Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Default What did you/didnt bring?

For past and current crew, any items in particular you did not bring that you wished you would have, or any items you did bring that you wish you would have left home?
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What did you/didnt bring?

Seriously! I need help with this one too!

I am leaving Nov. 16th. I have NO idea what to bring.

I was considering my laptop so I can both watch dvds AND upload my photos from my camera to send in emails to people. But I don't really think it would be a good idea or 100% necessary to bring it.

I am def bringing my ipod, cell, and camera.

Still unsure about how much clothes... that's what I'm really stressin about. Also I need to bring nice outfits because I may have to run adult activities, I don't want to pack too much but I don't want to be seen in the same one outfit the whole time! plus if it got dirty or whatever. meh.

I need help.
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM
First Mate

regardless of what you think you'll need, you can feasibly cut in in half and be able to survive.

Bring enough socks and underwear for a least 2 weeks - you don't know when the first time you'll be able to score a washer OR have time to do laundry.

Yes on any electronics. Don't overload on actual DVD's and CD's. Rip and have an external hard drive. If you can record any popular series current episodes - you'll be a very popular person! Right now my line is seriously into House and Prison Break. You GOTTA have a laptop to mentally survive. It will become your sanity break - whether to watch or listen, compose emails, track finances, etc. Crew areas and ports have hotspots - take advantage of them!

Bring a power strip. I've been on a heap of ships and you only have 2 110v plugs. Maybe one will be your fridge and the other will have EVERYTHING else in your cabin on it. And you'll most likely be sharing that with another person. Nice to have dual voltage hair dryers/curlers with adapter plugs (to european - round, two round plugs 220v). Rechargable batteries for anything that needs it.

Can't think of too many cruise itineraries that don't have a 'civilized' port on the run, so anything you forget or don't want to carry can be purchased within a week or so. I really advise taking everything you'd think you'd need for two weeks.

ALL ships have a crew 'store' called the slop chest. Everything from snacks, sodas, batteries, cd's, DVD rentals, socks, shampoo, razors, detergent, etc, etc - It's will get you through to the time you can get to the Walgreens or Walmart. Some are better stocked than others (my favorite being the RCL Radiance with the Ben & Jerry's pints ;-)

I've also learned to color coordinate my 'off duty' clothes. everything blue and green, mix and match. My uniforms are all black, so everthing 'under' is also. Make for an easy one load laundry wash.

If you can - try to get ahold of someone onboard you ship to find out what you "really" need. You might be spending more time in a company provided uniform than you think - so it's really OK to be seen in that same outfiit the whole time ;-) EVERYONE else is too!!!! . . .they know better . If you're cruise staff - one formal outfit, on 'smart casual' outfit, the rest is unforms and that's your tradition 7 day cruise!

I think there's been a couple other theads on this topic in the past couple years - if i find them, i'll bump them
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Passenger

thank you!

i wanted to make sure i wasnt insane for wanting to bring my laptop!

as for a formal outfit... is that like... HARDCORE formal? or just like... something id wear to maybe a wedding or nice dinner? and smart casual... like a top and skirt? meh. its tough for me because i almost NEVER dress up so i need to go shopping!

thank you sooo much i never wouldve thought to bring a surge protector... duh im bringing so many things that i need to recharge!!! (camera batteries/cellphone/alarmclock)!
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFORMATION

I KNOW U SAID HOTSPOTS AROUND

INTERNET IN THE ROOMS/CABINS?
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokal612
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFORMATION

I KNOW U SAID HOTSPOTS AROUND

INTERNET IN THE ROOMS/CABINS?
Yes, correct.
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Passenger

when you are out of port do the aircards still work in crew areas?
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
when you are out of port do the aircards still work in crew areas?
The ships Internet will work all the time, in port or at sea. From what I've been told, cell service and wireless internet will work in crew areas most of the time, just because you arent that far off the coast as it is. Also, with NCLA you are in port everyday, so you should be able to access a hotspot on land at those times.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Passenger

ok cool, I just do not want to get an aircard and not have it work when I really need it too. That would be annoying to commit to a $59 a month and not have it work.
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
ok cool, I just do not want to get an aircard and not have it work when I really need it too. That would be annoying to commit to a $59 a month and not have it work.
I plan on waiting until I get on board to see how much time I actually have time to go online. If it makes having a card worth it, I plan on going to the verizon store in honolulu and activating service with them. If I get it on ship and find that I cant get any service where I need to in crew areas, it will still be under their money back guarantee. I think you have 15 or 30 days to retun it, no questions asked.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Default bring lots of socks and underwears...

theres nothing wrong in bringing a laptop and misc. devices like ipod and camera, internet wifi works well even in the staff cabins, in port or at sea. And bring some adapter plugs for your devices.

but I must second the say, as what sz said preferably bring a lot of socks and underwear, a trip to the staff laundry doesnt mean you'll always find a working or vacant machine to fit your sched. And dont leave your stuff out there in the laundry area or leave your wash in the machine long after its washed there are some possible thieves there, especially the ones that didnt bring a whole load of socks and/or underwear, it happens, (in my experience in crystal cruises), never happened to me, but i know a bunch of guys that usually gets their socks and boxers stolen at the wash.

Bring a shaver if you like(the one the barbers use to cut your hair off to a skinhead). Saves petty cash from getting haircuts at the ship.