Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Default What will happen to the crew from NCLA?

I have been hired to work for NCLA. I have applied for my MMD and am now just waiting for the call to go to Hawaii. With the news of the Aloha leaving I was trying to find out what will happen to the crew and if I will still get to work on the boat. Is anyone else in this situation or heard what will happen to the crew?
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Beginner

I am at the same point you are wondering the same thing.

My MMD status shows that it was mailed out on the 28th last month so I am hoping to hear from them soon.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Beginner

From this thread here it looks like NCLA is doing some major firing.

Tried to call my recruiter but she no longer works for NCLA...
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Well that sure is bad news. Looks like we lost our job before we even got there...
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Same for me as well. I wish we could get more information because I am starting to get very tense about this!
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Beginner

I sent them an email and here is the response:

Quote:
Due to the reflag of both of our ships it has delayed scheduled trainings in Honolulu. We don’t have any information on when we are going to send candidates to training until further notice. As soon as something opens up, I will give you a call immediately.
So I guess we just wait.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Beginner

I got a similar response from my recruiter:

Yes will have an opportunity to be hired by NCLA but the reflagging of the second ship is going to delay trainings. For now we are a little over staffed and as soon as positions become available along with trainings I will let you know. Thank you

I just wish I knew more of a time frame for all this. If I need to look for another job than I want to...
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Check out this link to see what is happening- he works for NCL[/url][/youtube]
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: What will happen to the crew from NCLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keke1227
I have been hired to work for NCLA. I have applied for my MMD and am now just waiting for the call to go to Hawaii. With the news of the Aloha leaving I was trying to find out what will happen to the crew and if I will still get to work on the boat. Is anyone else in this situation or heard what will happen to the crew?
this is an official email i got

Aloha,

As you may have learned recently, NCL America announced on February 11, 2008, the withdrawal of the Pride of Aloha from the American-flagged fleet and the Hawaii market on May 11, 2008. The ship is being transferred to Star Cruises and will be re-flagged and deployed in Asia in the summer of 2008.

Withdrawing Pride of Aloha was an extremely difficult, but necessary decision, based on monetary losses within the company. Prices at which we have been selling our cruises have been driven down by a flood of capacity in the Hawaii market by our competitors, who have much lower operating costs than our US-flagged ships. With the introduction of Freestyle 2.0 and further enhancement of the NCL/NCL America product, the Pride of Aloha unfortunately does not have a long term position within what is now the youngest fleet in the industry.

The remaining ship in Hawai`i will be the larger and newer Pride of America, which was specifically designed and built for cruising in Hawai`i. With this, we will have an immediately profitable NCL America, offering a high quality product on a modern U.S.-flagged cruise ship home ported in Hawaii – the first time this has ever been achieved. We see a bright future for Pride of America in Hawai`i, and as demand continues to increase, we hope to be able to develop the business back to a two-ship operation with the future return of Pride of Hawai`i.

We value each and every one of you, our crewmembers, as a part of the NCL/NCL America `ohana. We are taking steps to alleviate the job losses associated with the withdrawal of the Pride of Aloha, including a reduction in staff at the NCL America office in Honolulu. Crewmembers who will be assigned to the Pride of America are being identified, with their names published on a list available in your shipboard Human Resources office. We expect this list to change with time, and we strongly encourage those that are not on the Pride of America list to watch the list for changes and the possible addition of their name to the Pride of America list if an opening occurs. Those individuals who are currently scheduled to be assigned to the Pride of Aloha at the time of the reflag on May 11 will receive a 60-day retention incentive if their assigned schedule is completed, regardless of which ship s/he is currently assigned to. Crewmembers displaced by the withdrawal of the Pride of Aloha will be given opportunities to work elsewhere on the NCL and NCL America fleet. All NCL America crewmembers will be individually contacted in the near future by letter.

As we anticipate that many of you will have questions, a dedicated Email address has been created to address all of your inquiries. Please Email reflag@ncl.com should you have any additional questions. Those onboard are also encouraged to submit any questions in writing to your Human Resources Managers onboard, via your department head. New information regarding the Pride of Aloha’s departure will be disseminated to you as soon as possible.

Enclosed, you will find a copy of the press release regarding the withdrawal of the Pride of Aloha in May. That release explains the Company’s economic reasons for making this change in greater detail.

Though our American-flagged business has not turned out as we had hoped four years ago, the Pride of Aloha has done the job we hoped she would do, as the US-flagged ship that broke new ground in the inter-island Hawai`i market. We should all be proud of what we have collectively contributed to achieve in the past four years, but looking forward, we must continue to focus on providing exceptional cruise vacations for our guests. The spotlight is now on all the things that have to be done over the next two years to ensure that our company is in its most favorable state to welcome our two new F3 ships in 2010.

Mahalo for all your hard work and support of the Company and each other, as we have worked through the challenges and now found a formula for a successful Hawaii US flag operation

---as far as new hires go, ya never know. turn over rates are incredibly high. but the demand for a job on the pride of america will be high as well. im on my first contract and would love to come back. i'm not quite sure if its gonna happen. luckily i have some nice managers (both on the aloha and america. i used to work on the america but got transfered :/ ). who are putting in a good word for me. the system though goes by seniority and performance. as for NEW new people, im not sure . if i had to guess you're prob SOL (sorry to be so bold, but its the truth).
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Beginner

As soon as I heard of the reflag I expected it to be awhile before I got to go to training, but I did think I would eventually get to go. What I don't understand is why they are still holding job fairs quite regularly. If they are overstaffed right now, they should stop the hiring.
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM
Beginner

Hey! Im in the same situation! Im waiting to hear back from them! Its been a month since I applied for my MMD. Have you heard any news?
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Has anyone heard anything about new trainings? I have my mmd and am just waiting for the phone call. I was just seeing if anyone will be heading to training anytime soon.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Beginner

I'm in the same spot as well. What company has a job fair then tells everyone to just sit there. It could be up to 6 months they say. I'm going to do an interview with Royal Caribbean in hopes they can get things moving.

Heres to waiting hope someone gets some news of whats going on soon

I'm a bar server by the way what are you guys doing ?
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Passenger

My MD was issued on 02/21/2008 and I haven't heard a thing from ncla since early January, when they flew me out to sign the papers.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Anyone else hear anything ? are you posting your contacts for updates ?

Wishing everyone luck

Later
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vokal612

All I know is that I was given the run around by NCLA, I am not sure if it is the company as a whole or my individual recruiter. I was hired August 22, 2007 and was told I would begin working ASAP. I submitted all of my necessary paperwork and was scheduled to apply for my MMD late October 2007. I traveled to Toledo, OH (paid for by NCLA) and gave them my fingerprints and filled out one form (that was it). I was approved for my MMD within 3 weeks. I was then strung along December, January & February. I called my recruiter and said I cannot wait any longer, contact me when you have a date. I got a new job and began working. Late March 2008, my recruiter said I could go to Piney Point for my training in April. At that time I had just started a new job and couldn't convince myself to quit due to my reservations with the company. I now have almost completely written off NCLA. I was so excited to begin a career with NCLA but now it seems that it was never meant to be.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Heard from NCLA leaving in two weeks

Ive been hired since Jan 08 so it has taken about 6 months for me to get the go ahead.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Beginner

I leave June 28th!
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Be aware that the recruiters will tell you whatever you want to hear at the job fairs. Life onboard is very different from how they make it seem. My wife and I left for Hawaii in November of 2007 and came back home a month later. Life onboard was VERY different from what was promised us. It is NOT for everyone. Be careful before applying...
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Beginner

Yay im finally headed to hawaii. The new training place is gunna be in hawaii not maryland anymore, if you didnt know already. Im lucky though i only waited 3 months from when i was hired. Im leaving on aug 24. anyways good luck to the est of ya guys.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Hey joejoe what position did you get hired for? Im just about at the final process of getting my MMD. how long after you got your MMD did you hear you were leaving? and are you going onto the NCLA in hawaii or international? Im just tryn to get a timeline as to how long I might have to wait after I get my MMD.

Thanks

Jacob
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Beginner

anyone?
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Still waiting. My MMD card was printed yesterday and they said I should be receiving it shortly. All this waiting sucks, but I know it's going to be worth it.
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Beginner

mine was actually printed yesterday too I wonder how long the wait is gona be..... when were you hired?