Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Beginner

Default working on cruise ships

I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit. Im looking to work on cruise ships and after many hours of sifting through results on google, many of the wb sites tell you about working on them they dont realy give you an in sight into starting out? Ive worked in bars an managed bars and id love to take my experiance onto the ships a i have no ties back home and am looking for a fresh challange an some hard work. Id be grateful for any information on getting started. I was speaking to a friend an they were saying the companies will fly you home or even out to them if your needed on board so is it worth applying for work on foreign cruise companies???

Hope someone can help

thanks Rob
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They don't hire a lot of Americans as bartenders on cruise ships because you probably wouldn't like the working conditions and/or pay. However, I have seen some.

I would suggest NCL-America but they already have too many people on hold waiting for a job opening, so it is doubtful they are taking a newcomers.

In any case - there is nothing to lose. If you are young, smart, clean-cut & energetic you might qualify for another job onboard: cruise staff, computer technician, etc.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default work

Best to get some bar work experience in a up market hotel or resort if you can, that will stand you in good favour (I would say at least six months), plus if you can get experience doing fancy coctails or something that might give you an edge.

try looking on the cruise companies websites directly such as below:
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/fun_jobs/fun_jobs.aspx

good luck !
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Default CHECK OUT GARY"S BLOG

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Beginner

www.crusiegary.blogspot.com
The information is always and forever...free!

Greetings,

I work on a ship full time, and have since 1998. I started a blog to help other people cut through the crap and get a great crusie ship job!
Two things are certain:
1) Most of the sites on the internet, at some point, will ask you for money.
2) No site can guarantee you a job - the only person who can offer you a job is the cruise line - period.

If you choose to buy website site access, or a book, or a video, or a DVD, or a pamphlet, all you are getting is information which is free on the web. All you need is a little direction and some web search savvy and you can get all this info yourself - and it will be up-to-date!

There is no magic to getting a ship job - you still have to do all the work - this is not a lazy man's or woman's pursuit - no magic wand - nadda.

The problem with a lot of that other info, is that is is soon out-dated as soon as it is printed, pressed whatever. The cruise industry is changing very quickly - on a weekly basis - and so do the key contact personnel.

Most people operating these other sites, claim they USED to work on ships. Times change - I am currently still on ships, in very good positions, so my info and contacts are always current.

www.cruisegary.blogspot.com
The information is always and forever...FREE!
Follow the blog, read the older postings to get up to speed.

Cruise lines hire from all over the world. Last summer, I got hired as a CD by a European cruise line for 2 1/2 weeks - sailing Europe! They flew me from North America, so it doesn't matter where you live! It matters who you are and what you offer!

If you are really lazy, send me your info and $1500 cash, and I will get you a job. Probelm is, if you are really lazy, you'll last about one day on a ship. Crew members are some of the professional, hardest, smartest working people I have ever met. So, if your really want to work on a ship, keep your cash and do it yourself - you can!