Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Passenger

Default Administration Purser – Documentation - RCCL

Anyone have any information on the Administration Purser-Documentation position on a Royal Caribbean ship? I've posted some of the listed job description below, but I'm interested in learning 'actual' info from someone who worked it or knows/knew someone who did, like

1. how many of these type of pursers are on a ship?
2. What type of hours are there daily/weekly?
3. With regard to the cash section-do you then work at the front desk for this part of the job-assuming you would work in an office for the documentation parts? (responsible for taking all the guests cash payments?)
Lastly, would you consider this to be a 'good' job on a ship?

Thanks!

# Coordinating the ship clearance (Guests and Celebrity Family Members) in the various ports of call
# Participates in the embarkation process by collecting immigration documentation to determine validity of documents and refers unusual documentation to Hotel Director and/or Port Agent for final approval or denial.
# Audits immigration information entered in computer system by pier staff. Collects missing information by directly contacting guests
# Prior to arrival and departure, prepares arrival manifest and forwards to appropriate immigration officials and shore side personnel
# Meets port agents and customs and immigration officials at the gangway at all ports to deliver documentation to clear the ship and maintains a professional working relationship with port agents and customs and immigration officials
# Maintains a cash float and handles guests’ cash payments.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
First Mate

With my job onboard - I often get to work closely with this person and if someone is good in this position - they're GOLD!!!!

There's only one, but normally a few more people onboard would have either done the job or are familiar enough with the duties to help out. Not really set "X" amount of hours, but as it says - "coordinating ships clearance" which means being up a couple hours before the ship docks in every port to make sure all the paperwork is in order and all is ready for customs/immigration officers to come onboard - then however long that process takes plus if there's an onboard 'full passenger' immigration check, coordinating that . . . I usually see this person at the gangway upon departure also.

The position usually has their own office 'area' desk/computer - but I do see them working the 'front desk' also.

Good job? I'd think so . . . and for the ship, it's a very important job. I see those who do well in this position often move up.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Hope you don't mind a few more questions. I appreciate your 1st response a LOT! So, they're GOLD in terms of status/treatment on the ship? (any particular perks you can think of? Do they, by any chance, get a single cabin?)

And it sounds like, atleast for most ports, it's an early morning job, with more freedom during the day and night? and when there's a sea day?? Would you say the person in this position usually likes their job, or seems stressed? Auditing 1000's of immigration documentation every week at the start of a cruise sounds overwhelming! Although by the time you get to ports, your just making sure it's organized for the ports, which seems a bit 'easier'.

On a side note, I see from your signature that you have worked for NCL, but have been with RCCL for awhile-must be good company! You still onboard-your sig. stops in 2007!?!
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Passenger

Hey "SZ", I just noticed that this position is for Celebrity-does that make any difference?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Passenger

just bumping this up, because I'd still love some info....