Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Beginner

Default SO newly hired - lots of questions

Hi there,

my SO has just started working as a waiter (RCCL); seems that every first time is a hard time. Having read other postings here it seems there is a range from "best time of life" to "working like a slave", earning incredibly much or nothing at all. So I got myself a bit confused. What is it really like? What is a waiter´s life on board like? Do they usually have a chance to see something of the destinations they cruise? Or hardly any time off?
questions, questions, questions....

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is one of the harder jobs - long hours and not many days off. They have to coordinate their shifts to maybe get a lunch off once in awhile. They work most nights from 5:30 to 10:30 - 7 days /week.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Default Waiters

Waiters can also get extra shifts off, and better shifts, by earning high passenger ratings in the comments cards.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

JObs like waiter on ships are long hours and no complete days off. What you do is settle into a way of life where you take baps when you can so you will be rested to do your shifts.

The good thing is that it is very easy to save money - all of your human needs are taken care of; rent, utilities, food, health care. There is almost nothing you need to buy except shampoo. Of couse you want some comfort so you may buy an iPod, computer, DVD player, etc. It is up to the individual. Some people save all their money, others blow every penny.

Encourage him NOT to go shopping in every port, all you will ebd up with is boxes of junk.

The life is not bad. It is short on privacy since he will have a roommate, but he will be comfortable and well-fed and kept healthy.

I do not know THAT much about the scheduling of a waiter's hours but I know there are plenty of times when they don;t need everyone working, when the ship is in port and 80% of passengers are off - for example.

Days at sea are the hardest, nights in port are the best, especially in places with lots of restaurants.
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Hello,
I actually have been hired for a seasonal youth counselor on NCLA (which sails in Hawaii). Right now I'm on an active hold until they need someone to fill the youth counselor position, but I have been doing some research and communication with people who have worked on cruise ships...so I'm happy to share with you what I have found out.

The way that people feel about their experience working on a cruise ship varies greatly. The hours definitely are very long- especially for those working in service positions. However, that does depend on the times in port and the occupancy of the ship. But- compared to our american work standards- it is TONS more time spent on the job than americans are used to.

I have joined a facebook group for NCLA past and present staff, and one for NCL past and present staff. Those are good places to start to get a feel of what people's experiences were on board. Other ships might also have such groups on facebook or other networking sites too.

There is also a blog that I read by James Byrd...he wrote about his experience for 2 years out of the 3 he has work with NCLA(he even writes about the actual hours he works everyday). I believe that he might have started as a Jr. Waiter and is now a Jr. Receptionist (but don't quote me on it). You can check out his blog at

http://web.mac.com/cruisingjames/Site/Home.html .

Even though he workers on another ship this might give you some insight.
You can also do a google search for Royal Caribbean Waiter Blog- or something like that to see if you can find someone who has been writing about your specific cruise line.

I can say that most people have told me that it is what you make it. It can be very hard at times, but you can make a lot of new friends..and hopefully see some new places. I have heard that the is not a lot of privacy (if any) because of course you are sharing a room with 1-3 other people...and the space is tiny. But if nothing else it will be an experience and something different!

Hope this helps...and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Shareeah W.