Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kayden
Default How much choice do you get for a ship/destination?

I am strongly leaning for a job on a cruise ship starting around October at the earliest and sailing for as long as I can until I come back to land based living.

I like the ideas of the ships that tour Alaska in the summer and then go south for the winter. Europe doesn't interest me that much at the moment.

Having said that, when you get a shipboard job, do they place you anywhere, or do they ask you what your preferences are? Do you stay with one ship for the duration of your contract?

Thanks a bunch and if anyone has any tips, leads etc. it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

When interviewing for a cruise ship job, my best advice to you is not to give them the idea you're applying because you want to see alaska or south america or whatever. They will be hiring you to WORK and thats it. When you've been with the company for a while it might be appropriate to request a certain ship or itenirary but not on your first contract.

The company is free to put you wherever they need you and you might also be transferred to other ships during your contract.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
First Mate

And I second that

But as the many of the cruise lines are cutting back where they can, perhaps living where you do . . . there wouldn't be much airfare costs to get you to a Seattle or Vancouver based ship . . .

For Royal Caribbean, you get placed where they need you the 1st contract, and you can't request a ship until you're on your 2nd contract, and you can be moved at any time. Some positions and itineraries have a 2 year wait!
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought may happen. I did hope that the cruise line would want to put you somewhere close to your home port if it was easy to them, but I completely understand if they don't.

I am looking forward to examining the different cruise lines to see if one of them fits for me.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayden
I am looking forward to examining the different cruise lines to see if one of them fits for me.
Again - you need to think about your attitude and what signals you're sending out. It's not the cruise line who's going to fit you, but the other way around
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Oh I know what you mean - I just meant I am going to do some checking into whether a job in the cruise industry would be a good career choice knowing these things because if I do apply, I will be going into it without the idea that I can be picky. I don't want to waste anyone's time!
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good luck to you! Even a short period on cruise ships will give you valuable experiences both professional and personal
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Passenger

Thanks.

I am going to be applying in the next week or so to a few cruise lines. I will keep you updated.