Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Satine777,

If you read what the people wrote about Steiner, you can have an idea what is working with Steiner, unfortunately is real...
But if you are looking just to have an experience on the ship and no matters the money or the conditions....try it.
The truth is if you go work there you will have great moments specialy with people that you will meet.
But honestly think about it....because with Steiner is not a dream...
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Employee contract

Hi, does anyone know if you have to pay the $650 or more to terminate the contract early? Please help!!!
Old November 17th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Familiar Face

Hi xmichxfx,

No they do not, there are other arrangements that will be in your contract once you apply. I am not completly up to date about contracts any more since it was almost 2 years since I've worked for Steiner.
You could read about my experiences on The true story about working as a Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships..

Good luck with your desicion
Daan
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My wife worked for Steiner as a Fitness Instructor and was treated appallingly, after her first trip she still hasn't covered her debts from all the fees from flying to the UK, living in the UK and training. A the time she was on commission (reading Daands blog this may have recently changed). The worst thing that happened is the ship sailed to Brazil and she hasn't received her Seamans book yet so was flown back to the UK for it for two weeks then flown back to the ship, but these costs were all deducted from her salary.
I still work at sea, and have seen some awful treatment of the steiners. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to join them. I am still friends with a few steiner spa managers and managers in steiner ashore and even they agree that the company is morally bad.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalialagoon View Post
STEINER - not a place for professional people.
THE ACADEMY - the worst training ever. Rude, arrogant, non-skilled and " no brain" trainers. Just former workers on ships that finally found a nice and warm place to earn money. If you dare to say " don't treat me like cattle " they start threatening you and label you as having " negative attitude ". They will do everything possible to put you down and to feel stupid.
Training is only about how to sell the awful ELEMIS products.
The " Spa Tours " are embarrassing.
I lately met the owner of Steiner, the daughter of the founder. Seems to be a nice lady (I like her pink diamond ring). I think she worked very hard to keep the business going after her father death, but they lost control now. The manager of Steiner Academy (her son in law), is too weak and being the only man working in a place with only women made him to loose the sense of reality.
I was probably lucky to have a good ship. The things have changed completely when I got there. The ship staff was much better than those from the Steiner Academy's. But the Spas managers are still mad about selling ELEMIS. The only thing interest that them is " how much retail " have you done per day. No interest about performing good or quality treatments. The SPA guests should complain because they are sick of being pushed every treatment with ELEMIS sales. They were sick of this attitude we were more than embarrassed.
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Sorry Was meant to be a reply to this thread not a copy and paste!! Basically I really need some help after reading all of these appalling reviews. I have an interview with Steiner and am now terrified about working for them. I really want to work on a cruise ship but I don't know of any other companies that employ from england. Can anyone please help me and recommend any other cruise companies I could possibly work for. Thank you.
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysue View Post
took a job aboard a cruise ship. Once onboard you are at the mercy of the company. They do not adhere to working hours. There are constant threats of being fired if you dare complain.The spa managers are power hungry bitter women who use that power to control and manipulate staff.One manager (Erica McEvitt) treated the spa as her own brothel-hooking up girls with the officers.She obviously got something in return ?Money
If girls refused life onboard would become hell for them.This woman had power because of her connections with people onboard.
Steiner does not care about anyhing as long as they get money. They throw people off at the gangway with no money or travel arrangements.There is no notice period.YOu can be told one morning that you are fired and you need to get of fthe ship that day. They dont give you your pay and theres nothing you can do. The services are a sham.. Cooking oil is used for massage and people are expected to pau $150 for it.
On 2 of the ships I worked on the galvanic machines(for facials) were broken bus still used on the clients...and the staff had to pretend that they were working. Steiner is the company with probably the worst work ethic in the world. There are not much more than a gang of thugs with a company that is listed on the stock exchange! And when you work for them you are at their mercy....remember that before signing the contract(which is totally illegal- and they only get away with it because they trade at sea)
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I am new to cruising who is Stiener? If this is true and I have no reason to doubt that it is, this is horrible and should be reported.
Old December 12th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Familiar Face

Hi MasterNotCommander, Thanks for reading my blog, yes there have been recent changes in the pay structure, there is now a base salary, which is still not a lot.

@Opaloopa; I've written a whole blog post about "are the horror stories about Steiner true?": Check this out: Is It For Me? | Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships

It is up to you if you want to do it. Steiner does train thousands a year, it is a interesting opportunity..

Any other questions, let me know..
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Welcome Newcomer

101% TRUE, I WORKED FOR THEM 8 YEARS COZ MY FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AT HOME BUT THEY ARE DEVILS<I CANT WAIT TO JOIN SOME GROUP WHO WANT TO SUE STEINER ABOUT MODERN SLAVERY.. Looking forward to that!!!
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Should be reported! But to whom? There is no ILO or similar organizations to report this or sue them! I am the first one who will do it but where,how,to whom? I worked for them 8 years coz my financial problems at home and I didnt have another choice but it was for sure 8 years MODERN SLAVERY... Who ever want to sue them,please contact me,I have plenty of materials against the DEVILS (Steiner leisure Ltd)..
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

YES,you have to!!! They took from my commission $650 when I was at home! They are DEVILS! I cant wait to join somebody who want to sue them..
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile I worked as a Massage therapist working for Steiner and loved it!

Hi,
I have read through some messages left on some forums about how people felt working for Steiner.
Before I signed up to the job, I too read lots of reports and fully understood what would be required of me if I was to be accepted as a massage therapist working on a cruise ship.
I spent weeks trawling though both the negative and positive comments that people made so was fully aware of exactly what the job would entail as well as living accommodation, work load, working hours and retail requirements.
I was fortunate enough at the age of 46 to have spent 8 months working on Crystal Serenity in 2010 and 2011 as a massage therapist and travelled to some of the most amazing places. I made some incredible friends and experienced things that I really thought would not be possible for someone ordinary like me.
Yes I retailed and made both the company and myself some money. I actually enjoyed the challenge, it was the company policy so although it was challenging at times, I felt no problem with following the criteria set by someone else.
The living accommodation was small and over the time I spent onboard had 3 different room mates with a varying degree of success. Getting on with someone is half the battle and you can soon become able to live together in a way that allows you both some space and companionship but it was challenging at times.
The benefits far out weighed the negatives, the ability to travel, earn some money and experience life at sea was such an amazing gift to me. If you are someone who is prepared to work extremely hard, party a little and have some adventures then I would highly recommend it.
If you are a home bird and would miss home comforts, not used to giving your all in the work place and not like a challenge, then maybe this is not for you.
Read the small print and know exactly what you are signing up to, then you will not be disappointed when your pay is not what you expect or your hours are more than you thought.
Everyone on board will have their own story to tell, some good and others not so good. I am just telling you of my experience and can honestly say that I had the time of my life!
Old May 19th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Very New here

Ok so i have looked into Cruise ship work came across this thread after a crap reply from someone at Steiner..

looked online found alot of massage jobs on cruise ships and was all through OneSpaWorld, aka Steiner.

filled in the online application form, iv never worked in a spa or so on before i did massage self employed since i passed in 2013 so at least a year or more experience.

the response i got was

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to advise you that there is no availability for this position. However, please feel free to contact us in 12 months time to see if the situation has changed at all.

Thank you once again for your interest in our Company, and we wish you success in your future endeavours.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Why not? - MediSpa rocks!

I have worked as MediSpa physician for the past 5 years. I started with this company the year it went into business (2008) and I LOVE MY JOB. I have seen this job open up opportunities for my spa team mates, colleagues and for me. You save a lot of money with this job. It is a job and a lifestyle. I have the best memories of my work onboard doing a decent and honest job making people feel better and improving their cruise experience. Unfortunately as everything on life, a ship job and shiplife is not for everyone.