Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
First Mate

Default NCLA MMD Turnaround time?

Submitted the MMD application at the Boston REC center yesterday. In and out in less than an hour. I was told it should take 2 to 3 weeks, but because its their slow season, expect it in about a week or two at most.

We should be to Piney Point for training by the end of the month

Has anyone gotten their MMD in less than two weeks? Has it taken longer than 3 weeks for any of you?
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Passenger

I submitted mine at the coast guard here in Honolulu on Monday the 15th and they told me it usually takes 4-6 weeks but i'm training with a girl right now who just got hers after 2 weeks. Of course there was also a guy here who's mmd took 6 weeks to arrive. So here's hoping since it's the slow season for them that we'll all get them sooner!

Cheers,
John
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdevil13
I submitted mine at the coast guard here in Honolulu on Monday the 15th and they told me it usually takes 4-6 weeks but i'm training with a girl right now who just got hers after 2 weeks. Of course there was also a guy here who's mmd took 6 weeks to arrive. So here's hoping since it's the slow season for them that we'll all get them sooner!

Cheers,
John
What position were you hired for? How are you at training without first getting your MMD?
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Passenger

I've been hired as a massage therapist and I've already done my basic safety training at a military place near Honolulu and now I'm doing my training at the Hilton on Waikiki. So after my spa training and my mmd comes in than I can get on board one of the ships. I've seen the Pride of America and the Pride of Hawaii in the harbor and they look to be pretty nice ships.
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdevil13
I've been hired as a massage therapist and I've already done my basic safety training at a military place near Honolulu and now I'm doing my training at the Hilton on Waikiki. So after my spa training and my mmd comes in than I can get on board one of the ships. I've seen the Pride of America and the Pride of Hawaii in the harbor and they look to be pretty nice ships.
Ah, thanks. Maybe we'll be on the same ship. Have they told you yet what ship you'll be assigned to?
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Passenger

nope, don't know what ship i'll be on as of yet. Though tomorrow we're going to go and take a tour of the Pride of Aloha while it's in port, I think it's that ship at least. And guess what!?! I got my mmd yesterday! I applied on monday and I already got in less than a week! So now as soon as my spa training is finished than I get to board.
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Passenger

do you know if there are special discounts for employees to get massages?
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolio
As far as I'm aware you have to pay the same price as the guests otherwise you'd need to to make arrangements with one of the therapists to trade services of some sort on your off time.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Even with a discount, if any, it would probably be cheaper to get a massage someplace while in port. Not to belittle the work that massage therapists do, but getting a massage whileonboard is not that cheap!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
This is from the NCLA employment site. I presume the following is true of massages also:

Is there a place on board to get your hair cut and for manicures?

In order to get hair cuts & manicures they would have to go to the salon on board the ship for passengers. Must check availability & guests come first, so must take whatever is available, if anything. Must get permission from their dept. head and pay set fees plus tip… I believe the fees are somewhat reduced for crew. Considering that the crew has the opportunity to go ashore almost on a daily basis, they could also choose a barber shop/hair salon shore side.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Quote:
This is from the NCLA employment site. I presume the following is true of massages also:

Is there a place on board to get your hair cut and for manicures?

In order to get hair cuts & manicures they would have to go to the salon on board the ship for passengers. Must check availability & guests come first, so must take whatever is available, if anything. Must get permission from their dept. head and pay set fees plus tip… I believe the fees are somewhat reduced for crew. Considering that the crew has the opportunity to go ashore almost on a daily basis, they could also choose a barber shop/hair salon shore side.
do you know what ship you'll be on already? If you're on the Aloha from what I know of they don't have a hairdresser at this moment so you couldn't get your hair done there. The ship is a little under staffed. You probably could get a massage on shore for a cheaper price and maybe better quality if you want specific attention to certain aches and pains. The Therapists on board are basically taught a specific way to treat each client so that the therapist doesn't wear themselves out over the course of our 8 month contract.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Passenger

I am hoping whatever boat I am on the message therapists need a lot of computer help.

I am leaving IT work to be a janitor, and move into IT as it becomes available.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
First Mate

From what I've been told we wont find out our ship assignments until after training in MD. Right now were one week into waiting for MMD cards to come back.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Passenger

Quote:
I am hoping whatever boat I am on the message therapists need a lot of computer help.

I am leaving IT work to be a janitor, and move into IT as it becomes available.
well I know that we don't do our scheduling using a computer. it's all done on paper. However i'm sure there must be a computer of some sort used by the spa.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Passenger

so I meant that I hope they have a laptop or something like that.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

SOUNDS LIKE I WILL BE SEEING SOME OF YALL ON ONE OF THE SHIPS

IMA SERVER WAITING FOR MY MMD, THEN ON TO MARYLAND

vokal612@gmail.com
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
First Mate

My wife and I applied on the 16th in Boston. According to the USCG website, we were both issued MMD cards on the 22nd-- just under a week. It says to allow 2 to 4 days to receive them in the mail, which would be today, however they must be mailed to hawaii... Anyone know how long it takes for a letter to go from Boston to Hawaii?
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Passenger

assuming that the you are sending a letter from a city full of drunken Irishmen halfway around the globe to a island in the middle of the ocean it will probably never get there.

Just kidding, there aren't that many Irish in Boston anymore.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Passenger

VOKAL, Im going to be a server also. Im also waiting on my mmd card. Got fingerprinted in SC. Its been 3 weeks. should be any day now...Hope to see you soon
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Passenger

I called my recruiter, she received my MMD, Im leaving Saturday for training...Hope to see you all there....

Maybe call your recruiter,,I think mine is so busy, when I called she looked for it and told me "YES ITS HERE WHEN DO YOU WANT TO GO" and offered me 3 different dates, of course I picked the earliest!!! [/b]
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veets43
I called my recruiter, she received my MMD, Im leaving Saturday for training...Hope to see you all there....

Maybe call your recruiter,,I think mine is so busy, when I called she looked for it and told me "YES ITS HERE WHEN DO YOU WANT TO GO" and offered me 3 different dates, of course I picked the earliest!!! [/b]
Look for my wife and I. We are scheduled to go to PP on the 10th as well.
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Hi my name is Veleta, I have deep red hair, and im short about 5'2..I have lived in NY the last 10years before going to Florida, the land of plenty(money, more like crooks though) Im temporarily with my son who is in the Navy just until I could get on my feet. So now Im off to Hawaii, Im very excitied...
You said look for you and your wife, what do you look like? what are your first names? are you from NY? LUMOFNY
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veets43
Hi my name is Veleta, I have deep red hair, and im short about 5'2..I have lived in NY the last 10years before going to Florida, the land of plenty(money, more like crooks though) Im temporarily with my son who is in the Navy just until I could get on my feet. So now Im off to Hawaii, Im very excitied...
You said look for you and your wife, what do you look like? what are your first names? are you from NY? LUMOFNY
My name is David and my wife's name is Lauren. We are from from Central NY. We are scheduled to arrive at BWI this saturday around 2pm. Maybe we'll see each other at the airport. If not, I'm sure at PP. Do you know how many people are there each session?
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Passenger

No I dont, but i did snoop around my space and you tube,, and there appears to be quite a few at a time.
Im scheduled to arrive 1230 at the airport delta airlines from atanta GA
we might be on the same bus to Piney Point..See you there hopefully