Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Beginner

Default IT Positions onboard

I've been applying for any IT positions onboard a cruise line and have not heard back from anyone except from NCLA who sent me a boilerplate going with more qualified applicants. Tried asking the recruiter what I was lacking but she has not responded. I've got a 4 year degree in Info Systems from a tier 1 University and have about 7 years of relevant experience in the IT industry. I've done everything from Customer Service, Support, Consultant, Project Manager, Developer, etc. However, I do not have any certifications as the companies I've worked for saw them as worthless.

Am I being overlooked because I don't have any certifications or because I'm over qualified based on the requirements. I know most companies hire from within and I've been applying for lower level positions (as well as upper).

Any advice on how I can get my foot in the door?
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: IT Positions onboard

I'm going to be blunt - you have to do a hell of a lot more research.

You seem ( although I could be wrong ) to have no idea of what you'd be getting yourself in for.

If your job application presents the same image as your post to this board, you need to re-think your stratagy. I think you sound over-qualiied at best.

I don't know you, but from what I've seen so far I don't think you have the personality to work on a cruise ship.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
First Mate

just some cut and paste from a shipboard IT job description

Knowledge of satellite communication systems, (C-Band, Inmarsat A, B C, M, andMini-M’s) Call Router (Mobilecom), Call Accounting.

Knowledge of communications and satellite infrastructure (Alcatel Hotel Link,C-Band, Inmarsat) preferred.

General understanding of Federal Regulations regar
ding Telecommunications.

Ability to conduct complex LAN and/or WAN trouble shooting diagnostics.

Completion of formal network administration training is preferred.

Monitors voice and data network infrastructure for all topologies. Assembles and configures complex network components and associated services including RDPs, switches, hubs, routers, RP amplifiers and cabin patches. Sets up and maintains complex network operations, including assembly of network hardware. Performs complex network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common network problems.

Upgrades complex network hardware and software components as required. Installs, upgrades and configures network printing, directory structures, rights, security, software and files services. Provides users with network technical support.

Responds to needs and questions of users concerning their access of networkresources. Establishes network users, user environments, directories, and security for networks being installed. Installs and tests necessary software and hardware.

Performs scheduled maintenance as required.
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Familiar Face

Default Computer Officer

Hi,

I can only speak from my own experience working on Princess Cruises but the role of computer officer is technically pretty straight forward, although does cover a wide range of systems (not all of which you would be expected to know about from the off).

As far as qualifications go anyone with two or more years IT experience & perhaps a basic qualification such as A+ or MCP etc should stand a good chance. EPOS experience would be a good plus (& Lotus Notes - for Princess at least), saying that I had no lotus notes experience prior to joining.

You also need to bear in mind that a fair percentage of the role is not IT related at all, so any other skills you can demostrate to the interviewer may help such as leadership skills, customer service & the ability to be flexible / adaptable would probably help.

You generally do not need to worry about the external comms (satelite feeds etc), as they are looked after by the electrical technical officer (ETO), who also manage television broadcasts / feeds ..

Hope this helps, & good luck finding a job.. it can sometimes take a while but I'm sure you'll get there if it's what you want. Just don't expect the pay to be what some bogus recruitment web sites advertise !

Cheers,
Jamie
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion
I'm going to be blunt - you have to do a hell of a lot more research.

You seem ( although I could be wrong ) to have no idea of what you'd be getting yourself in for.

If your job application presents the same image as your post to this board, you need to re-think your stratagy. I think you sound over-qualiied at best.

I don't know you, but from what I've seen so far I don't think you have the personality to work on a cruise ship.
I've done plenty of research into this. What have you seen that makes you think my personality isn't a good fit? Obviously this is not my resume, but just a quick recap of my qualifications.
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Computer Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLad
Hi,

I can only speak from my own experience working on Princess Cruises but the role of computer officer is technically pretty straight forward, although does cover a wide range of systems (not all of which you would be expected to know about from the off).

As far as qualifications go anyone with two or more years IT experience & perhaps a basic qualification such as A+ or MCP etc should stand a good chance. EPOS experience would be a good plus (& Lotus Notes - for Princess at least), saying that I had no lotus notes experience prior to joining.

You also need to bear in mind that a fair percentage of the role is not IT related at all, so any other skills you can demostrate to the interviewer may help such as leadership skills, customer service & the ability to be flexible / adaptable would probably help.

You generally do not need to worry about the external comms (satelite feeds etc), as they are looked after by the electrical technical officer (ETO), who also manage television broadcasts / feeds ..

Hope this helps, & good luck finding a job.. it can sometimes take a while but I'm sure you'll get there if it's what you want. Just don't expect the pay to be what some bogus recruitment web sites advertise !

Cheers,
Jamie
Thanks Jamie,

The external comms stuff had me concerned as I hadn't seen that on any IT applications I've been looking at. I've got a fair amount of leadership experience listed on my resume but again lack the certificates and don't have any IT experience in a hospitality environment.

Thinking I may just go pay the fee to take the exam and pick up a few certifications.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler704
I've done plenty of research into this. What have you seen that makes you think my personality isn't a good fit? Obviously this is not my resume, but just a quick recap of my qualifications.
Damn - I should have known that there was a chance I'd be asked to back some of that up

I came to my conclusions based on a combination (a) what you said, and (b) what you didn't.

You outlined your qualifications, and as such, I think you're over-estimating their significance.

You didn't mention any life-experience. Have you ever spent 6 - 12 months far away from home in a restricted environment? What do you have in your personal history that would prepare you for being away from home for the duration of a typical cruise contract?
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler704
Damn - I should have known that there was a chance I'd be asked to back some of that up

I came to my conclusions based on a combination (a) what you said, and (b) what you didn't.

You outlined your qualifications, and as such, I think you're over-estimating their significance.

You didn't mention any life-experience. Have you ever spent 6 - 12 months far away from home in a restricted environment? What do you have in your personal history that would prepare you for being away from home for the duration of a typical cruise contract?
I just came back from volunteering for 1 year with a non-profit organization in rural china.
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Excellent.

I retract my previous statment regarding your personality. Your experience in China shows you in a new light. Your recruiter however is unlikely to go digging for this kind of information, and is more likely to only consider candidates who mention such information promanantly on their Cover Letters and CVs.

I would also recommend pushing your Customer Service, and Support skills much more so than your Consultancy, PM, and Dev skills. Cruise ships have little for the latter on board the ships.

I hope some of this has been useful - I know that I have purposely been a bit blunt, but I would hope that I have been constructively so.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Excellent.

I retract my previous statment regarding your personality. Your experience in China shows you in a new light. Your recruiter however is unlikely to go digging for this kind of information, and is more likely to only consider candidates who mention such information promanantly on their Cover Letters and CVs.

I would also recommend pushing your Customer Service, and Support skills much more so than your Consultancy, PM, and Dev skills. Cruise ships have little for the latter on board the ships.

I hope some of this has been useful - I know that I have purposely been a bit blunt, but I would hope that I have been constructively so.
My resume is costume tailored to the position showing customer service and troubleshooting. My sabbatical information is also clearly stated. No worries about being blunt, that's what i'm looking for. As I mentioned earlier I have done a lot of research on what the position/industry is like and I very much want to break into it. I've even been looking at IT positions at hotels but the two hotels I've spoken with thus far say I'm over qualified and they don't want to offer me the position because they are looking for someone who will stay long term.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Hello,

I was also looking for a IT position without success. Last year I was sending my cover letter and resume all over the internet and never had any answer.

It was quite frustrating for me because, from what I researched I have every reason to believe that I am PERFECT for that job (hope not to sound stuck up, but I really wish I have a chance to prove that to an interviewer).

I think that interest for that position is much higher than number of the vacancies available , so it hard to get a chance.. I don't know.

Now it seems that I hit the wall, haven't done any activity on that for few months.

Does anybody have any advice or some useful information, I would appreciate it very much...

Thanks