Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default Everyone that work for steiner?!

Hello, i'm consedering working in a cruise for steiner, can everyone tell me about the experience or something else?!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Hello!
I am actually at the training at the Steiner Academy in Watford right now! I can't tell you much about actual life on ships since I haven't been shipped out just yet, but I can tell you that contracts are now 9 months long (just found that out today) and the YMCA is a little bit like hell. But you can't be discouraged by that, you just have to keep your eye on the prize(s): money and travel! As long as you are qualified for the position and able to be away from home, then you will be fine! Good luck!
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Beginner

hi there, thank you for the reply,
you now scary me , why is a kinda like hell?

and i'm consedering going on to stainer at watford... i really want to now about the work and the money you get, if you please tellme your mail for we talk better please...

but you can go home at half of your contract?!?!

thank you
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Passenger

Default YMCA hell

yes it is hell in the YMCA, it's incredibly basic, to prepare you for the ships, but don't worry, it's not as bad on the ships!!

you work all day on a seaday, usually from 8am till 8 pm, and i depends on port days, you usually get 1 full day a cruise, but a lot of that depends on your manager. the money depends on what you do, threre's a different commission rate depending on your job, and you get commission for all you retail sales, and then any tips you make are yours too. on a good ship you can make $3500 up a months, and if you're not a US citizen, there's no tax to pay!!

you have to stay for your whole contract, unless you resign. it's a good life though, you get pretty close to the people you work with, you'll make some good friends, see some nice places, and make some money!! once you get passed the YMCA, it's a different story on a ship than it is at the academy, so just enjoy it!!
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: YMCA hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-crewmember
yes it is hell in the YMCA, it's incredibly basic, to prepare you for the ships, but don't worry, it's not as bad on the ships!!

you work all day on a seaday, usually from 8am till 8 pm, and i depends on port days, you usually get 1 full day a cruise, but a lot of that depends on your manager. the money depends on what you do, threre's a different commission rate depending on your job, and you get commission for all you retail sales, and then any tips you make are yours too. on a good ship you can make $3500 up a months, and if you're not a US citizen, there's no tax to pay!!

you have to stay for your whole contract, unless you resign. it's a good life though, you get pretty close to the people you work with, you'll make some good friends, see some nice places, and make some money!! once you get passed the YMCA, it's a different story on a ship than it is at the academy, so just enjoy it!!
What cruise line did you work for?

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: YMCA hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-crewmember

What cruise line did you work for?

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
Passenger

i worked on carnival