Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Beginner

Smile Royal Caribbean/Harding Brothers???

I have been offered a job as a sales assistant with Harding Brothers joining the ship in Sydney Australia 28th July 2010

However Royal Caribbean has just informed me I have been successful with the guest services position.

What should I do? I understand that Royal Caribbean is a better company with more possibilities of progression IS THIS TRUE???

plus I'm worried about all the training ect with Royal Caribbean and how long it will take to be offered a place on the ship!

Does anyone have any advice or worked for either of these companys??

THANKS

Angela
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Beginner

I would recommend if your willing to wait (Maybe for awhile) go for Royal Caribbean....more upside than Hardings....but if there are ready to put u on a boat that might me worth it.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Familiar Face

There might be more benefits if you work for Royal Caribbean because then you are actually employed by the cruise line. Harding Brothers are a concession so you are not employed by cruise line so lose certain benefits like being able to get discounts for friends and family after a certain amount of months worked. Sometimes concessions have to pay a certain percentage of salary towards living costs onboard like food too.

Another consideration is salary, I know guest services on RCCL get around $1620 a month and also get their flight ticket home paid once they complete their contract of 5-6 months. There are definitely chances for progression at RCCL once you have completed one contract and they have restructured guest services so there are more achievable steps to progress to. The training is a bit longer on RCCL but all takes place onboard - you can expect most of your first 2 weeks to be training, it''s a lot to take in but they take it seriously. Depending on the cruise line you get put on with Harding Brothers you will still have to do training and length could be longer or shorter than RCCL's 2 weeks. Both positions mean you share a cabin so no difference there.

Lastly, I know that guest services work around 8-9 hours a day, usually if you start early you get time off in day then finish around 8pm or if you start later you get time off in the evening and can work until midnight or 1am. Shops do slightly more hours I think and usually finish after midnight a lot of nights. One benefit of shops though is that the shops can't open in port so you will get almost all the port days off.

Anyway, hope that helps. It's a tough choice and going to Sydney sounds cool so good luck with whatever you pick!