I say pretty sure because I was in a hurry and was filling out so much paper work that I kind of zoned out and didn't hear a lot of what the recuiter was telling me. Anyways, I remember filling out stuff for them to do a background check, something for the MMD and something about the position I was being hired for. I do remember the guy saying that someone would call me on Wednesday of the following week, which was yesterday, so I'm a little lost in the NCL hiring process at the moment and don't know what is going on.

I know my background is no issue and my work experience is cool, so I'm just wondering if it's normal for them to not call when they said they would? I haven't taken a drug test, physical, etc. yet because again I'm waiting on this call and would really love to get the boat moving, so to speak.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Ok, so I worry.....for no reason it seems because I just got the call saying I got the job.

Still glad I found this site and will keep posting what happens.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay
Ok, so I worry.....for no reason it seems because I just got the call saying I got the job.

Still glad I found this site and will keep posting what happens.
GOOD NEWS, KEEP US INFORMED.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Passenger

I went for my physical Monday, which was conviently located just 5 miles from where I live, so I was happy that I didn't have to drive very far. Only thing that went wrong was someone forgot to fill-out something on the paperwork so they had to give me a call 2 days later to ask me if I had any tattoos.

I've faxed all my stuff, except for my DMV record, which for some reason takes 5-10 days to be processed in my state, so once that comes in I will get that to them.

The only thing I don't like about this whole process is that you're not really kept in the loop as to what is going on until they need something from you or you have to go somewhere. And of course there is the task of trying to get in touch with your recruiter. They called me once and had to leave a message, so I returned their call that day only to be told that they were going to have to call me back because they were with someone else. Two days go by and still no call, so I call them a couple of times and eventually get them on the phone and get my physical arranged.

It just seems like I'm having to keep the ball rolling in this whole process or less I get stuck in their timeframe for progess.
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Passenger

I'm finally going to apply for my MMD card! It took about 5-7 business days for my DMV record to come in and as soon as it did I faxed everything to my recruiter and waited for my drug test results to come in. After 10 business days passed I started calling everyone. First my recruiter who said my results hadn't come in yet, and then the company that actually administered the test, who said the results were sent to Hawaii on September 27th. I then proceeded to call Hawaii where it took me 2 days to get in touch with someone and told me that they just sent my information to the Miami office

I call my recruiter again and can't get in touch with her for 2 days and just end up leaving messages that are never returned Today I get her on the phone only to find out that my S.S. Card wasn't signed properly and I need to get a replacement I mean really, she couldn't of called me back to tell me about this error? Anyways, I'm finally flying to Charleston, SC to get my MMD next week and then off to Piney Point a few weeks later.

Exhausting
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I'm finally going to apply for my MMD card! It took about 5-7 business days for my DMV record to come in and as soon as it did I faxed everything to my recruiter and waited for my drug test results to come in. After 10 business days passed I started calling everyone. First my recruiter who said my results hadn't come in yet, and then the company that actually administered the test, who said the results were sent to Hawaii on September 27th. I then proceeded to call Hawaii where it took me 2 days to get in touch with someone and told me that they just sent my information to the Miami office

I call my recruiter again and can't get in touch with her for 2 days and just end up leaving messages that are never returned Today I get her on the phone only to find out that my S.S. Card wasn't signed properly and I need to get a replacement I mean really, she couldn't of called me back to tell me about this error? Anyways, I'm finally flying to Charleston, SC to get my MMD next week and then off to Piney Point a few weeks later.

Exhausting
It is a very long process, indeed. My wife and applied Sept 13 and Oct 15th applied for the Z cards. The REC said it would be about a two week wait, maybe less. So we're hoping for a call sometime this week!
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Passenger

I think my recruiter is just a little on the absent minded side. She's really nice but, she's not really organized and it's annoying having to keep after her all the time. For instance, I talked to her on Tuesday and set up all my flight info and she was supposed to e-mail me my schedule, but it's been 2 days now and nothing yet. If it's not here tomorrow I'll have to call her again and get it before Wednesday. On the bright side we've talked so often that she pretty much knows the sound of my voice.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I think my recruiter is just a little on the absent minded side. She's really nice but, she's not really organized and it's annoying having to keep after her all the time. For instance, I talked to her on Tuesday and set up all my flight info and she was supposed to e-mail me my schedule, but it's been 2 days now and nothing yet. If it's not here tomorrow I'll have to call her again and get it before Wednesday. On the bright side we've talked so often that she pretty much knows the sound of my voice.
From what I've heard, setting up your flight arrangements will be the last time you have to deal with your recruiter. If you can stick it out just until you get your flight info you should be good from there on out. After you've waited for your MMD I'm pretty sure the next people you have to talk to will be the schedulers who will give you a call to fly you out either to Piney Point or right out to Hawaii.
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Turns out my recruiter was fired/quit or whatever, which seems about right. Now I have someone else handling things and hopefully it will all run a lot smoother.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

SOUNDS SIMILAR TO MY SITUATION, I HAVE SYMPATHY FOR U

YES, ALOT OF WAITING GOES ON HERE...VERY STRICT BACKGROUND CHECKS

I FLEW TO TOLEDO LAST WEEK FOR THE MMD CARD APPLICATION...THEY TOLD ME 8 WEEKS?!?

AND THE WAITING GAME (AGAIN)
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Passenger

8 weeks???!!!! Wow that really sucks. I'm flying to Charleston tomorrow and I don't know how I'm going to react if they say 8 weeks, I'll probably start trying to bribe them. I read someone else's post and they were told only 2-3 weeks, so I guess it depends on which office you go to. I'm hoping the offices on the coast process things faster due to the higher volume of traffic, but who knows.
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
8 weeks???!!!! Wow that really sucks. I'm flying to Charleston tomorrow and I don't know how I'm going to react if they say 8 weeks, I'll probably start trying to bribe them. I read someone else's post and they were told only 2-3 weeks, so I guess it depends on which office you go to. I'm hoping the offices on the coast process things faster due to the higher volume of traffic, but who knows.
My wife and applied in Boston October 16. We got a call today that our cards were received in Honolulu on Monday. We are scheduled to fly to PP on November 10th, but could have this weekend if we wanted to.
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Passenger

That is pretty Fast.
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Passenger

I'm hoping mine is processed quickly because I have plans for Summer 2008 and I want to start my contract so they don't overlap. Originally I had planned to be at Piney by now, instead I'm just now applying for my MMD
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Passenger

well, I took my physical last Monday and today I got a package from NCLA with a crappy tote bag and another group of medical release forms :S Is this a psychological test to see how much paperwork they are not going to tell me about before I decide to giveup?

Has anyone else received this head-sized totebag and if you have does this mean that I have passed? I for one am glad they mailed it to me instead of sticking it over my head and dragging me away. I am going to be so angry if after all of this I get on the cruise ship and they give me a rifle and a French Foreign Legion outfit and drop me off somewhere in Africa.

Ok I am done ranting. I am just so excited and bumbed about all of this paperwork that I do not really have the time to run around getting filled by a physician I do not have
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
well, I took my physical last Monday and today I got a package from NCLA with a crappy tote bag and another group of medical release forms :S Is this a psychological test to see how much paperwork they are not going to tell me about before I decide to giveup?

Has anyone else received this head-sized totebag and if you have does this mean that I have passed? I for one am glad they mailed it to me instead of sticking it over my head and dragging me away. I am going to be so angry if after all of this I get on the cruise ship and they give me a rifle and a French Foreign Legion outfit and drop me off somewhere in Africa.

Ok I am done ranting. I am just so excited and bumbed about all of this paperwork that I do not really have the time to run around getting filled by a physician I do not have
I didnt get a tote bag I'm upset now. In other news, we got a call today to fly to PP on Nov 10th
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Passenger

I got fingerprinted on oct.17th and Im waiting for my MMD and the phone call about the flight for training...Im so anxious, wanted to be gone by now...I kept telling everyone I would be gone before the holidays....lol now i dont know..I heard also that the cards were going thru fast. I got fingerprinted in charleston, NC also real nice people, my rec evaluator said not to call him unless i dont receive my card by the 8th week but that it usually only takes about 3-4 weeks, they come back in 2 weeks and then wait in line to get typed up and sent to hawaii. ( there is only one typist and she only sends out cards on friday) so we all wait together..
I wonder if my recruiter got fired too, i emailed her and nothing guess ill call tomorrow. Hope to see you all soon. Ill be a waiter on one of the ships I think Pride of Hawaii, needs the most help at the moment...
ALOHA
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Passenger

I LEAVE SATURDAY!!!! WOOHOOOO!!! CALL YOUR RECRUITER!!! THATS WHAT I HAD TO DO...Im sure she would have called me, but I just can't sit around and wait...
See you all soon!!!!
Kudos!!!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Veets, your excitement is my excitement. Tomorrow I have to go to another doctor to find out if I am fit enough to work on the boat, after that I am leaving to get my MMD.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Dont sweat the doctor's visit. Mainly they just want to make sure you can see, hear and that your flexible (make you touch your toes) Im 50 years old (shhhh dont tell anyone) I look 40....so ive been told. So if i can pass the physical you can too. Their real main concern is that you dont do any drugs. They will take a lot of blood and urine...
Good luck!!!let me know how it goes...
Aloha!!
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Passenger

I passed the physical, but I have two metal rods in my back from when I had my scoliosis corrected. Basically they need me to have the surgeon sign off that I am okay to work on board a ship. I am pretty sure he will ok it.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Passenger

Im sure it will be fine...so did you start the mmd application, or you waiting on the medical clear first?
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Passenger

as soon as I get my back cleared I will go and apply.
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Passenger

I KNOW IM GETTING EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO TRAINING NOW. I FOUND THESE LINKS TO PINEY POINT TO SHARE.http://www.cruisecritic.com/features...les.cfm?ID=190
http://www.shipsandcruises.com/PrideStaff.htm
AND THIS LAST LINK IS RIGHT TO HERE, NICE ARTICLE BY PAUL ONE OF THE MODERATORS

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...NCLAmerica.cfm
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Passenger

i have a question....

what is REAL difference for someone to apply for ncla rather than ncl?

it seems that you have to go through a lot of stuff and waiting to work for ncla..

i applied for an ncl position and was given a message for an interview within 1-2 weeks. after that it was just getting my stuff to them and i had the job.

just curious.
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Passenger

NCL of America are Flagged US ships, and because of that they have to be run by US citizens.. So we have to have an extreme background check done on us by the Coast Guard, before we can get our MMD Marine Merchants Document, that allows us to work on the flagged US ships. There are a lot of good posts and articles here in this website, also on the ncl.com website...hope this helped
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Passenger

So I flew out to Charleston and back without a problem, which was a suprise honestly, I expected to at least miss one flight with all the delays I had, but everything worked out great. The guy at the R.E.C. said it would take about 2-3 weeks, but some have gone out as early as six days, it all depends on how quickly they get your medical evaluation and how fast your paperwork goes through.

At the moment I'm just waiting to hear about my MMD and starting to get things ready to go. Monday I'm going to give my recruiter a call and see if things have come through yet, I figure I don't want to deal with any of that this weekend