Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Question Mail to Crew Member

I sent a package to my daughter on the crew of NCL Sun. I haven't heard from her whether she has received it yet. Does anyone know how timely the mail on the ship is for crew members?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
First Mate

Hmmmmm

Used to work on the Sun . . .

If you used the Miami address - HOPEFULLY it was sorted and then sent to . . . .Canaveral? If you sent it registered, you'll know when it was signed for in Miami, and then hear from her when she got it.

By chance is she the lounge tech who posted here earlier?
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Beginner

Yes, I am her mother. I sent her a package and was hoping it would get to her soon. My husband sent it to her and I didn't realize it went to Miami first. I guess she won't get it for some time. Sorry to realize that.

I wish that there was a more efficient way to get things to her. Do you know of any?
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
First Mate

Not really - some people will rent a PO box close to the port, but this entails being able to get off the ship and get to it. Works well in Miami, but the shops/retail/box rental places are a bit of a hike in Canaveral.

Now that the ship is porting out of the States - things should be moving a bit more timely.

If it's something expensive or otherwise important, shipping to the port agent is another option. These agents assist passengers, crew and the ship in general (just google the term). Every ship has one in every port. I've ordered laptops and other pricey items and had them shipped to the port agent, who in turn, walks them onboard. Wouldn't do this for letters or small packages. The agents are also most likely the ones bringing the general 'ship mail' to the ship anyways . . .

I actually have about a dozen addresses on my amazon.com account just for the different ports and ships I've been on . . . . ;-)
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Thank you. I wish I had known that. It was a cable for her laptop that she forgot to take with her. Hopefully she will get it this week when she is in port again. But I will keep it in mind if she needs anything else. So I should just google port agent NCL Port Canaveral?
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

Your best bet is to ask your daughter for the Port Agent's address. She should have no problem being able to find that out onboard. Trouble with Googling is that Port Agents can change, so who knows if you have the up-to-date info.
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Hi,

I send numerous packages to a friend who has worked on various NCL ships out of Miami and other ports depending on the itinerary. Each port has a specific mailing address for packages and letters. Sometimes these are different.

If the ship is in port on a Saturday or Sunday, I time my packages to arrive on a Thursday if possible so the mail room has time to sort it and get it to the ship on the Sat. or Sunday. Depending on what you are sending, US priority post flat rate options are great because the prices are good and 2-day delivery is guaranteed. I send alot of care package type stuff of things that are not available on the ship or that my friend does not have time to shop for due to the busy work schedule and no time off the ship. And with the flat rate options, weight is not a factor so the postage is cheap.

Anyway, we've worked out a system so if he tells me what he needs by a Tuesday, he can have it in a few days.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Familiar Face

Each ship has a Miami address, which means it's USPS...so who knows...you could wait years just to get it to Miami!

Joking...that was a joke.

But, yeah...mail is sent to the office in Miami, and then the company ships it from there, and who knows how long it can take, depending on where the ship is. But, it all comes at once, and it all goes to the crew office. Crew have to go check in the office to see if they have mail.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissymaryuk View Post
Your best bet is to ask your daughter for the Port Agent's address. She should have no problem being able to find that out onboard. Trouble with Googling is that Port Agents can change, so who knows if you have the up-to-date info.
Please don't do that. The last thing a port agent wants to do is deal with individual mail for crew members. They're dealing with so much, that it's not going to be a good thing. Ship Mail is all delivered along with tons of supplies, so if it gets to the Miami office, it'll get to the ship...and the port agent won't even know that it's there as he's dealing with so many other things.

If you want to send stuff directly to the port agent...i suggest Johnny Walker Blue Label, and lots of it. I'll be brutally honest here. The last thing a port agent wants to deal with is care packages from Mom, unless they're wrapped in hundred dollar bills. You can try though...but it's not a good idea, sorry.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Familiar Face

Actually the port agent's address was always publicized in the crew office so you could get your stuff sent directly. RCCL even changed rules so that you could only get certain sized/weight parcels sent to the Miami PO Box, anything larger was supposed to go direct to the port agent. You always got mail faster via port agent, and the only time I ever had lost mail was when it got sent to the Miami address.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissymaryuk View Post
Actually the port agent's address was always publicized in the crew office so you could get your stuff sent directly. RCCL even changed rules so that you could only get certain sized/weight parcels sent to the Miami PO Box, anything larger was supposed to go direct to the port agent. You always got mail faster via port agent, and the only time I ever had lost mail was when it got sent to the Miami address.
Again...please don't do that. The port agents don't want to deal with packages for crew. They will if they have to, but honestly...they don't want to. If you decide to put a port agent out, then pay them for it. if it's a big thing...just wait until they're home. They don't want to have to pack that stuff home with them, when they've probably filled a new suitcase just with stuff they've bought while away. Really...do they really need a box full of photos, DVD's and crap from home? I know it's sweet and all, but it's more hassle than it's worth. If you want to do something nice...wire them money.