I origially was offered the job for ncla in april of 07 but after a week of research and thinking I turned it down at that time. (utility gallery). At that tiime i would have hadto stay in piney point for 4 weeks.
I think things have changed?
Now I kow that the recruiters have a repetation for lying so i was hoping to get thigs cleared up.
1. Do I need to know how to swim? For the training? I cant really swim well
2. Would I get paye weekly or biweekly?
3. I'm 19 just want to have something to do before i go back to college.
Is there may people my age on board.
4. Do I need a Passport, to work in hawaii? I live in Maryland.
5. How is the TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do they show regular tv in the cabins (local channels/news)? I like to stay up to date.
6. I noticed that there is nojobfair i my area for awhile. Maryland is not even on the list. Is there a email address or phone number i which i contact them? or reapply?
You do not need to know how to swim. Safety training will be done in a pool wearing a PFD. From what I know, you will have a number of stations from the sattelite feed on the TV in your cabin. Pay is biweekly. You will probably find that most the crew is about your age - late teens to late 30's. You will need a passport.
As far as jobfair, chances are you will have to attend one before being offered the job. I emailed my resume and my response was to come to a job fair. I submitted the application form online and their response was to attend the job fair. Jobs onboard ships are very people intensive and they want to see you in person before offering the position. They ALWAYS need utility galleys so my recommendation would be to hop a bus to the nearest jobfair and invest a little time and money into the job. If I saw someone come out of state just to attend the fair I'd assume that they would be dedicated to the job and serious about it.
Since I assume you already checked out the website to get jobfair dates, why dont you check out their FAQ. It has answered some commly asked questions... I think just about ever question you just asked..
why are the job fairs getting limited. I thought they were always looking
One reason may be the fact that early 2008 NCLA is reducing their fleet to 2 ships from 3. This essentially means they will need only 1/3 their current staff. They probably arent recruiting as agressively, or being more particular about who they hire.
If I were you and wanting to get a job with NCLA, apply now! You never know what their hiring will be like as the date to drop down to two ships gets closer. Better to have an in now then try to get in later on.