Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Default Best way to apply to new cruise line, advice needed

Hello, when you want to leave your cruise line, what's the best way to apply and what's the best thing to say? I mean, those of you that have worked at different cruiselines, how do you hop from one to the other? is it easy?
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - cruise experience is the best qualifier to get you a cruise ship job. The trick is to acquire signed recommendation letters from your superiors at the line you work for now.

Tell them you want to have them on record in case you ever need to leave and want to come back.

Then photo-copy them and send them to the cruise line you want to work for, along with your resume. Don't bad-mouth the line you work for (in fact, say you like them), just say how much more you admire the line you want to work for.

I worked for 3 different lines, and was able to move from a job to a new line that paid better, was less work and the itineraries were more interesting.
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:29 AM
First Mate

Remember the cruise line world can be a small one - and if you're a US citizen, they really DO all know each other - most of the hiring parters have come from shipboard jobs themselves and have worked for a couple different companies.

Number one rull is donn't say you'll quit your job to come work for the next cruise line. BIG no-no!!

They usually won't even offer to interview you if they know you're currently employed by a competitor, but will ask you to call the the moment you get back home.

I was with NCL when I got calls from HAL and Princess, neither would even offer me a gig until I was off contract. RCCL called me a week or two before sign off, so I was able to do a quick phone interview and then asked to come to Miami for a 'hiring event' the weekend after I signed off the Sun. I was offered a job the following day and on the next ship of the next line the next weekend.

Then in 3 months, C-Deck called offering me Silversea/Radisson/Crystal vacation fills, but by this time, I was just offered a managment gig with RCCL and decided to go with the porthole, own room and medical coverage, instead of the world itineraries and a job I was getting tired of.

What was getting the calls was the ship experience (esp doing a take out, i.e. brand new ship) and solid resume with references.
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Beginner

Paul, sz, thanks for your advice.

I had already requested a letter of verification of employment, I thold them it was for a mortgaga application.

I'll print my resume, request a reference letter from one of my ex supervisors who is no longer witht he company and will mail them to as many cruise lines as I can.

I hope to get some emails back from them.

Thanks again
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Beginner

sorry. This was a duplicate of the previous post.
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar0001
Paul, sz, thanks for your advice.

I had already requested a letter of verification of employment, I thold them it was for a mortgaga application.

I'll print my resume, request a reference letter from one of my ex supervisors who is no longer witht he company and will mail them to as many cruise lines as I can.

I hope to get some emails back from them.

Thanks again

Just curious, why do you want to leave your current position and send out your resume to as many other lines as you can? What do you dislike about your current job that you will like better elsewhere?
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Beginner

One more question. As sz mentioned what's best is to praise the new line. What else would be a good answer when asked why I want to leave? If I apply to angents that hire for different cruise lines what would be best to tell them? I know mentioning I'm looking for a better itinerary would be one, but what about Disney? they only do the Caribbean so the intinerary thing is out of question.

Any advice?
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
One more question. As sz mentioned what's best is to praise the new line. What else would be a good answer when asked why I want to leave? If I apply to angents that hire for different cruise lines what would be best to tell them? I know mentioning I'm looking for a better itinerary would be one, but what about Disney? they only do the Caribbean so the intinerary thing is out of question.

Any advice?
Again, why do YOU want to leave? Tell THEM, and US your HONEST answer?
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
I do not appreciate the tone in your post. If you do not wish to help kindly refrain from replying.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
I do not appreciate the tone in your post. If you do not wish to help kindly refrain from replying.
All I'm saying is that you must have a reason why you want to hop from cruise line to cruise line. Rather than lying about your reasons to the perspective employer, be honest with them.

Rather than lying about saying you need a recommendation letter for a mortgage, be honest with your current employer.