CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   [b]Starboard gift shop "lifting weight" policy[/b] (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/346824-b-starboard-gift-shop-lifting-weight-policy-b.html)

dadada February 17th, 2008 05:00 AM

[b]Starboard gift shop "lifting weight" policy[/b]

Hello,
I am new to this and I am interested in a technical matter of gift shop position.
I have a offer for position of sales associate for Starboard gift shops. In all the papers I have recieved is stated that you have to be able to lift up to 25 kg continuosly so I was wondering just how often you actualy lift that weight. I would appriciate any help, thanks.

sz February 17th, 2008 09:19 AM

Honestly, I think that's part of the requirement for any position I've ever seen on a ship. I'm not a shoppie, but on turnaround days, I see them all gathered bright and early in the morning with back braces on waiting for the luggage to be offloaded . . .then when the shop stores come in, the forklifts onboard bring the pallets as close to the elevators as possible and then the shoppies break and load the goods into the elevators to go down to ship stores a couple decks down. I'd say an hour and a half or so? Then on a daily basis, I always see them heading down to stores to bring more goods up. The heaviest boxes appear to be booze :)

dadada February 18th, 2008 08:23 AM

Thanks, that helps a lot. I don't think I will love it, but I'll try it out.

jetskier February 20th, 2008 05:37 PM

Re: [b]Starboard gift shop "lifting weight" policy

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadada
Hello,
I am new to this and I am interested in a technical matter of gift shop position.
I have a offer for position of sales associate for Starboard gift shops. In all the papers I have recieved is stated that you have to be able to lift up to 25 kg continuosly so I was wondering just how often you actualy lift that weight. I would appriciate any help, thanks.

Another heavy box would be ones with the t-shirts in them. But like the other poster stated booze makes up most of the boxes with weight. On Carnival, they usually get a truck every second cruise. If you are a male, you will normally be the one stuck doing the booze.
Dave

ex-crewmember September 6th, 2008 12:14 PM

the heavies thing you will have to lift is a box containing 12 liters of alcohol. on embarkation day, anywhere for 5-25 pallets are loaded onto the ship, we pack boxes on trolleys, push them to the shops and lockers. the males do not do all the lifting......yes you will ind some girls who complain about it, but the majority of us do whatever the boys do.

The Pinch November 20th, 2009 12:41 PM

I have hauled some pretty big boxes at retail (land). No question it is hard work and you would need a shower afterwards. But you are part of a team working together. I intend to keep on strengthening my back muscles in the gym. I also intend to consider it part of my workout (a wickeD set of ab crunches should round it out. BTW I'm 56.