Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Beginner

Default Trying to get a foot in the door at RCC

I recently applied for the Guest Services Manager position, waited a few days. Mailed my resume and cover letter to 2 senior execs and put a call in later that week. I received a return phone call from a global talent acquisitions manager, whom out of respect i will not name. We spoke for about 25 minutes. She asked me questions, I asked her questions.She mentioned they are not hiring managers for GS but they are hiring officers. She was very, very polite and professional. I hope I was too. She requested I email her my resume and cover letter which I did 15 minutes later, that was on Friday. This whole weekend I have thought non stop about how exciting this can turn out to be. I have a few questions:

1. I am currently in the process of finishing all my course work for my Bachelors and "graduate" on May 7th. The last requirement for my degree is an "internship" that basically comes down to the HR manager signing a piece of paper and my emailing my professor back and forth. Is this going to be a problem in securing a job ? When should I speak about this with RCC ? Will not having my degree YET disqualify me from getting a Guest Services Officer position ?

2. Was that my telephone interview ? Or is there another telephone interview then the 1-1 ? And when the 1-1 comes into play, do I fly to Miami ?

3. She mentioned I would need a physical, can that be from Any doctor ?

I listed on my cover letter that I am available to start work on May 10th, im hoping thats not too far out to apply now. I would ideally like to secure a job now.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:24 AM
First Mate

psk,
Your profile doesn't tell us where you are from.
If you have a US passport you will not be hired for this position.
Sorry.
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
psk,
Your profile doesn't tell us where you are from.
If you have a US passport you will not be hired for this position.
Sorry.
And your basing this on ??? I am a US citizen. From the northeast. I have to say your answer is definitely conclusive.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Beginner

And you would be basing that broad assumption on what ? I am a US citizen.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk691 View Post
And you would be basing that broad assumption on what ? I am a US citizen.
I am also a US citizen - one of the very few who has worked on cruise ships (including the American ones) - for the past 35 years.

The American ships MUST legally hire a certain number of Americans.
The others can do what they like.

Most foreign flag lines - like RCCL - will take your CV and talk to you.
They don't want negative publicity or lawsuits stemming from any statements that they don't generally hire Americans.

But in the end - unless you are trying to get one of the very few jobs they do hire Americans for (dancers, singers, comedians, baby-sitters) - your CV will sit in a pile with many other American CVs and then get filed away after a few years.

I don't know how many cruises you have taken, but if you have, did you not notice the distinct lack of American crewmembers? One would think that with the majority of cruisers being Americans, it would be an advantage to have American crew onboard, who can better understand and better communicate with the passengers. But that is not the case.
It is not just a coincidence that most international cruise ships have few or no American crewmembers.

There is an extremely slim chance that you will actually be considered for the job. If you have incredibly relevant prior experience (as I did), or know somebody who has clout within the company (as I did), you may have a chance.
If you do get the job, I would be willing to bet a great deal of money that you - like the few other Americans who came before you- would not last more than a month.

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; April 7th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
I am also a US citizen - one of the very few who has worked on cruise ships (including the American ones) - for the past 35 years.

The American ships MUST legally hire a certain number of Americans.
The others can do what they like.

Most foreign flag lines - like RCCL - will take your CV and talk to you.
They don't want negative publicity or lawsuits stemming from any statements that they don't generally hire Americans.

But in the end - unless you are trying to get one of the very few jobs they do hire Americans for (dancers, singers, comedians, baby-sitters) - your CV will sit in a pile with many other American CVs and then get filed away after a few years.

I don't know how many cruises you have taken, but if you have, did you not notice the distinct lack of American crewmembers? One would think that with the majority of cruisers being Americans, it would be an advantage to have American crew onboard, who can better understand and better communicate with the passengers. But that is not the case.
It is not just a coincidence that most international cruise ships have few or no American crewmembers.

There is an extremely slim chance that you will actually be considered for the job. If you have incredibly relevant prior experience (as I did), or know somebody who has clout within the company (as I did), you may have a chance.
If you do get the job, I would be willing to bet a great deal of money that you - like the few other Americans who came before you- would not last more than a month.
Well aren't you just the guru then. Thanks for the information. Please don't reply to this thread again. You are making very negative and broad assumptions about all these companies. If you have been working in the industry for 35 years I'm betting that you do have knowledge of the industry. But you sound bitter and miserable. So once again, thanks for your opinion, but please don't reply again.
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

While Bruce is making broad based statements he does know what he's talking about and is only stating the truth. Cruise lines rarely (very rarely) hire Americans for these positions.

I would strongly suggest that you apply with NCL and try to get a position on their Hawaiian ship. They are required to have a "mostly" American crew.

Hopefully you can beat the odds and get a position in Guest Services but do not rest your hopes on it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Yep - you need a current passport to work for RCCL no matter your nationality (must be valid a couple months past your contract length) and depending on what countries the ship is going to - perhaps specific visas.

After 8 years - have not seen an American at the GR desk in either the GSM or any GSO position (though a few Canadians). Most are multi-lingual (many have 3 languages). Most all have some some sort previous resort/hospitality/front desk experience.

There is a specific medical form required by the company - one is medical history - the other is tests, numbers, etc. I think there might be a thread in this forum that might have more specifics as I seem to remember chatting about it . . . These are valid two years past the exam date - wouldn't get one unless you were actually getting ready for a ship assignment

They have been hiring more Americans into Hotel Management areas - i.e. Assoc. Hotel Directors/F&B Managers/Executive Housekeeping/Facilities Managers - but again, these folks have 10+ years in hotels or resorts. And on the marine side there are a couple of American captains and environmental officers -and obviously a lot of schooling and experience to get those gigs!

Even Bruce didn't say it as nicely it could - he IS pretty right on with the Americans on cruise ships slant. We have a pretty high "drop out" rate when it comes to working on ships. Usually it's a combination of the lifestyle, working or living conditions

Here's a thread I started a few years back

If you would get another interview - I doubt they would fly you to Miami unless it was a very high level position. I've known a few folks who've just done video-conferencing type follow-ups. My process was submitting the resume, getting a phone call from the hiring partner for 'pre-screening' background/experience type questions, the next call/interview a couple days later from the person who actually placed and supported those onboard. It helped that I was already working for another line (and had good friends/co-workers that were known to the 2nd interviewer). When I got home from that contract, I went to a 'hiring event' at the RCCL office at the Port of Miami (only live a couple hours away) and was placed the next day for a contract that started the next week. Mine was a combination of having the education/current experience, followed by good connections and then having that position open up right when I was available.

good luck - and if you haven't already - touch base with whoever you last fwd'ed your info to. Yes, your info WILL get lost in the stack with all the others people in the WORLD who also want that job. It's up to you to keep your name current.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Do cruise lines hire American sommeliers?
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleevin View Post
Do cruise lines hire American sommeliers?
NCL America - Probably Yes.

All the other lines - extremely unlikely.