Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Default Medical

I have been offered an interview next month and i have been given a few medical history forms to fill out before hand and bring with me to the interview.
I am in good health and have had no real injuries or illness to speak off, however about five years ago i had a really tough period in my life and was perscribed anti depressents by my doctor. This was very brief as they made me feel worse and i decided they were not for me and eventually the diffiult time passed.
Now the problem is that these medical forms ask about such things, which concern me as im sure i will not get the job because of my medical history.
I was thinking of not declaring this part of my medical history but unsure if this is wise as they may check up with my GP.
The really annoying part is i am convinced it was more stress related and not depression but the record will state depression.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

These days there are so many people on Prozac and other such drugs there is a good chance your doctor will be on them.

Personally, if I felt uncomfortable about it I just wouldn't mention it, because medical records are supposed to be sealed. They can't just go to your GP and ask for them. If they ask you to bring them and you refuse that is a different story, but I don't think that is even legal.

Here is my true story, I took prozac once after a "break-up" and after about two months I felt so good I just went off of them. My epiphany was "oh, that is the way I am supposed to feel" and I didn't feel I needed the pills to get there anymore. You could say that - if it comes up. But unless you tell them I really doubt that it will.
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Beginner

My concern is at the bottom of the forms it says:
"I authorize release of any medical information concerning my past, present, or future medical condition by any practitioner or
hospital to Carnival Cruise Lines and its accredited representatives."

I understand this as giving them constent to view my files, which of course will conflict with the forms i just filled in if i dont mention i was treated for depression. How likely is it that they will check up?
I suppose i could just say i missed it on the form as the boxes are very close together, what would you suggest i do as im really unsure.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
First Mate

honestly - they don't look 'that' close at medical . . . I've signed on and off ships numerous times - they look for the 'fit for duty' check box, and that the 'valid' until date covers the term of your contract, and that all the required tests are present. and that the doctors signature/stamp is there.

I remember my first medical at the port of miami - checked vital signs, x-ray, "can you see the wall?, can you touch your toes?" . . .OK, you're in.

Thousands of people go to work on ships every year for every cruise line - they don't spend the time to verify every item on every form - don't sweat it!
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Beginner

Ok thanks for the advice, i will decide nearer the time.
Thanks
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Redheadsmama

Best of luck.

Free Cruise Clocks