Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Default Possible Employment, but have some questions...

I have been inivted to attend an :Information Session" by NCL/NCLA on the 1st of July in Charlotte.

Anyway, this is based off of a resume i submitted many months ago but it is coming at a convenient time since i recently left a past job. My position I am applying for is aboard the Pride of America as a Assistant Cook.

So as to the questions:

How hard will it be to land the job? Is it fierce competition since it is American based?

What will a typical work day be like? I understand its not easy and i accept that just trying to get an idea of the hours and how the day is broken up.

How long after the interview will i know if I have the job?

Whats the pay and facilities (other than the cabins, I understand that situation) like?

Thank you all for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Captain

Yes, there is quite a bit of competition for these positions. Everyone wants to sail in Hawaii while they are working.
But qualifications are also complex. Can you cook on electric appliances? There is no gas onboard a cruise ship.
Can you follow European recipes? They are based on metric weight - not volume as they are in America.
If they decide to offer you a job, you must spend several weeks at a Maritime school in Maryland, training for safety, etc.
Then you must pass a very strict drug test. If you fail - no job.
The FBI does a very thorough background check on you. If there are any criminal arrests or convictions - no job.
Then you must join the US Merchant Marine. Processing can take from several weeks to several months.
You cannot work on the ship until you have your Merchant Marine ID Card in hand.

Pay for Asst Cook is minimal. You will be working split shifts every day.
Ships rules about behaviour and alcohol consumption are very strict. This is the area where many American crew are fired.
Crew facilities onboard are limited.
You will not be allowed in passenger areas unless you are working.
Shore leave is also limited.

Good luck.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Beginner

djacobh -

Just got hired by NCLA for the Pride of America. Bar work. Far as I can tell, Mr. Bruce Chafkin1's info is legit. With a few discrepancies...

Bruce -

Can you verify, seems like you're the Cruisin' Manic Expert on the topic: (Any experience working for NCLA by the way?)

- I was told there's no drunkenness allowed but have also been told they'll let Officers, Entertainment & Cruise Staff slide if the breathalyzers come out a little bit over. T or F?

- Also informed from HR that there is no "non-fraternization" policy. Meaning that not only staff can get down with staff... but staff can also get down with patrons. Seems like the more I read, the more false that sounds

- Was also told Bar workers are encouraged to mingle with the passengers so free run of the ship is granted....?

-Any chance of requesting your own cabin roommate(s)? ie - if you have a mate working on the same ship with you

And lastly, what are the chances of jumping ranks and climbing the admin ladder pending that your introductory sign-on cruise was a successful and satisfactory one? I'm very interested in getting into a guest entertainment position asap. IE - host, guest MC, shore guide and if possible, scuba instructor!

I appreciate any advice!

Last edited by Akascuba`; August 24th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Captain

I was an officer at NCL.
Anybody - including the Captain - who scores over the legal limit for alcohol is fired immediately. I witnessed quite a few senior officers walked down the gangway - their long careers ended due to a few beers.
The legal limit is about 2 beers for most people.
There is a ZERO tolerance policy.
Drunkeness is by far the #1 reason for termination at NCLA.

The legal department at NCL / NCLA also has a zero tolerance policy on fraternizatin with passengers. Too many pax go on cruises to "set up" a crewmember or officer, then scream rape and get a million dollar settlement from NCL. I have seen it happen far too many times.
There is an instant termination policy for fraternization.
Does the crew still do it? Yes, occasionally.

Bar workers do not have free run of the ship, and are not encouraged to fraternize with pax.

Requesting a cabinmate usually will not work, but is often possible to switch cabinmates at a later time.

Typically nobody gets promoted nor is allowed to move to another department during a contract - especially your first one.
Having said that, NCLA has such high turnover that they may be forced to make exceptions. You might get lucky.