Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Default NCLA Training update

I was at a job fair and they stated that you no longer have to stay at Piney Point for weeks on end. Now it sounds like when your paperwork goes through they will send you to a coast gaurd facility for the physical. When they are sure you are ready they will send you to PP for one week of training. That way you can work you paying job for a little longer instead of getting $50 bucks a week in PP waiting for your MMD.

I will post more as I find more out.
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Passenger

I just left the Pride of America in July. According to the info they were giving us on all the "changes" with NCLA, one was that the training at Piney Point (Mine was 4 weeks plus one extra when I sprained my ankle) would become virtally obsolete. The STCW training, will be held there for one week (fire fighting, crowd management, water rescue and first aid) and then you will wait for your MMD to come through at home - once that has gone through you will be sent to your ship and train on board. I don't know if that plan has changed in the past couple of months - but my friends still on board seem to think it is still happening.

BTW- hi, I am Beth - or as I was called on the ship - EB. I was a Sr Stateroom Steward on board the PO America. I left the ship about 3 months ago and MISS IT! Can't wait until I can get back in the industry.

Glad to have found this site.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Passenger

From what I know about the whole process, which isn't a lot mind you, first you send in all the paperwork for the MMD, along with your application, position acceptance for NCL and background check information. Secondly, they send you for a physical at one of the clinics located around the US and request that you send in a copy of your DMV record, Social Security Card, Drivers Liceanse, Criminal Background and Birth Certificate (Passport can take the place of BC and I believe DL). Once they receive your drug test results (which normally takes about 5-10 business days) and your other information then someone should get in touch with you about your background check.

I'm stuck waiting for my DMV record because in my state all requests have to be mailed into the state office instead of making it accessable at the local DMV offices, which is ridiculous considering I received my crimal background in 13 minutes.

I'm not 100% about the background check thing, I'm just going off of what someone else on this site said, which seems about right considering that NCL does everything one step at a time.

It makes sense that they would just have everyone go to the Regional Exam Center in Boston for their MMD after the week training at Piney Point. The only thing that's a little odd to me is that they would send you home after your training, especially since it can take so long for some Z-cards to come through. I would think/hope that they would start processing your MMD card a lot sooner, so after your training at Piney Point was over they would send you strait to the ship, but who knows. I've got to get in in touch with my recruiter once I get my DMV record and I've started writing out a list of questions I would like to have answered so I know what in the hell is going on.

Good Luck
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Passenger

NCLA spends over $8,000 a person in training, testing and processing of MMD cards - The two most expensive thing they provide for employees is the MMD and STCW training. So it only makes sense that they would not start either process before they knew all your other testing would check out okay...

Another thing is that the Coast Guard processes our MMDs as favors, and according to a close friend who was a trainer at Piney Point for well over a year, they make sure to remind NCLA of that on a regular basis. They do not consider the processing of the Ships Zcards as priority - so I had some friends truly wait as a ship chaser (don't get excited if you have heard about these fortunate people, they did away with this) for over six months. Oh, and they are not all processed in Baltimore -- for example - my MMD was issued in Seattle.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Passenger

It only costs between 140.00 and 280.00 dollars to get a MMD, hardly a large expense, and you would probably get it a lot quicker if you did it on your own rather than letting NCL handle it for you. I'll agree that the MMD shouldn't be processed until at least after the drug test results come back, and I'm pretty sure that's what I implied earlier.

And I'm aware that not all applications are processed in Baltimore, considering though that Piney Point is in Maryland and it is required that you appear at a R.E.C. to be fingerprinted, it just makes sense that they would arrange for transportation to Baltimore from Piney Point so that everyone could do this at the same time
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay
It only costs between 140.00 and 280.00 dollars to get a MMD, hardly a large expense, and you would probably get it a lot quicker if you did it on your own rather than letting NCL handle it for you. I'll agree that the MMD shouldn't be processed until at least after the drug test results come back, and I'm pretty sure that's what I implied earlier.

And I'm aware that not all applications are processed in Baltimore, considering though that Piney Point is in Maryland and it is required that you appear at a R.E.C. to be fingerprinted, it just makes sense that they would arrange for transportation to Baltimore from Piney Point so that everyone could do this at the same time
I am under he understanding that:

You apply, send in a resume, and attend a job fair.
You are offered the job and submit your passport, license, ss card, dmv record and criminal history report.
You complete your medical exam and drug tests.
You are flown to regional center to complete oath and get fingerprinted.
You wait at home for MMD card to come in.
Once it comes back you are flown to MD for a week and then to HI right to your first assignment.

Thats how the recruiter explained the process to me.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Passenger

I was also told that I would go right to Hawaii after the one week of training, thus "Allowing me to work my paying job instead of the 50 dollars a month to wait at piney point"

They have yet to ask for my dmv record at all. Sounds like I will be flown out next Monday for my physical. Does anyone have any idea what they have you do for the physical?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
I was also told that I would go right to Hawaii after the one week of training, thus "Allowing me to work my paying job instead of the 50 dollars a month to wait at piney point"

They have yet to ask for my dmv record at all. Sounds like I will be flown out next Monday for my physical. Does anyone have any idea what they have you do for the physical?
Our physical was about 20 minutes away. We had a drug test and blood was taken. A typical pre-employment physical seeing if you are capable of performing the job functions. A hearing test and a vision test.

In about a week we are being flown to the regional coast guard place in Boston for fingerprinting. Not sure what happens between then and going to MD or HI. I don't know really know if NCLA has it all down yet, either...
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Passenger

I am just concerned since about seven years ago I had metal rods put in my back for scoliosis. Which leads everyone to believe that I am a weak person. Pretty much I kayak, ride a bike 40 miles at a time and play soccer. I am just worried that the idea of not being able to stick my feet in my mouth physically will cause me to be disqualified. I hear one of the requirements is that you must be able to drag 50lbs 400 yards, I can run with a 150 lb person on my back, so I hope I at least get the chance. I have a friend who was in the Navy that said Merchant Marines will take just about anyone as long as they can walk. I am just looking for confirmation of this as it is one of my last worries about getting a job.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Passenger

is training only for ncla and not ncl?

just curious because i got my offer and there has been no talk of training... so do i just hop into the position on day 1? im sure they will tell me soon...
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Passenger

Quote:
I hear one of the requirements is that you must be able to drag 50lbs 400 yards
umm... unless things have changed drastically in a year... They will not make you do that -- they will ask you though if you can pick up 50lbs...

The phyical things they will make you do are mainly just with fire fighting and water survival (you will be in full fire gear which is fairly heavy but sounds like you'll be fine) really not bad at all

Quote:
is training only for ncla and not ncl?
I know Piney Point is for NCLA only... But that all cruise ships, including international ships require STCW certification... Don't know how that works for internatonal...
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny

I am under the understanding that:

You are offered the job and submit your passport, license, ss card, dmv record and criminal history report.
Once it comes back you are flown to MD for a week and then to HI right to your first assignment.

I just found something online at this link (http://164.109.173.40/employment/nclamerica/faq.htm) that states you go directly from Piney Point to your first ship-assignment, so that all sounds about right. I have to call my recruiter today and find out for sure.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny

I am under the understanding that:

I just found something online at this link (http://164.109.173.40/employment/nclamerica/faq.htm) that states you go directly from Piney Point to your first ship-assignment, so that all sounds about right. I have to call my recruiter today and find out for sure.
NCLA, up until about a few months ago, made applicants attend a 4 or 5 week training program in Piney Point. Even if training was completed, you had to stay there until your MMD came, at which point you flown right to the ship. Some people left right after training, while others were there for weeks afterward, still only getting the training pay rate. I believe now you stay at home until the MMD card arrives. Arrangements are then made for you to go to Piney Point for one week coast guard safety/rescue training, and upon completeion you are flown right to the ship for your job-specific training. As to if you are paid your regular pay or training pay once you get on the ship, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that once you leave MD and get on the ship your regular hourly pay will begin, even though you are still learning your job.

The NCLA FAQ, as it appears now, has the old information mixed in with the new. It appears as though they are updating it as every few days new information appears and some is removed. I asked about the new process at the jobfair, and even my recruiter wasn't exactly sure of the training. I guess I won't know until I'm there. As long as I'm getting paid and in Hawaii I'll be happy
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Passenger

It's funny how everyone has a different story for how the hiring process is happening. I'm still waiting on the drug test results to come back, I should find out sometime this week and hopefully get another piece in the NCLA hiring process.
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Passenger

If you are training to work for the Spa aboard NCLA than you actually do your training at Barbers Point near Honolulu on Oahu. I actually start my trainining there in two days. Just got to Oahu yesterday and they put me up at a local YMCA until I finish my training and go to whatever ship they assign me. Oh and the training here is only maybe four or five days for us.