Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Default Guest Service Officer - Gap Pool

I have been reading about this Gap Pool situation in RCCL and it is mystery for me as well.
I was accepted for the Guest Service Officer position and was told that the next step is assignment to the ship. So can someone tell me how long that will take?
I also would be grateful to get to contact with any Guest Service Officer working for RCCL at the moment.
As I went through the recruitment company when I applied for the job I was told that the contract is 6 month on-board and then 8 weeks holiday. The salary I was quoted to is 1700 dollars a month. To take to consideration that you are working 7 days a week and mostly 10-12 hours a day, I become somewhat surprised that the salary is so low. Also knowing that the dollar has weakened towards sterling and euro, I have calculated that the salary is even less than minimum wage in England. Does anyone know if the Guest Service Officers are getting also any tip money? I hope someone would be able to answer my questions.
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcc2009 View Post
I have been reading about this Gap Pool situation in RCCL and it is mystery for me as well.
I was accepted for the Guest Service Officer position and was told that the next step is assignment to the ship. So can someone tell me how long that will take?
I also would be grateful to get to contact with any Guest Service Officer working for RCCL at the moment.
As I went through the recruitment company when I applied for the job I was told that the contract is 6 month on-board and then 8 weeks holiday. The salary I was quoted to is 1700 dollars a month. To take to consideration that you are working 7 days a week and mostly 10-12 hours a day, I become somewhat surprised that the salary is so low. Also knowing that the dollar has weakened towards sterling and euro, I have calculated that the salary is even less than minimum wage in England. Does anyone know if the Guest Service Officers are getting also any tip money? I hope someone would be able to answer my questions.
First of all, being accepted in a GAP pool means that you are qualified for a position and it can take months.

Second, I don't really know why they are calling it Guest service Officer, as this position is nowhere near an officer job. Your job is sorting under the cruise directors department and you'll be particioating in guest activities like dance lessons and calling bingo. USD 1700 pr month is quite normal for that position.

Remember, cruise line jobs are not for western europeans who want to make money. They recruit crew from all over the world and those of us who come from western Europe/Scandinavia are onboard to do something different for a time before we start our "real" lives at home.
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Mr Mate, you are mistaken - you are thinking of Cruise Staff. RCC209 will be working as a Purser/Receptionist

Guest Series Officer:
Our Guest Service Officers are at the heart of our operation and have a direct impact on the overall experience of our guests. As a Royal Caribbean expert, you ll help our guests make the most of their cruise vacation. In this highly visible role you ll work in our front desk/reception area and assist our guests with everything from general questions to onboard assistance and verifying reservation information to currency exchange and problem resolution. Successful candidates are friendly, engaging and enjoy working in a fast paced environment. Remember, working at Royal Caribbean is more than a job, it s a career!
Minimum Requirements:
" Ability to read, write, and speak English plus a minimum of 1 additional language (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, or Dutch)
" A minimum of 2 years experience in hospitality or customer service

Cruise Staff :
Royal Caribbean International is presently recruiting Entertainment Staff ready to perform. Imagine spending your morning playing games and the afternoon entertaining our guest by the pool and rock wall. Our Cruise Staff will host game shows, trivia and then change costume to dance the night away at our many theme nights onboard. We are looking for you.... Why not apply today?
Miminum Requirements:
Must have two years of emcee or professional speaking experience in the entertainment or recreation industry.
Be able to contribute a special talent or skills to an entertainment team.
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency.

Rcc209 as far as wages, I know that a Junior Assistant Purser on Princess Cruises can expect a salary between US$ 1400 - US$ 1700 a month.
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ok, but still it's a receptionist position, which is at the same level as cruise staff. Why they call it officer is still a mystery to me, probably to make the position more attractive to have the best possible recruitment.

The salary range for a receptionist is often lower than for cruise staff, so USD 1700 sounds normal for this entry level position.
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the answers. Ok if 1700 is normal for this position still do they get also part of the tip money? As much as I understand the waiters and chambermaids are getting tip divided between them, but does the reception staff also get it.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I wouldn't count on it. But since it's almost seven years since I left the cruise industry, because the salary became way too low with the falling exchange rate, so things may have changed.

My wife was a receptionist who changed department to cruise staff and she made more as cruise staff. With the tipping system onboard, it could be that the purser desk is included.

Anyway, once you'll get an assignment, it won't hurt to ask questions regarding this and other things to your agency.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Familiar Face

Hi

No, guest service officers onboard do not get tips. The cabin stewards and dining room and bar staff all do but not guest services. They work on the front desk assisting guests with complaints and helping them, it's like the front desk of a hotel. If you are from the UK I would say it's quite a low salary for the amount of work you have to do but if you want to try it for the experience it's worth it. You do meet people from all over the world and it's a completely different way of life!
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Hi all form India, please help

I am form India, 34 yrs of age a post Grad business management, been working for American call centers as customer support associate looking to work on board a cruise ship, how to find jobs plz guide me

thanks in advance.