Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Default How do I start the process?

Hello,

I currently work in film and television production as a production manager and I am looking for a change. I would like to work on a cruise ship. Obviously I would like to stick with what I know, but I am also open to other positions on a ship.

I have a friend who works for NCL and she has given me a contact there, but I don't believe they have may openings for production jobs at this time, so I am interested in inquiring with other cruise lines. How do I do that? Online searches seem to be a bust unless you have a contact to follow up with. And all the job fairs I have found seem to be held in Florida, and I live in NYC. Does anyone have any advice or a contact at some of the other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, etc.? I understand if you don't want to post contact info on a forum, so if you do have a name you would be willing to pass along to me, you could send me a private message.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: How do I start the process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb18
Hello
I have a friend who works for NCL and she has given me a contact there, but I don't believe they have may openings for production jobs at this time, so I am interested in inquiring with other cruise lines. How do I do that? Online searches seem to be a bust unless you have a contact to follow up with. And all the job fairs I have found seem to be held in Florida, and I live in NYC.
Have you considered moving to Florida? Assuming you grew up in NYC, are you sure you'd be ok living away from home for 6+ months? Do you have the evidence to convince a recruiter of that? If a recruiter senses a reluctance to go from NY to FL, they'll imagine your reluctance to go around the world on a cruise contract.
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Beginner

I greatly appreciate your response, but I don't think it will be a problem convincing a recruiter that I am capable of living away from home for 6+ months. I grew up in the Midwest, lived in LA for 3 years and am now living in NY. I also have a college education and 4 years work experience. I am looking into working on a cruise ship because I want to see the world and currently it isn't the best time to be working in the entertainment business.