Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Default RCCL CPA new hire now in "Gap Pool"?

Hi all,

I was "approved" by RCCL on May 9 as a Cruise Program Administrator and now I'm told I'm in the GAP POOL until a position becomes availiable. When I was going through the interviews, no one mentioned there were no current vacancies for CPA positions.

The problem is that I want to get to work now , but I'm stuck waiting because the Recruiter insisted I was perfect as a CPA and would not even discuss other opportunities. Now I'm told by the BC Recruiters for RCL, that they are not allowed to deal with anyone who has already been seen by another RCL Recruiter.

I don't quite understand why I can't apply for other positions that I know I could easily get ! (I'm not being arrogant here , but I'm of a mature age and have a vast and varied proffesional background suitable for many Shipboard positions.) Furthermore, the Recruiters in BC have far more immediate assignments. So by being in this GAP Pool I've eliminated myself from a lot more opportunities. (Of Course RCL is also Celebrity and they do not transfer employees from one Brand to the other).

Does anyone out there have some suggestions on how to get around the Recruiters? I know if you apply directly with any lines they don't even look at your Resume, they just pass it off to the Recruiters. Or any suggestions on how to go about finding someone within RCL who could interveen and allow me to apply for other postings? Any ideas how long I I might expect to wallow in this GAP Pool?

Thanks for info, I sure could use it!
Impatient in BC
Oh Chit, no spell check arrrggg..... my only weakness! .
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Honestly...

I always got my jobs directly with the cruise lines so I am not familiar with recruiters. If you signed a contract with them then you may be out of luck, I don't know.

You say BC, do you mean British Columbia? I was not aware of BC recruiters.

Personally, I think if someone told me I was in a "gap pool" and I needed a job I would do whatever I wanted to do and contact the cruise lines directly. BUT, I do not have experience with this.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Yes I did mean British Columbia.

A Friend that used to work for RCCL and now works for Princess sent out my resume to her contacts. What happened from there was the actual RCCL hiring person in Miami sent my resume to their recruiter in Ontario. The RCCL recruiters for Canada are as follows:

Western Canada:
Just Cruis'n International Employment Agency
Box 462 - 1755 Robson Street
Vancouver, B.C., V6G 3B7
or E-Mail : jobship@home.com

Eastern Canada:
Cruise Services International
601 Dundas Street West, Box 24070
Whitby, Ontario L1N 8X8
or E-Mail : cs1@home.com

The one in Vancouver has all the immediate openings but they will not interview me for any - its RCCL's rule. I spent the majority of today getting my Medical for the CPA job. What a process! I figured I may as well get it done, it should be good for any Line. I even got two shots today - Tetnus and Twinrex for Hep A & B. Tetnus was painless, the Twinrex burned/stung like crazy!

I have been firing off Resumes directly to Celebrity, RCCL (two positions) Carnival and I'm surfing around for any other jobs that look appealing. I do have an Interview at the beggining of June with the Pricess Recruiters. I have no idea what position - my friend got my resume to them so, I guess it's the same sceanario as with RCCL.

With all my recent Job applications I wonder how long it will be before someone at RCCL catches on that I'm already in this "Gap Pool"

Well I'm back to surfing , I may give up on the Cruise thing entirely, dust off my EU passport and go work in Europe for a while !

Itchy feet in BC
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Beginner

Default CPA

I've got an interview next week with RCCL for a CPA role - they told me there are three other people going and if we're all good, then they will give us all the job.

I'm wondering should i be offered this position as well - how long are we all going to have to wait before being assigned to a ship. Could be months!

Do they normally keep so many people in a 'gap pool'? If so - does anyone know how many and how long people normally have to wait before given a ship to work on?
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Gemski,

Are you in London Ontario and if so are you going to a hiring fair put on by a Recruiter for your interview, or are you being interviewed directly by RCL? I was first web interviewed by the Recruiter and then telephone interviewed by the person from RCL who hires for the CPA position.

This is crazy that they are going to put 4 more of you into the Gap pool for the CPA job. I was told I could expect to wait as long as 4-6 months for an assignment. Does RCL really expect that many vacancies for this job and if so why ? What is wrong with this position that they anticpate the need to have so many of us waiting in the Gap Pool? This definately rings alarm bells for me.!

Post a reply as soon as possible and I will try to get some answers directly from my contacts. I don't want to waste my time wallowing in the "Gap Pool" while there are so many other immediate positions avaliable.

Confused in BC
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Beginner

Default CPA

Hello Confused in BC!

I'm in London UK - i was first asked to apply for the position by a UK recruiter called Crown Recruitment. The interview is actually with RCCL though, with the employment manager from their Miami office.

Thinking about this - as CPA is an entry-level position, i suppose many people start off working in this role and then quickly get promoted. That is probably why they like to have quite a few people waiting in the 'gap pool' so they can quickly replace them and ensure they don't have to wait until they find a replacement.

The frustrating thing is what do we do in the meantime?! Looks like temping work which pays very badly, because any other job would require a month's notice should you wish to leave.

Oh what fun! Let's hope all this worry will be well worth it!

Gemski
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Beginner

Default Still waiting for Ship Assignment

Hi Gemski,

I just got an update from my Recruiter last week. It seems I am still in the GAP Pool for the Cruise Program Admin Position. I've done all my paperwork ,passed all medicals and now I am still waiting. I was told it will probobly be at least another month - start of October ! This kind of makes sense to me now ! As I got hired/placed in GAP Pool May 9, 2008 and this position is only one per ship with the contract being six monthsand the contract is 6 months, doing the math makes the October start date logical.

What really sucks is that basically I have been hired by RCL and no one else will touch me. I've gone for several other interviews ansd all were not offered to me because of my status in the RCL GAP Pool. RCL and the Recruiter knew back in May that I would be waiting at least 6 months! Not fair at all - they should have told me and then let me decide if I wanted to wait ! I guess that's the game!

MW in BC
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Beginner

Default Re: RCCL CPA new hire now in "Gap Pool"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw64
Hi all,

I was "approved" by RCCL on May 9 as a Cruise Program Administrator and now I'm told I'm in the GAP POOL until a position becomes availiable. When I was going through the interviews, no one mentioned there were no current vacancies for CPA positions.

The problem is that I want to get to work now , but I'm stuck waiting because the Recruiter insisted I was perfect as a CPA and would not even discuss other opportunities. Now I'm told by the BC Recruiters for RCL, that they are not allowed to deal with anyone who has already been seen by another RCL Recruiter.

I don't quite understand why I can't apply for other positions that I know I could easily get ! (I'm not being arrogant here , but I'm of a mature age and have a vast and varied proffesional background suitable for many Shipboard positions.) Furthermore, the Recruiters in BC have far more immediate assignments. So by being in this GAP Pool I've eliminated myself from a lot more opportunities. (Of Course RCL is also Celebrity and they do not transfer employees from one Brand to the other).

Does anyone out there have some suggestions on how to get around the Recruiters? I know if you apply directly with any lines they don't even look at your Resume, they just pass it off to the Recruiters. Or any suggestions on how to go about finding someone within RCL who could interveen and allow me to apply for other postings? Any ideas how long I I might expect to wallow in this GAP Pool?

Thanks for info, I sure could use it!
Impatient in BC
Oh Chit, no spell check arrrggg..... my only weakness! .
Hi there,I'm exactly in the same situation with RCCL.All exams and medical tests aprooved since January and now they said I have to wait for an "assignment" wich might take from a few days "to several months".
Did you finally get to work with them?What happened since you posted this msg.?
Thank you and regards.
Ed.
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Beginner

Hi there,I´m exactly in the same situation with RCCL.All tests and exams aprooved since January and now they say I have to wait for "an assignment" wich might take from a few days to "several months".
What happened with you?Did you finally get to work on board?
Thanks.
Ed
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Familiar Face

Anyone finally got hired?

I have been contacted by a recruiter for the Cruise Program Administrator Position but now I am worried that something is wrong about all this. I haven't had an interview yet.

Were you all going through that BC recruiter (Just Cruis'n), it's the ones who contacted me.

I don't mind waiting a bit since I already have a good well-paid job but working on a ship is my dream.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Default CPA positon on RCCL

Regarding the CPA position,RCCL is always looking for replacements for CPA because of illness, vacations, or people who recently quit the postion. I know someone who is trying for this position from within the company already being employed for several years by RCCL and it is all in who you know. Timing is everything. The company tells you a process and you follow thru and then they make you wait. Its as if the company wants no one to go to other positions. They want everyone to stay in their current positons. Obviously people want advancement and change. The people in Human Resource in Miami make the decisions, I would contact them directly. Depending on who you get and if they are having a good day you may do well. Very strange company to work for, too bad Adam Godlstein did not check out his staff in Miami a little more closely. Maybe then hiring would be done on a more timely manner and to qualified people who would contribute much to the company. All I can say is keep trying, the average turnover for these positons is 5 years although one person has been there for more than 7 I believe. So with the number of ships and with 6 month contracts and illness or vacations your looking at about 40 or more people in these CPA positons ready trained to fill in. Do not give up it will be worth it. The people who work on these ships are fantastic individuals, keep trying.