Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Actually, NO... Minimum wage in NJ was $5.15 per hour and in 2005 Governor Richard Codey signed a bill into law which increased New Jersey's minimum hourly wage to $7.15 per hour...

HOWEVER I looked it up and a tipped employee ie: waiter- is paid only $2.15 per hour/minimum wage + tips. PLUS they have to tip out 3% of their sales to the busser, foodrunner and bar.

so... you still think thats fair?
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Admiral

OMG I cannot believe I am typing this but this time Animal Rights is not exagerrating, kind of. Most waiters and waitresses are not paid anything close to your state's minimum wage by their employers. The employer pays basically a portion of the states minimum wage because it is offset by the assumption that the server will be making tips and the combination of tips and hourly wage they are paid will equal or exceed the state's minimum wage. However, at least where I live, it is not mandated that they have to tip out 3% of their sales to the busser, foodrunner and bar and that varies by the establishments they work in.

So at the end of the day with tips and hourly wages combined waitstaff should make at least minimum wage in an ideal world, However, if you suck at it, or you work in a place with lousy food, you are probably going to take a dramatic cut in pay.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Well I know in most states here in the USA tipped employee's only get half of minimum wage which is 2.13 an hour. Personally I think most of the crew and staff are over worked. Most of them have Headquaters ini the USA but they do not have to follow american Labor laws which congress has been looking at to change no matter where the ships are registered out of. I had a pretty easy job as a DJ. But not one night off the whole contract. Yet others in the entertainment division would. Singers got nights off, dancers got them, musicians got them, activity staff got them. The fact is very very few americans work on crusie ships. On my ship we had 6 americans working on board with a staff over 1500. Now if your from a 3rd world country or a very poor country i'm sure living on the ship is great and grand compared to home. But freedom is something americans value very much and I think you should be able to get at least one night a week off. I don't find that asking for alot when you make so much less on the ship even with the free rent and board than you can working in a city like Vegas or Miami where you can easily make 100 to 1000 an hour.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well that's why you're onboard - to work! If you value a normal life ashore with normal working hours then ship life is not for you.

I'm not from a 3rd world country, rather the opposite, and during my ten years at sea I've never had a night off. Because who would cover for me while I was off? I value freedom very much as well, but when you're a seaman, your freedom will be during your vacations between the contracts. As I've mentione before, some people are fit for ship life others are not. People are different.

Most crew on cruise ships are very happy and those who aren't find work elsewhere.

And the minimum wages you're operating with in the US is a joke. That really reminds me of a 3rd world country
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:21 AM
Admiral

I have to concur based upon both facts and personal knowledge with you, Mr Mate. As a result of the career from which I'm now retired, I can usually tell when someone is being less than truthful with me. As regards this topic I have even written an article that is posted on this site relative to this issue.

Although I've only been on one cruise (the next one being in under three weeks), I am absolutely fascinated by the history of Ocean Liners and how they've evolved into the Cruising industry. I've been studying everything I can on the subject for over five years.

During our last cruise I made it a point to have a conversation, however brief, with every level of crew member I encountered in order to expand my knowledge of the industry. I can only comment on what I personally learned, which was:

1. Yes, the staff and crew work horrendously long hours with little if any time off.

2. Such has been true since before the heyday of the Trans Atlantic passenger trade which occurred during the first half of the Twentieth Century.

3. The average American would undoubtedly often not either perform the work required nor accept the level of remuneration offered, especially those jobs found at the lower level.

4. Were a cruise line to pay American level wages to all crew, there would be no cruise industry in this country as only millionaires would be able to afford a cruise vacation.

5. Every single crew or staff member with whom I spoke informed me that while yes, they worked horrendously long hours and while yes in most instances their pay was nowhere near what the average American makes, they loved their careers at sea and especially in the lower level crew (the ones passengers rarely encounter and who often don't speak English) often lived in what could only be construed as luxury when compared to their home countries and their pay and tips often afforded their families back home a lifestyle far and again greater than that which they could ordinarily afford.

As for the industry taking advantage of employees or treating them poorly, of course that happens (sad though it may be) as it does in all industries and countries. Whenever such instances occur, they should be quickly and equitably addressed.

Overall, the cruise industry unquestionably has been an economic asset to hundreds of thousands of employees, the millions of investors in the industry (which includes American wage earners with retirement plans) as well as those countries and ports serviced by the industry.

TDH
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Passenger

As a (hopefully) former waitress myself, let me tell you that my last job at a family restaurant in Illinois where the minimum wage was $7.50, I made $3.09 an hour plus tips, and had to give the busboy 10% of my tips. My job before that at a supper club in Wisconsin where the minimum wage was $5.15, I was making $2.27 plus tips, and had to give the bar staff 5% of my liquor sales, and the busboy $3.00 flat rate.

I'm not complaining, people! Notice I said '(hopefully) former.' I'm just putting that info out there. I'm not getting away from it because of the amount of pay, rather the inconsistency of pay and I want my weekends for me and DH... that means hopefully no more restaurants or bars.

I've heard of a place where the waitstaff had to give the bar staff 15% of their bar sales! That's crazy! That means if I had a table that had a $50 bar bill, I had to give the bartenders $7.50 out of my tips! So hopefully this table gives me 20% of the total bill so at least I could make $2.50 off the booze I served them! The biggest gripe of that is that bartenders generally make above minimum wage as their base pay!

Carnival Legend 5/4
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Admiral

And $8.00 or $8.25 ph on the left coast is chump change. Should be up around $15- $20 ph to even be close to the value of the minimum wage of the '70's IMHO. No exageration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgr8fl2cruise
Here in the US minimum wage for a waiter is ... i dont know, maybe $1.50 per hour.. the rest are tips.

Oh come on.....restaurants pay whatever the minimum wage is that's true. But minimum wage is nowhere near that low anywhere in this country. In California it's $8.00 per hour and soon to go to $8.25 per hour. They get tips on top of that.

I've told you a million times not to exagerate!!!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Passenger

i've read this whole message board and just had to register to reply.

so many of these comments have made me so mad. i worked for carnival for 7 years, having just recently come home for good.....NOT because i'm underpaid and overworked. yes, somedays we work long hours, the pay might not equal what i would make at home....HOWEVER..... i have no expences whilst on board. no insurance to pay, no rent, mortgage bills....etc. the only thing i have to pay for is whatever i choose to buy, so if you consider all that, i actually earn more, and can save more than i would at home.

as for being treated like slaves, NOBODY is forcing anybody to be there. if you don't like it, stop complaining and go home. if it was such a terrible job, would there be so man people doing it?

i have got to travel to places that some people only dream of, i met my husband on board, i have made many, many friends, and i'm so sick of guests who assume that we work "like slaves". just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it. and if i could, i would go back again.

and as for the post that say we saw crewmembers working from 6am till 12am.....yes, you might of seen them at 6am, you might of seen them at 11am...you might of seen them at 5pm....BUT did you know it's illegal for a crewmember to work more than 70 hours per week???
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Ex-crewmember, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time working onboard. I do not doubt for a moment that that the vast majority of the crew working on ships are worth their weight in gold. Bear in mind that this thread no longer resembles the original posts that were here when this thread first started. Many have been deleted or edited since because they violated TOS on this board or the posters opted to edit it.

If you had read it in it's original form, it really would've blown your mind.
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Passenger

beenie weenie

you've made me curious now!!! is there any way to read the original posts??
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Ex-crewmember, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time working onboard. I do not doubt for a moment that that the vast majority of the crew working on ships are worth their weight in gold. Bear in mind that this thread no longer resembles the original posts that were here when this thread first started. Many have been deleted or edited since because they violated TOS on this board or the posters opted to edit it.

If you had read it in it's original form, it really would've blown your mind.
You didn't miss a thing, ex-crewmember, just some BS from the OP. A totally wrong image of the crew's daily life.

As I agree with most of your post, I would however like to comment on a few things. It's not entirely correct to say that when working on a cruise ship, one is without expenses or responsibilities on land. For many crewmembers, being a seaman is a life long career and most of my colleagues have big families to support. That's a big contrast to US and Canadian college students who choose this life for the fun and adventure that's in it. Not that I don't understand them - I would do the same if I was in their shoes

Speaking for myself, when I was with NCL I had at home a house loan and regular monthly expenses as telephone, electricity and so on.

Anyway - this life is still voluntarily and if you're not happy with the income or anything else - just resign and do something else with your life. I did so when the dollar exchange rate decreased so my income became 30 % lower than it initially was. I had to find another job, but still I think of the time with NCL as some of the best years of my life.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-crewmember
beenie weenie

you've made me curious now!!! is there any way to read the original posts??
Just remember . . . you, MrMate and I have actually worked on ships for years and know what the real deal is. Some posters on this thread only got their info from cruising. Pax can chat to, hang with, or hook up with crew . . . but you're not going to know what really goes on behind the scenes of any job unless you work it.
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM
david30101

As a experanced "passenger" as seen in my signiture, I Also used to be in the USN for 12 yrs and spend alot of time at sea. I worked in the engineering dept in the enginerooms. Even though I dont have a college degree, The thought of working on cruise ships have crossed my mind. Im single, no kids and never been married. However, I do own my own home and only debt I have is a mortgage. They are starting to lay off people at my job..(automotive technition). The US economy is starting to give me second thoughts.