Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Familiar Face

Default What are "officer privileges" and cabin quarters l

Hi all,

I was wondering what typically are officer privileges classed as on board a ship. Having searched a few posts on here it sounds like that means you are allowed to go to certain locations like passenger restuarants and use some of the fascilities but if anyone can explain further it would be much appreciated.
Also what is the difference between officer cabins to crew cabins, apart from them being your own, instead of shared??

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
First Mate

It really is that simple - there's not too much to do/see/experience onboard when you work on a ship, so being able to go to more 'passenger' areas and having your own cabin is a really big deal.

My line has a 'privilege' chart with 'stripes' down one side and 'locations' across the other. Usually not much difference beetween a one stripe to 2 1/2 stripe, but more restaurants/bars/service open for those above - But those above aren't usually going to partake in hanging out or socializing with passengers.

The officer cabins will be larger, and maybe will have better furniture and nicer countertops/lighting fixtures and the much desired porthole. All cabins have the same walls, ceilings and carpet. Crew members generally take care of cleaning their own cabins, where officers get cabin attendants.

I think a more functional difference would be pay, vacation and any other medical or retirement benefits. That varies as the the position and department.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz
It really is that simple - there's not too much to do/see/experience onboard when you work on a ship,

?????
Where have you been? It's with other crewmembers behind the scenes all the fun is taking place

Well, seriously speaking: "Officer privileges" means you have access to public areas, restaurants, your own cabin, can eat in the officer's mess etc. It doesn't necessary mean you're an officer, but certain positions onboard like cruise director, asst cruise director, pursers, shore ex managers, systems managers, port and cruise consultants, concierges etc have officer privileges.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
First Mate

OK . . . let me rephrase that - there's not much for ME to do onboard. I don't drink that much and can't stand to be in a smoky room when "off duty" . . . so where does that get me? (not the crewbar!) I work in the theater and my duties take me to all the lounges, so I see all the entertainment - not a draw . . . . I live for the ports to get out and around - even better this year as my ship ports out of my hometown, so I can be HOME on turnaround day. . . .

BTW- there's a term "staff & officers" and I definitely consider myself staff with officer privileges mr mate 8)

It's been said before here - if you get a chance - join Facebook and search for crew groups. LOTS of photos to be seen of what the inside of cabins look like (royal caribbean crew bar is a great place to start )