Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Default Royal Caribbean Medical

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am from the U.K and have been offered a position with Royal Caribbean on the understanding that I pass the required pre-employment medical.
The problem is that after checking around the only place I can find that can do all the tests required is a private clinic in London and they want £1100.
I was hoping that somebody who has been in a similar situation in England had better luck than me and could point me in the right direction!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Passenger

hi haz.. well i understand you're in a triky situation..well i live in italy..and i had to pay all my medical and it was quite a sum.. the fortune was that i did all the exams in public facilities..I had to wait two weeks but i spent certainly less than i would have in a private clinic...
I don't know what is the situation in the UK have you tried public facilities???
And remember to have your medical complete before leaving..you wouldn't want to do it onboard...that would be reallly really expensive!!
sorry if i can't help
ciao
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to bradyusi Send a message via Yahoo to bradyusi

just a note from someone who has been there.. if you don't get your medical done prior to boarding the ship, or for some reason, come on ship with all or part of your medical incomplete, they will either have you complete it at the next possible port (if it's not serious) or you will not be allowed to board and will be sent home.

i don't know the current conversion rate, but i paid $650US for my medical. so 1100GBP sounds to be in the right ballpark. but as a previous poster said, i would try to get the medical priced at different facilities. in the US we have local clinics that treat things such as colds, flus and work related injuries for when we can not get in to see our normal doctor. for me, it was less there than at my normal doctor. but i know health coverage differs from country to country.. so the one piece of advice is to get different quotes for the medical.

by the way.. what job are you applying for?
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

What kind of medicals are we talking about here? I've been a seaman all my life and the medical certificate acc to STCW is a consultation with a seaman's doctor, some blood samples, x-ray and a urine sample for drugtests. All in all this would cost around £ 60 in a private clinic in Norway.
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Beginner

i'm italian and in italy we go to the cassa marittima and it is all free of charge.
what kind of examination are we talking about here??