Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Default Land

I was curious how often do you actually get to get off the ship and explore the ports and places you stop. I've heard you get 1.5 days off every 7 days. Especially curious of those who work for NCLA how often you can get off and go lay on the beach.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Assuming your schedule permits, you can get off whenever the ship is in port. For NCLA, thats about 100 hours a week, with two days a week spent overnight docked. I've heard that for some crew, schedules are rotated allowing all crew sometime in port each week. How this works out I don't yet know. My wife and I did the medical testing today and once we return from our cruise should know the results and when we are to report for training.

What stage are you at in your application process?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Passenger

Well as far as I know I'm done with my application process but mine may be a little different than yours. I got my job off from Steiner to be a Massage Therapist on board one of the spas. So I'm suppose to be heading out to Oahu on oct 6th for my mmd training and than my spa training at the Mandara Spa at the Hilton on Waikiki.

What will your positions be on board?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdevil13
Well as far as I know I'm done with my application process but mine may be a little different than yours. I got my job off from Steiner to be a Massage Therapist on board one of the spas. So I'm suppose to be heading out to Oahu on oct 6th for my mmd training and than my spa training at the Mandara Spa at the Hilton on Waikiki.

My wife and I were both hired as Utility Galley's. I have experience in hotel, food service, so i could have probably taken a higher paying, non-entry level job, but I wanted to make sure I'd get the job first and then move up from there.

We attended the job fair last Thursday and had our drug tests yesterday. When the results of that come back we're flying to Boston for MMD fingerprinting. When that clears we fly to MD I'm fairly certain for a week, and then to HI.

What qualifications does a Massage Therapist need? I presume a state license? How much experience and in what setting?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Quote:

My wife and I were both hired as Utility Galley's. I have experience in hotel, food service, so i could have probably taken a higher paying, non-entry level job, but I wanted to make sure I'd get the job first and then move up from there.

We attended the job fair last Thursday and had our drug tests yesterday. When the results of that come back we're flying to Boston for MMD fingerprinting. When that clears we fly to MD I'm fairly certain for a week, and then to HI.

What qualifications does a Massage Therapist need? I presume a state license? How much experience and in what setting?

To be a Massage Therapist on board NCLA you need to have completed your certification as a Massage Therapist, and you need to get you Hawaii MT State License. But I believe we get paid on commision on the ships so since it's port intensive I'm not sure how well buisness will be. I would need to average 4 treatments a day to really make a decent profit on board, but we can be booked for up to about 8.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Quote:

We attended the job fair last Thursday and had our drug tests yesterd
day. When the results of that come back we're flying to Boston for MMD fingerprinting. When that clears we fly to MD I'm fairly certain for a week, and then to HI.

To be a Massage Therapist on board NCLA you need to have completed your certification as a Massage Therapist, and you need to get you Hawaii MT State License. But I believe we get paid on commision on the ships so since it's port intensive I'm not sure how well buisness will be. I would need to average 4 treatments a day to really make a decent profit on board, but we can be booked for up to about 8.
Not bad. I'll let my wife know.

Good luck to you...perhaps we'll be on the same ship!