Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Beginner

Default Age/Weight Restrictions?

I'm about to apply to several concessionaires for a Gift Shop Assistant job, and was wondering if anyone was aware of age or weight restrictions?

I'm 38 and 250lbs. I can lift things and am not afraid of work, and I know there will be a lot of boxes to haul. I'm fine with that. I'm just wondering if the various companies might want a younger, thinner image for their employees.

I'm not gargantuan, and I fit in a single airplane seat just fine.

It's really hard to offend me, so you don't have to be politically correct in your answers, folks. Just give it to me straight...am I too old and/or fat to be considered for a position on a ship?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

These days being 25% overweight is considered "normal" - let's be honest, good looks don't hurt, but if you are qualified for the job I don't see your build as a drawback,
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
These days being 25% overweight is considered "normal" - let's be honest, good looks don't hurt, but if you are qualified for the job I don't see your build as a drawback,
Cool, thank you for the reply! Do you know if 38 would be too old, or would that be more of an asset in their eyes?
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Beginner

I would think you'd be fine at 38. There are loads of different ages working on HAL (the line I'm with)... What line were you applying to be with?
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynightatsea
I would think you'd be fine at 38. There are loads of different ages working on HAL (the line I'm with)... What line were you applying to be with?
I'll take what I can get to start, but my top choice would be NCL.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Beginner

I was just hired with NCL and am leaving on May 31st to start my first contract. I am right out of college. My biggest advice is to be persistent, I sent a ton of emails, as well as personal letters to my recruiters in Miami and I think it helped. Good Luck, if I remember right isn't the gift shops run by vendors? So you would have to apply with them and not NCL directly.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello8619
I was just hired with NCL and am leaving on May 31st to start my first contract. I am right out of college. My biggest advice is to be persistent, I sent a ton of emails, as well as personal letters to my recruiters in Miami and I think it helped. Good Luck, if I remember right isn't the gift shops run by vendors? So you would have to apply with them and not NCL directly.
Yup, there are concessionaire companies I have to apply to, but the one I'll pursue the most is the one that has their shops on NCL ships. Congrats on getting in!
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks if you end up getting on the Pearl make sure to say hi. I will be onboard from June 1 - Nov 30.