Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Working as an IT guy for NCL?

It seems like there are positive signs that I will be getting this job.

Just wondering what its like to work as a tech guy in a cruise ship? I was told that I will have my own room, which is a good perk. Is it busy work? Am i allowed at certain areas of the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As far as i know you should get run of the ship - which is very good. I do not know how hard it is, honestly. A lot of the systems on a ship are proprietary and you won't be qualified to fix them.

Most of your stuff will probably be networking, printers, etc. If you keep on top of it during the day you should almost never get a nighttime call.

The guy in the web cafe on Epic had almost nothing to do all day.
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that worries me. If my job is seen as "not doing anything." id like to be able to come back for the next contact and stay long term with NCL. I plan to work and show that I am productive and add to NCL. If they view my job as just a body to fill, i dont think that equals to job security.

What do you exactly mean by getting a run of the ship? Also they said that i get two months vacation, i didnt ask if this was paid or not. Is it true that I will become a 2 star officer of the ship? and will that mean i wear a uniform?

Thanks
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Familiar Face

I am waiting for a technician job on NCL. They say I am next up. How long did you wait for this position to be assigned a ship? Thanks,
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Run of the ship means you get to go anywhere on the ship - like a passenger, even during your time off. (except the main dining room and full shows).

Vacations on cruise ships are never paid, You contract is paid, and is usually four to eight months on,, then you get a two-month break (vacation) before your next contract.

The key to ANy cruise line job is to always be thinking about the next contract. Do your job really well and get good referrals - then if you want to go to a better cruise line you can.

They value people with experience the most. The first job is always the hardest.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Paul! I have been offered the job and will ship out this Aug 27! Woohoo!

Would you know if NCL is nice/humane to it's employees? I just found out that I will be a 1 stripe officer. Is there longevity in this position? I am plan to show nothing but hardwork.

Also, if I have family/freinds/gf on the cruise that I am in. Am I allowed to visit with them? Can I show them my work place or my room?

Thanks,
Safari