Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Familiar Face

Talking Hired! Leaving for UK for NCL Norwegian Sun

Just hired as Lounge Tech on Norwegian Sun. Leaving soon. Anyone out there have any advice, suggestions. As someone else said the good, the bad and the ugly is appreciated. It is good to be forewarned.

I have lots to do before I leave. Will they wait until they have physical results before they send plane ticket? Will I get to fly business class, will they put me up for the night? Will I be met at the airport. Anyone else hired for this ship.

First cruise will transatlantic to Orlando. Then cruising the Caribbean. No cold weather for me this winter.

Please someone respond.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Captain

Congratulations. I used to work on the Sun.
You will not be confirmed as hired until you send successful results from your pre-employment physical.
The results of your drug test are also critical.
You will only get Business Class if you pay for it. Otherwise it is economy class.
Only senior Officers get Business Class tickets.

The Agent should meet you at the airport. You will receive contact information with your flight details.
If necessary, they will arrange a hotel for you.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM
First Mate

I did the takeout of the NCL Sun as main room sound . . will PM you :-D

Make sure you get contact information of the port agency that should be picking you up from the airport
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just FYI...

If no one meets you look for the person (in the baggage claims area) who is there to intervept passengers for the ship transfer.

Sometimes cruise lines expect you to get your own transortation and will reiburse you for a taxi, but if you can find an NCL rep they will walkie talkie and find out what you are supposed to do.

If you see no one from NCL, ask an agent from another cruise line if they have seen an NCL agent (they often know each other).

Bottom line - get to the ship, even if you have to pay. They will pay you back.

My first time out the cruise line flew me to Acapulco and told me it was a day early. There was NO ONE at the airport to meet me, but I just happened to see a Norwegian gal who looked like she worked on a ship, so I just asked her "do you work for Royal Viking" - she said "Yes!"

It turned out the ship was IN already and leaving that night. We shared a cab.

My first Norway contract they bought me a redeye from Salt Lake. I arrived a 5:00 a.m. and took a taxi to the pier and it wasn't even open yet. There was no one there to meet me even at the ship. A nightmare (I was working for JAR)

I waited for some entertainment looking types to walk off the ship and told them why I was there. Finally one of them went back onboard and got the company manager who acted like I was nothing but a pain in the a** for her. I was exhaausted. It was not a good start.
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the good wishes. Do you know if I need to bring my own tools? Will they send me a suggested packing list? I know this all may sound stupid, but it never hurts to ask.
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
First Mate

I don't know how much things have changed since I was there . . . but I would definately bring a small tool kit. We had absolutely nothing in the way of tools for the takeout. I only had my Gerber/Leatherman and it wasn't enough (and someone stole it in the first week or so). There was only one electrical cabinet key for the whole ship and everytime a breaker tripped we had to track down the Chief Electrican.

Your basic electronic repair kit, small soldering iron and a few xlr/rca and 1/4 and 1/8" turnarounds should be fine. You'll soon know where all the Radio Shack's are one your run ;-)
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Familiar Face

Guess I will have to check my luggage then. Can't take a leatherman on the plane. Any suggestions on luggage. I wanted to take my stuff in a sportsac, so I could fold it up and put it away. Also, should I bring my laptop. I read on some lines there is a safe in the room. Is theft rampant?
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
First Mate

My tool was stolen because I left it on the stage when there was about 20 contractors running about - my fault entirely!

Yes - by all means bring the laptop. And download some current movies/tv shows before you go. Also good if you have and know how to use music editing software.

Don't recall if the safe in the room was big enough for a laptop - never felt 'unsafe' about carrying it or having it around.

I picked up a small gate-mouth tool bag, but even an old mic pouch would be fine for tools