Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Default Guest Services Officer on rccl

Hi All. My name is Vesko, and i was accepted for the Guest Services Officer at the Royal Caribbean Cruise lines, there is a big chance that i will go to the Celebrity Solstice sometime soon. The agency that hooked us all up to the RCCL agent, told us just couple of things about the real conditions on the ship, and i always have the feeling that they're tryin' to hide smng from us. Please, i would really appreciate, if some member here knows more about this position, it's a staff position, and they told us that we won't have to share a cabin, which is very good, but i'm sceptic about that. So what i really wanna know is from someone who can tell me and my colleagues for sure 100%... Do we share the cabin while working onboard? Is it true that we have special discounts for all beverages and food (besides the included F&B of course)? Do we have direct contact with the guests, i.e can we get tips? I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but really, i wanna make sure i know everything before i go onboard, i don't want to have any unwanted surprises there. I am from Macedonia, the middle wages here are 250 eur, this position is around 1,700$ and i am looking forward to it, cause i wanna earn more money.

Many thanks to all of you in advance. Please if you have an answer to at least 1 question, don't hesitate to post !

Thanks. Sincerely, V.
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Familiar Face

Hi

Guest Service Officers on RCCL definitely share cabins with 1 other person from their department. The cabins are quite small and have bunk beds. You don't really get any discounts off food and drinks. There are restaurants that passengers use that you can go to like Johnny Rockets burger bar and the fine dining restaurants but you pay the same as the passengers. I think in some bars you get a discount and there is food for all crew in the mess and also a crew bar that is quite cheap.

As far as I know Guest Service Officers don't really get tips but you do have direct contact with guests as your job is standing at the front desk helping them and dealing with their complaints. The hours are between 8 and 11 hours a day, 7 days a week but sometimes Guest Service Officers can earn a day off.

I hope that helps and good luck!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have not worked on RCCL or Celebrity, but I do know that staff members usually DO have a single cabin and it is more likely on a newer ship like Solstice - so don't get discouraged. Guests services is a staff positon (not crew) and most staff members get private cabins. As a stage manager I always had a private cabin.

Maybe the person above is refering to older Royal Caribbean ships.

As far as discounts - YES - you will get huge discounts on snacks, drinks (beer/wine) and other needs (razors) in the crew store. No, you do not get them if you are socializing in public rooms - you pay the same price as the passengers.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Familiar Face

No I am referring to brand new RCCL ships, I worked on Freedom class which are the second biggest ships in the world. A lot of stage staff get their own cabins on those ships and a stage manager would get their own cabin as on RCCL it is a 2.5 stripe officer position but not guests service officers as they are 1 stripe officers. On RCCL only 2 stripe officers and above get their own cabin. Even on Oasis which is RCCL's biggest ship 1 stripe officers and below share but the cabins are split so you get more private space and there are no bunk beds, but they share a bathroom.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks cruiseshipgirl! That is really interesting info, especially about Oasis.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to bluebeach

Hello everybody,

I've posted my resume on the official recruitment website of the Royal Caribbean Cruise line.

I've been called for a pre-screening Interview via skype for the post of Guest Services Officer.

I need your help so as to be more prepared for the interview. Do you have any idea on the questions asked during a cruise line pre-screen interview?

Thanks in advance for your help...

I'm very excited to join the RCCL crew onboard, that's my dream job.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The kinds of questions will be "what kind of experience do you have in the hospitality industry?"

They might propose a potential problem to you and ask you how you would solve it or prevent it.

They will ask about your life situation - married? caretaker to anyone? they want to make sure you can commit to a contract of several months.

They will ask about your health in general.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to bluebeach

Thanks a lot for your help Paul... God bless
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Assistant Exec Hskpr on RCCL

Hey there,

Does anyone know how many stripes an Assistant Exec. hskpr is on RCCL? Also, any information that anyone has on this position with this company would be great.

I was offered the position and am in background right now. Just want to make sure I'm making the right move from land based hotels to cruise ships.

Thanks!