Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mmg84 Send a message via MSN to mmg84
Default MMD application

so i did my drug test last wednesday and i'm pretty sure the mmd fingerprinting is next. I was reading the application and it says i have to have 3 letters of recomendation. what kind of letters are they looking for? from employers or people that know you personally?
Also how long did it take you to get on board from the time you took your drug test till the time you left for md training?
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: MMD application

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg84
so i did my drug test last wednesday and i'm pretty sure the mmd fingerprinting is next. I was reading the application and it says i have to have 3 letters of recomendation. what kind of letters are they looking for? from employers or people that know you personally?
Also how long did it take you to get on board from the time you took your drug test till the time you left for md training?
If you are applying for NCLA you will not need the letters of recommendation.

You should get the results of the medical in about 10 days after you get tested. Once they clear you will get a call from your RA asking you when you are free to set up your flight to the REC. For my wife and I our medical was cleared on a Wenesday and we were flown to the REC on the following Tuesday. In Boston they only do apps on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday so we actually got scheduled the next available day.

The MMD app was painless. We showed the examiner our documents and got sworn in. We got fingerprinted and that was it. We were at the REC for 40 minutes tops. The examiner at the REC said expect 2 to 3 weeks for the card to arrive, but because its a slow time of year for them right now, expect about a week to two. From what our RA said we should expect to leave for training at PP by the end of October.

We attended the job fair and accecpted positions with NCLA on September 13. They said from start to finish the whole process would be 4 to 6 weeks. If all goes smoothly, it will be 6 weeks for us until we're at training. This includes my wife and I taking a week and a half off for a cruise If it werent for the cruise, chances are we'd have out flight info for PP right now.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
First Mate

Here is the info I received from my NCLA RA about the MMD application process. Attached to this email was blank MMD application as well as our flight info to and from the REC. As you can tell, you DO NOT NEED three letters of recommendation.

This should be the same info as you will receive:

Aloha!

You have been scheduled to attend a Coast Guard Regional Examination Center (REC) to submit your application for your Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD). Before departing to the REC, however, I want to discuss some important details so the process may run smoothly.

You probably already noticed there are some attachments in this email and you must pay special attention to all because they are very important. The first attachment is a blank MMD application, which you have to print and fill out and present it to the Coast Guard, upon arrival. You are to fill out Section I- Personal data, Section II- check only the box that says Merchant Mariners Document (MMD)-Original, Section III- Narcotics, DWI/ DUI, and Conviction Record. Please sign where it says signature of applicant on Section III, Section V- Mariners Consent (the NDR mandatory section only) and Section VI. The second document attached is the MMD Point of Contact Letter that you must also print out and sign. If you need help or have any questions regarding these documents, please call me right away.

The last attachment contains instructions on what you need to do upon arriving at the Boston Logan Airport. This document has important directions on where you are to go and meet a representative from NCLA. Please contact me should you have any questions or concerns or if you are missing any of the attachments. If your flight is delayed, make sure you speak with the airline representative at the counter so they can schedule you for next flight.

It is imperative that you take with you to the REC the completed forms, along with your original birth certificate, Social Security card, driver’s license and two passport photos. The Coast Guard will request these documents as well and if you do not present them with your application, the Coast Guard will NOT accept your application.

Please note that NCLA is paying for your flight to the Coast Guard Regional Examination Center, if for any reason you arrive without this application and your original documents we will not transport you to apply for your MMD, nor will we pay for your transportation home. If you have to reschedule, PLEASE DO SO AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mmg84 Send a message via MSN to mmg84
Default Re: MMD application

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg84
If you are applying for NCLA you will not need the letters of recommendation.

You should get the results of the medical in about 10 days after you get tested. Once they clear you will get a call from your RA asking you when you are free to set up your flight to the REC. For my wife and I our medical was cleared on a Wenesday and we were flown to the REC on the following Tuesday. In Boston they only do apps on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday so we actually got scheduled the next available day.

The MMD app was painless. We showed the examiner our documents and got sworn in. We got fingerprinted and that was it. We were at the REC for 40 minutes tops. The examiner at the REC said expect 2 to 3 weeks for the card to arrive, but because its a slow time of year for them right now, expect about a week to two. From what our RA said we should expect to leave for training at PP by the end of October.

We attended the job fair and accecpted positions with NCLA on September 13. They said from start to finish the whole process would be 4 to 6 weeks. If all goes smoothly, it will be 6 weeks for us until we're at training. This includes my wife and I taking a week and a half off for a cruise If it werent for the cruise, chances are we'd have out flight info for PP right now.
Hey thanks that was very helpful