Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Default Question about - Strict Grooming Policy

I am going to be working for NCL and my interviewer mentioned the strict grooming policy... and mentioned no visible tattoos or piercings.

I have no visible tattoos, but i have interesting ear piercings and would like some opinions on wheter or not i should take care of these before i go... i leave in 6 weeks so i have time to make these go away. can i get some opinions??

that is my ear, they both look like that. yes that is a large hole. please let me know what you think?
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Passenger

I would say get rid of them. Do you care more about your piercings or your new position with NCL? That is how I would think about it.
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Hi messicamouse!!

Which cruise are you working on? and position?

I was offered a job as Jr. Receptionist onboard the NCL Jewel. I would like to know your experiencie, is it really that it is so strict?, what about PIN reports (personal improvement notice)?

How many hours do you work a day?, do you have free time?

OK, I´ll wait for your reply.

Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Depends on 2 things, your position and if it is NCL or NCLA. NCLA is a little less strict, but even still, if you are in a guest job (resturaunt, staff, Housekeeping, Bar) the small ring would probably be okay but the hole they would make you take out. visible tattoos are okay on NCLA ships too, they are not as strict as international. I have friends that are waiters with full tattoo sleeves and mohawks -- like I said, much less strict.

The only reason I say no hole with NCLA is because they don't allow tongue or nose rings... I have had many friends get PINs for wearing theres.
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

i will be youth staff. im pretty sure that the lil rings would be fine, makes me feel alot better to hear it from someone else. as for the holes, i guess i will just start shrinking them now, which will be fine.

i also have a back tattoo and a neck piercing, but those will be covered when i am working.

i hate that body modifications are still not accepted anywhere professionally, it stinks.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Think about this - just because YOU like neck piercings and think they are cool a lot of parents don't, and they wouldn't want their kids around older influences telling them they think people who don't like piercings are uncool. Bad start for you right there.

Piercings are not cool, I had a relative almost die from a staph infection from a piercing. She nearly lost her breast at the age of 21 and now has a big scar there from the abcess the hematoma left behind. Is that "cool?" and it wasn't because it was a bad piercing, it was because piercings leave openings into your body to your glands and blood vessels that bacteria can grow on and go into your body. The infection happened months after the piercing was done.

She had a neck piercing at one time, too, and they are dangerously close to your spinal column. If that gets compromised you could be crippled for life. Piercings are not just something you do - they are major body modifications by introducing foreign substances, might as well say it is cool to shoot heroin.

I wouldn't judge a person for a pierced ear or nostril, but a neck piercing or anything close to vital organs, nerves or arteries is a bad decision in my opinion.

A bartender is on thing - he is only interacting with adults. But a youth counselor?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
First Mate

At my inverview with NCLA I was told you could have no piercings other than your 'normal' ear piercings, and also no visable tattoos. She made mention of one employee who had a very small tattoo near her elbow and was made to cover it up every day before her shift started. She was in a position not even dealing with pax. I'm sure the policies for other positions, especially in the youth program, are even more strict.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Passenger

Wow. No need to be a dick. I've had my neck piercing for 6 years and no I didn't get it or any of my piercings because they are "cool".

I also have taught preschool for 5 years and my piercings have been visible, my ears were the same, the kids all can see my neck and I had a nose ring at the time.

I was just asking for a general opinion on how strict they are. And I am willing to fix my ears so they are "normal". I know that people can be very rude and ignorant.

As for the neck piercing, it will not be visible in the polo shirt that I will be wearing as my uniform. I was only wondering about the ears. I also no longer have my nose ring because I had a horrible allergy season this year and just took it out.

AND I would never tell a child that people who don't like piercings are uncool, I, unlike most adults, would never make a stereotypical decision like that for a child. When a child asks about a piercing, which they have typically called a "decoration" I just tell them that it is jewelry like anything else just in a funny place. No child or parent has ever told me that I am gross or changed their opinion on me because of them. I would hope none ever would, but the world isn't perfect.

And to compare it to heroin use... that is just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Think about this - just because YOU like neck piercings and think they are cool a lot of parents don't, and they wouldn't want their kids around older influences telling them they think people who don't like piercings are uncool. Bad start for you right there.

Piercings are not cool, I had a relative almost die from a staph infection from a piercing. She nearly lost her breast at the age of 21 and now has a big scar there from the abcess the hematoma left behind. Is that "cool?" and it wasn't because it was a bad piercing, it was because piercings leave openings into your body to your glands and blood vessels that bacteria can grow on and go into your body. The infection happened months after the piercing was done.

She had a neck piercing at one time, too, and they are dangerously close to your spinal column. If that gets compromised you could be crippled for life. Piercings are not just something you do - they are major body modifications by introducing foreign substances, might as well say it is cool to shoot heroin.

I wouldn't judge a person for a pierced ear or nostril, but a neck piercing or anything close to vital organs, nerves or arteries is a bad decision in my opinion.

A bartender is on thing - he is only interacting with adults. But a youth counselor?
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
At my inverview with NCLA I was told you could have no piercings other than your 'normal' ear piercings, and also no visable tattoos. She made mention of one employee who had a very small tattoo near her elbow and was made to cover it up every day before her shift started. She was in a position not even dealing with pax. I'm sure the policies for other positions, especially in the youth program, are even more strict.
Yeah, I am fixing my ears as we speak. As for the tattoo, the one on my back will show slightly when I am in my "formal attire" for the adult programs, so I got some special cover up for it.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Passenger

My friend, who is a waitress on a NCLA ship has several tattoo's, including one that goes from shoulder to shoulder on her back. She also had a rod that went through the top of her earlobe, but she had to remove that in order to work on the ship. I don't see anything wrong with the one in the earlobe, it's in a normal location and the gauge doesn't seem to be very low, but you're probably doing the right thing by removing them.
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_Aloha
Depends on 2 things, your position and if it is NCL or NCLA. NCLA is a little less strict, but even still, if you are in a guest job (resturaunt, staff, Housekeeping, Bar) the small ring would probably be okay but the hole they would make you take out. visible tattoos are okay on NCLA ships too, they are not as strict as international. I have friends that are waiters with full tattoo sleeves and mohawks -- like I said, much less strict.

The only reason I say no hole with NCLA is because they don't allow tongue or nose rings... I have had many friends get PINs for wearing theres.
this question is for EB_Aloha does your friends that have full sleeve tattoos work for N.C.L.A., if they do work for N.C.L.A. did N.C.L.A. make your friends wear a long sleeve shirt.please reply A.S.A.P. Sincerely, slowjoe
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Passenger

As I replied in the PM you sent as well -- no - this particular friend was a stateroom stewardess and we wear aloha shirts during the days. She was not required to cover it. I have two ankle tattoos that was not required to be covered and another friend has a full calf tattoo -- again, no requirement to cover...
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
As I replied in the PM you sent as well -- no - this particular friend was a stateroom stewardess and we wear aloha shirts during the days. She was not required to cover it. I have two ankle tattoos that was not required to be covered and another friend has a full calf tattoo -- again, no requirement to cover...
thanks for the reply, your friend does work for N.C.L.A. is that correct. Please Reply A.S.A.P. Sincerely, slowjoe
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Yes, I, as well as my friends all worked for NCLA. More specifically, the friend with the sleeve tattoos worked on the Hawaii - Myself and the girl with the calf tattoo worked on the America. and now the girl with the calf tattoo works on the Aloha. So you have all three ships covered.
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Yes, I, as well as my friends all worked for NCLA. More specifically, the friend with the sleeve tattoos worked on the Hawaii - Myself and the girl with the calf tattoo worked on the America. and now the girl with the calf tattoo works on the Aloha. So you have all three ships covered.
thanks for the reply, have a great day.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Don't let it get to you- a lot of the adults here get very touchy when it comes to piercings and tattoos. I personally do not know why. I have three myself- left cartilage, right tragus, and left side Monroe. I would get a tattoo, however, right now I can't think of anything that I like enough to justify having it on my body for the rest of my life. I do admire tattoos though. I think some of them can be beautiful and have great meaning. I also love surface piercings. One of the girls here at my university has a surface piercing between her chest; it is definitely an interesting but great looking piercing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messicamouse
Wow. No need to be a dick. I've had my neck piercing for 6 years and no I didn't get it or any of my piercings because they are "cool".

I also have taught preschool for 5 years and my piercings have been visible, my ears were the same, the kids all can see my neck and I had a nose ring at the time.

I was just asking for a general opinion on how strict they are. And I am willing to fix my ears so they are "normal". I know that people can be very rude and ignorant.

As for the neck piercing, it will not be visible in the polo shirt that I will be wearing as my uniform. I was only wondering about the ears. I also no longer have my nose ring because I had a horrible allergy season this year and just took it out.

AND I would never tell a child that people who don't like piercings are uncool, I, unlike most adults, would never make a stereotypical decision like that for a child. When a child asks about a piercing, which they have typically called a "decoration" I just tell them that it is jewelry like anything else just in a funny place. No child or parent has ever told me that I am gross or changed their opinion on me because of them. I would hope none ever would, but the world isn't perfect.

And to compare it to heroin use... that is just crazy.

Already sailed:
enchantment of the seas 4/8/04
coral princess 8/6/05
jewel of the seas 12/17/05
explorer of the seas 6/25/06
jewel of the seas 12/30/06
explorer of the seas 6/22/07
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Hey guys, I normally dont post many comments on these things, only when someone annoys me. I have to agree with messicamouse though and say that Paul Motter, you are a dick. Its people like you who are the reason people like messicamouse have to take these piercings out. You and your small minded views. I cant believe that in the year 2007 we still have stereotypical opinions about people simply because they choose to have a certain tattoo or piercing in a particular place.
I have worked with carnival for 2 contracts now in the gift shop and I have 4 holes in 1 ear (lobes) and 7 holes in the other (4 lobes, 2 at top & 1 in cartlidge) I dont know whether I was just lucky both times, but I managed to get away with the 2 at the top, the 1 in my cartlige & 1 in each of my lobes for both contracts. I took the other ones in my lobes out and just kept the others in.
As for me I hardly compare myself to a heroin user just because I liked having my ears pierced more than once!!! Oh and by the way, your relative probably got her piercing infected cause she didnt take proper care of it......
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I hate piercings ( other than a single, normal piercing on a Womans earlobes ).

Other people hate piercings too.

I wouldn't hire someone with excesive piercings ( ie any piercings whatsoever in a man, or more than one in each earlobe in a woman ) because I wouldn't want to work with them. I wouldn't want to be served by someone with excessive piercings.

Neither would a large percentage of Cruise Passengers, who would simply choose a different cruiseline.

I see excessive piercings as a form of deformation. I don't mind dealing with a deformed person when they don't have a choice. But you do have a choice when it comes to piercing. you choose to deform your body IMHO
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Passenger

I think people with piercings are terrorists. I think it is wise that cruise lines do not hire these people because they have clearly demonstrated that they have no qualms with poking holes in their own body let alone the bottom of a ship. Also I think ice-fishermen fall into this category.

I don't have piercings because I never felt the need to demonstrate my personality through them, however that does not mean I think less of people who have them. I also think people have blown this whole topic out of proportion. Whether you may like it or not people do judge on appearance and that judgment reflects their own experiences in life. To call someone shallow minded about this topic is unfair as they may have more understanding about a different subject (i.e. working on a cruise ship for several years) and I am sure you would not appreciate them accusing you of being a shallow minded person or a dick.
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Default Go Scolio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
I think people with piercings are terrorists. I think it is wise that cruise lines do not hire these people because they have clearly demonstrated that they have no qualms with poking holes in their own body let alone the bottom of a ship. Also I think ice-fishermen fall into this category.

I don't have piercings because I never felt the need to demonstrate my personality through them, however that does not mean I think less of people who have them. I also think people have blown this whole topic out of proportion. Whether you may like it or not people do judge on appearance and that judgment reflects their own experiences in life. To call someone shallow minded about this topic is unfair as they may have more understanding about a different subject (i.e. working on a cruise ship for several years) and I am sure you would not appreciate them accusing you of being a shallow minded person or a dick.
This is the best and funniest response I've read in a while. Here's the thing. People with piercings are not really horrible people. I'm pretty sure Scolio was joking about the terrorist thing.
But, while Paul may have strong feelings about piercings because of his personal experiences, he was not in my opinion being a "dick." He was being honest.
I don't judge people based on their body art or piercings outright. Okay, that's a lie. I judge people based on their tattoos the same way I judge people based on the way they dress. If you don't do the same, you're probably stoned, stupid or both.
As long as we're being honest, I think tattoos can be really cool, and while some of the more exotic piercings squick me out a bit, I don't really mind them either. But I still get an impression of what I think of a person based on their appearance, speech, body language, dress, grooming, etc. You have to. Would a sensible African American get on an elevator alone with a big, mean looking skinheaded white guy wearing a rebel flag Tshirt and with a swastika tattoo? Probably not. While that's an extreme example, we make the same sorts of judgements every day, for perfectly good reasons.
While there are many perfectly nice, kind, decent people with tattoos and piercings (most of them, I would assume), I would also bet you next week's paycheck that if you took an accurate survey, the incidence of drug use, or the likelihood of sexual promiscuity is significantly higher among the tats and piercings crowd than among the unmarked, unpierced folks.
Why? Because most people who get body art do so because it's part of their social mileu, and the social sets that do lots of body art are overwhelmingly made up of rockers, clubbers, DJs, and other varieties of partiers. I'm not saying it's all people with body art, and I'm not saying that it's wrong for consenting adults to do whatever they do and burn one down in the privacy of their own home. But facts are facts. Question: HOw many virgins have you met that have a tribal on their lower back?
And if you mark youself in a way that is not generally recognized as normal (lots of people do it specifically so that they can be noticably "different"), be prepared for people to notice, and to treat you differently.
The cruise lines know this. They know that they have lots of older passengers in particular, who are downright narrow minded on the subject of body modifications. Offended by them. Even though the passengers are being narrow minded, they are still paying the bills.
Again, I'm not saying that the lifestyles referenced above are wrong, just that there are certain lifestyles that are (quite fairly) associated with people who have body mods. If you can't accept that fact, and the judgments of others that come with it, maybe you should leave your skin in peace.

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

If there were two otherwise identical outlets ( restaurant, shop. whatever ), and one of them had 20% higher prices, and the other had the other one had staff with the ears as shown above, then I'd pay the 20% premium to be served by normal staff.

People have a choice - they can either express their individuality by turning themselves into self-mutilated deformed freaks, or they can be a team player, and try to fit in. As an employor I'd favour the latter one, and immediately disqualify the first one.

I'm uncomfortable in the presence of people with such modifications, or excessive gangster-like tatoos - I probably could get past that discomfort, but why should I? I refuse to work with such people - I don't have to.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Passenger

Oh, the irony smacks hard.

People get tats and body mods to be seen as different or to follow the crowd that wants to be seen as different. Yet as soon as they are called different, they call those people narrow minded.

If I wore brass knuckles as jewelry and had the word HATE tatooed on my face, would I be able to call people narrow minded when they avoided me or call them dicks when they singled me out? Maybe my perception is different, but the majority of people will only read one message.

When you get tatoos or body mods, you are willfully entering a sub culture. That sub culture has a place where it thrives and flourishes and it has a place where it it viewed poorly.

If I showed up to a Suicidal Tendencies concert in a slacks and a preppie sweater, at best I would simply get a lot stares and at worst I probably would need to go to the hospital.

Don't make a statement that shows you are different and then expect to get treated like you are not different.

The cruise lines as well as most of the hospitality industry caters to the mainstream. Accept that or seek a job where different is preferred.

If the mainstream shifts to tats and body mods, those who wish to be different will seek other ways to show their differences.

If you want the job, you will fit the image required. I remember being told if you wanted to interview for IBM, you wear a blue blazer, yellow dress shirt, and red paisley tie. Doing otherwise sent the message that you didn't know and/or didn't care to find out.

And don't call someone a 'dick' becasue they have a different opinion, especially when that opinion was solicited. And under any circumstances, don't call the site moderator a 'dick'.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
When you get tatoos or body mods, you are willfully entering a sub culture. That sub culture has a place where it thrives and flourishes and it has a place where it it viewed poorly.

If I showed up to a Suicidal Tendencies concert in a slacks and a preppie sweater, at best I would simply get a lot stares and at worst I probably would need to go to the hospital..
Okay. first of all - over 39 million americans have tattoos. that is a HUGE sub-culture as you call it. Tattooing is an ancient art, it's dated back about 5,000 years. Why do some consider it so taboo?

And your comment on being beat up at a suicidal tendencies concert is uncalled for. Jumping to conclusions based on appearance is ridiculous. Your quick judgement on a persons charector based on the type music they listen to or the way they choose to express themselves is wrong and in my opinion is the same as a race judgement or a religous judgement.

I am not telling you to like tattoos, I am not telling you to love the guy with a 3 inch whole in his ear. I am just making you aware of your rash judgements and how harmful they can be.
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven

If I showed up to a Suicidal Tendencies concert in a slacks and a preppie sweater, at best I would simply get a lot stares and at worst I probably would need to go to the hospital..
Okay. first of all - over 39 million americans have tattoos. that is a HUGE sub-culture as you call it. Tattooing is an ancient art, it's dated back about 5,000 years. Why do some consider it so taboo?

And your comment on being beat up at a suicidal tendencies concert is uncalled for. Jumping to conclusions based on appearance is ridiculous. Your quick judgement on a persons charector based on the type music they listen to or the way they choose to express themselves is wrong and in my opinion is the same as a race judgement or a religous judgement.

I am not telling you to like tattoos, I am not telling you to love the guy with a 3 inch whole in his ear. I am just making you aware of your rash judgements and how harmful they can be.
FYI - the cruise line industry is i n t e r n a t i o n a l (even though that word doesn't mean anything to some millions of americans).
I fully support Paul Motters view here. He's not a dick. Messicamouse asked for opinions, she got them. Here's another one: You're going to a cruise ship - not a bad taste party (even though some cruise ships look exactly like that )

Remember you may deal with a lot of cultures onboard and some are offended by tattoos or creative piercings. You choose to work for a cruise line - then it's up to you to fit in to their appearance policy.

Also remember to tie your hair up from your shoulders. I've seen people getting written warnings for not looking according to policy.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Passenger

The ships that this woman will be working on is an american-flagged ship, not an international. Not that this matters - but I wanted to make sure you realized this.

I personally found it offensive that I was forced by my dress code to wear heals to do turn downs in because I am a woman, the men wore black non-slip tennis shoes... I am just saying.

I guess my point is we all have things we get offended by -- but generalizing all americans and personally offending me by lumping everyone together as a bunch of socially unconcious idiots who go around with blinders on is uncalled for.

I happen to be well-traveled, cultured, liberal who strongly believes in internationalism, that we are one world and one race. So save your judgements for someone else.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
The ships that this woman will be working on is an american-flagged ship, not an international. Not that this matters - but I wanted to make sure you realized this.

I personally found it offensive that I was forced by my dress code to wear heals to do turn downs in because I am a woman, the men wore black non-slip tennis shoes... I am just saying.

I guess my point is we all have things we get offended by -- but generalizing all americans and personally offending me by lumping everyone together as a bunch of socially unconcious idiots who go around with blinders on is uncalled for.

I happen to be well-traveled, cultured, liberal who strongly believes in internationalism, that we are one world and one race. So save your judgements for someone else.
Where does it say that she's going to NCLA? She said she interviewed for a YC position, so with only one ship left in the NCLA fleet there's a good chance she'll end up in NCL which within a few months will have three of their ships in Europe.

My "judgements" are not to you personally, but after three years dealing with a majority of amarican passengers, I've learned that a great deal have no idea what's going on outside their own country.

If you're well travelled and cultured - good for you, keep it like that.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Passenger

regarding her working for NCL or NCLA - I was thinking that the exchange between slowjoe was between me and messicamouse, I was thinking because of that, that she was with NCLA.

Also, only two of the three, as far as I have heard, were going international. My old ship, the America, is staying for the time being, if that leaves, NCLA will be obsolete.

I understand you opinion on many Americans - but I am not one for broad stereotypes, and that was one. Yes, the rest of the world sees Americans as boistrous, loud, uncaring troublemakers - but there is a huge part of us that is sick of that reputation and do what they can in their part of the world to change it.