Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Default Help on Visa Info for Seaman's Discharge Book Holder -

Hi,

I will be working as an guest entertainer this summer/fall and the ship will be traveling to some exotic ports. I am free most days in port and I want to be able to get off the ship, but not sure if I'll need to get visas in advance or if the Seaman's Discharge Book will cover me in these ports.

Ghana, Benin, Cape Verde South Africa, Gambia, India, Madagascar, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Oman, Seychelles, Dubai, Kusadasi, Pt Said

I have tried to get info from my agency and no one seems to know the answer to this.

If you know where I can go to determine which ports of entry are covered with the Seaman's Book I would appreciate that info.

I am a US citizen.

Thanks and regards
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
First Mate

I think you need to determine if you are crew or guest status on the ship. As you're holding a seaman's book - I'm assuming they are putting you on the crew manifest?

If crew, see if you can get ahold of the crew office on the ship and they would know and help. I have St Petersburg/Russia in my next contract and our crew office arranges for the visa once I'm onboard

If guest, you might be on your own on getting visas
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1765.html

or - is there a way of getting ahold of your musical director or production manager onboard as if they've done the itinerary, the might already know.

I'd try contacting the employment office of the cruise line. Maybe they can direct you to the shoreside office person who deals with your agent (and most like is the one in communication with the MD's onboard)

Good that you're looking into this now!
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Thanks very much!

Kind Regards,
Sue
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default is it possible to gett off the ship?

Could you please tell me, if a person works on windstar cruises, had a south african seamen's book, can a person in this case go ashore in Russia? He is a portuguese passport holder, but lives in South Africa.The ship stays 3 days in Saint Petesbourg , can a person go outside during this time or he needs some additional papers?