Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Beginner

Default Rookie going to aboard on Carnival ship,want tips about job

Greeting!

I got a position on a ship, but I have two questions

1. Will this job take too much time and drive me away from have my own fun(travel the port when docked, join club, drink,etc)

Here is the job description
Carnival line
FOR MARKETING AND SALES REPRESENTATIVES
1.Operate the ***** desk - port days hours usually from 4pm-7pm & 9pm-11pm, Sea Days 10am - 12pm, 2-5, 9-11 depending on ship. This consists of manning the desk during the hours stated and talking to guest as they pass by.
2. Twice during the cruise they will place brochures in housekeeping for cabin placement.
3 you will process applications from the computer for online enrollment and approval. This takes about 4 min to process.
4.you will be responsible for sending in various reports to the office on a daily and weekly basis.

However, My friend's friennd, who is work in this area, told me" most likely you would be in a cubical processing credit card transactions away from the public unless he trains to become a Purser or a Tour Guide Salesman"

I am a "Congregation animal", afraid to be isolated.......
So, anyone could tell me the perspective of this job?

2. I pay over 500USD to the agent for this job,is it too much?

whatever, working on a ship must be exsiting...... :-)

Also, I plan to burn some TV seris into DVD, any advisor? which should I choose, prison break?/sex and city?/(I don't know which in popular on ship, I want to take them to share with crew)
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The hours don't sound too bad. As far as TV, I think sex and the city would be great. If you have staff rights you will get out in public enough.

If you don't like it, use it for an opportunity to move into another position. A lot of people get different jobs after their first contract - just network with the right people.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
The hours don't sound too bad. As far as TV, I think sex and the city would be great. If you have staff rights you will get out in public enough.

If you don't like it, use it for an opportunity to move into another position. A lot of people get different jobs after their first contract - just network with the right people.

Thank for for your prompt reply :-)

and do you have other recommend except sex and city? bcs I am gonna spent six months on ship.. so only one tv series can't last that long...
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Any HBO series. Deadwood is great, or Sopranos. Personally, I would take movies.

One movie the Brits love but cannot see in their country is Clockwork Orange.

You will have a cabin TV with movies on it anyway, though they will tend to repeat a lot.
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Any HBO series. Deadwood is great, or Sopranos. Personally, I would take movies.

One movie the Brits love but cannot see in their country is Clockwork Orange.

You will have a cabin TV with movies on it anyway, though they will tend to repeat a lot.

Thanx a lot , for you patient answer 。。。。。。。
I hope I could socialize with crew well.... I am from China and never been to a ship...

I am wondering what is the ethic percent on the ship in Caribbean line.. I hope could met some Asian girls there..

anyway, Thank for for your reply :-)
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Congratulations to you on your new adventure! I don't know what the percentage is but in my opinion there's a good number of Asian men and women crew on board all of the Carnival vessels. Most of them are from India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines. Good luck and have fun!
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Default t.v. shows that are popular

There are several popular series running on US t.v. these days. They include:
Grey's Anatomy
House
LOST
Prison Break
Survivor
Amazing Race
Ghost Whisperer
Desperate Housewives

and the list goes on and on, ad nauseum!
Most series run for at least 6 months if not the whole school year time frame (Sept-May). Many are already out on DVD from the previous seasons.
Good luck in your newest endeavors! And yes, I have seen many, many Asians onboard. Go w/ on open mind on relationships though. Go for the job and if a relationship happens, be happy. If it doesn't happen, still be happy! You are working in an amazing industry and will have all kinds of experiences (hopefully more good than bad) to recount in your future.

Blessings and congrats to you in this!