Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Bearfoot
Default Personal 'Stuff' Space

Greetings,
Though not yet assigned to my (RCL) ship, I'm concerned about bringing too much personal gear on-board, to wit:

Scuba: My scuba duffel, 30 X 14", is stuffed with all my gear, less tanks and weights. Is it realistic to think, as a slot tech, I'll have much opportunity dive? Would it be better to just rent the stuff in port, and leave the duffel home?

Bongo: I like to travel with a percussion kit, 20w X 12d x 10h (inches), and sit-in if there's music among the crew. Is it common to find the occasional acoustic jam session going on?

Room Air Filter (loaf of bread size): I know, I know ... "What else, his Harley Davidson?" The whole concept of an ocean cruise is the fresh air ... I get that part ... but a crew cabin is an enclosed space, I find I'm far-less prone to colds, and sleep much better in a room with a small air filter. Is there any policy about keeping such a device (quietly) running throughout the day? Would there be a security (read: pilferage) concern, it sitting out all day unsecured?

Thanks in advance to all respondents,

David (Bearfoot)
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hehe! You can for sure leave your scuba gear and drums back home.
First of all, almost every port you come to rent out diving equipment, and on some ships you can gang up with the ships divers and borrow their gear. Some ships even pay crewmembers who are certified divers to do underwater inspections.

There must be a way to live out your drumming interest through the crew welfare or something. Anyway your spare time will be very limited, so my guess is that you want to use that time to eat, sleep and socialize with your new friends

When it comes to the air filter, I have no idea regarding the security aspects, but in general I would say it's not a bad idea to bring one. Even though every cabin is airconditioned, the air can be a bit bad. But I would check with the company first if its allowed to bring onboard.