Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Default working hrs ?

i know the fact that i will have to do 70 hrs a week ( bar server ) , the lady from RC who interview me told me that if i do more than 70 hrs a week , i will get over time pay..is it true?but some people told me manager actually can make us work 14 hrs a day without any overtime pay..is it true?? can someone kindly give me some info on working hrs , how many break we allow ..rules etc...thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Familiar Face

The contract states something like 302 hours per month before they pay overtime. They're not keen on people doing overtime at all! Everyone has to fill out a timecard of hour's worked. If you're getting near to the 302 hours, then you're supposed to let the supervisor know (if they haven't already noticed). This is so they can decide if they need to let you do overtime or not. If you don't let the supervisor know, and go over your 302 hours, you'll get into trouble (probably written warning), for unathorized overtime. Chances are, unless there's a staff shortage, the shift's will be organised by the manager's so that no-one goes over 302 hours.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Very interesting....the impression I have been given is that people who work on cruise ships get paid virtually nothing at all.. never mind overtime.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Passenger

302 hrs = about 10 hrs a day , thats not too bad...i heard that manager actually can make u stay and do 12-14 hrs a day..without extra pay...just worry i will b treated like a real slave on the ship
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, they could make you stay 12-14 hours a day. However most crew have to fill out paper timecards that the manager or supervisor has to enter into the computer everyday. This can add up to a lot of employee's in some departments, and will take ages. The system is called Kronos. If you work more than 12 hours, the system "red flags" and the person entering has input some extra reason why the employee went over 12 hours. This is against the manager's best interest, as it's extra work for him (and a pain).
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Passenger

i see..thanks for your information
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
First Mate

Employment on most cruise ships is governed by the rules of the ILO - International Labour Organisation, a branch of the United Nations.

The only hard and fast rules that most cruise lines worry about are:
You must be given a break of 6 consecutive hours in every 24 hour period.
You cannot be forced to work more than an average of 13 hours per day.

But you can be required to work 18 hours in one day and 8 hours the next day. That averages to 13 hours per day.