Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Question International ambassador vs. international host

Hello!
What is the difference between international host and international ambassador. Is there any? Or is the same position called international ambassador on Royal Caribbean and international host on Celebrity? Or on a bigger ship there is international ambassador and on a smaller there is international host? Or the same position was called international ambassador and now it has changed and it is called international host? What about the stripes?

hmmm... lot of questions...
Answer me, please, please, please

Last edited by biotika; June 21st, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: mistake
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Familiar Face

Well both of these positions exist on RCCL ships. The International Host is a member of the Cruise Director's Staff on some itineraries. They host events for a particular demographic of cruiser, in the language of that cruiser; eg Spanish Host. Ships in Europe often have several of these hosts. They have the same privileges and pay as Cruise Staff, share cabins etc.
International Ambassadors are a member of the Guest Services (Pursers) department. They are the ones who you hear do the foreign language translations of the announcements over the PA. They also put together the translations of the foreign language Compasses and any other literature that needs translation. They often host meetings of cruisers to help with orientation, debark etc. They usually speak several languages. I suspect they get paid more than International Host (which wouldn't be hard). They get their own cabin. Although they are 2 stripe, which means they don't actually outrank an International Host.
Not sure if the position of International Host is different on Celebrity!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Thanks!
I think we don't speak about the same position, or it varies depending on which cruiseline...
The international host that I had in mind has to speak 3 to 4 languages, gets own cabin, 2 stripes, earns around 2100, pursers department. That's why I asked, because for me it seemed quite the same thing than the international ambassador... Or am I wrong...?
I think, beside there are also social hosts and 'simple' hosts who have to speak only one languge so they will be the ones so called "spanish host, french, german, italian host".
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Familiar Face

Well, if they have to deal with the foreign language literature, then it is the same thing.