Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Familiar Face

Question Health Insurance

I know I am covered when I am on the ship, but am I covered when I get off in ports. I need an answer to this, as I want to discontinue my private health insurance until I am off contract. I wasn't given anything on the ship like an insurance card.

Any answers out there? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka View Post
I know I am covered when I am on the ship, but am I covered when I get off in ports. I need an answer to this, as I want to discontinue my private health insurance until I am off contract. I wasn't given anything on the ship like an insurance card.

Any answers out there? Thanks.
Are you a crew member?
I'd imagine your contract would cover you while onshore if you are on business for the ship. I'm not sure about pleasure but conrtracts can have clauses in them that say you were away from work when the accident happened.
If you got sick on land then you should get back to the ship where they decide the next step.

I'd not do anything in a arush.. check with the HR folks of the cruise line

Your crew card probably serves as a contact number for a doctor or hospital.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM
First Mate

Your medical care is taken care of by the doctor and nurses onboard - if there's something that they can't handle, they are the ones to find a service onshore to help you. You can't get care off the ship at wherever you want (if that's what your asking) - so you're not going to get an insurance card like in the US.

Yes - you should be 'covered' while out in port, like bumps/scrapes/etc - though you don't want to see the ship doctor if you've been drinking as you might get BAC tested . . . and then fired if over the limit. I seem to remember at one time the employment contract saying we weren't covered if we rented a scooter or jet ski (major source of accidents).

If you're seriously worried about something happening to you ashore - make sure you have a shipboard contact phone number and the number of the port agent (a rep in each port who facilitates all sorts of things for the ship like immigration/finding parts/emergency transport for guests or crew)

as extra info - there's a company that comes onboard to most of the major cruise lines that sells 'off contract' insurance, if you feel the need for a card Welcome to MHG
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM
First Mate

PS - You're on the ship now? And no one is giving you an answer to this? I'd ask whoever your lead tech or the cruise director . . . . or if you're feeling brave enough, the doctor/nurses onboard ;-)
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM
First Mate

Actually the same applies to even passengers health insurances which most people do not know is in the fineprint as to extreme sports and ziplines might be excluded unless you buy an extra.
thanks
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/