CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   ADVICE NEEDED: How To Go About Getting A DJ Job On CruiseLine??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/377840-advice-needed-how-go-about-getting-dj-job-cruiseline.html)

DJ-Detruence November 2nd, 2010 02:28 PM

ADVICE NEEDED: How To Go About Getting A DJ Job On CruiseLine???

First off I would just like to say that this site just made my week since i have been searching online trying to get information about hows the best way for a DJ to get a job on a Cruise Line for awhile now. Great Job People!!!

I am a 'newer' DJ...as in i have never had a permanent residency at a club, but have experience at Clubs/Events/Parties. Im the master at working crowds and keeping them in the mix.

BUT my only concern in that im a little to Mainstream for a Cruise Ship crowd. Top 40/Hip-Hop/House-Techno is my far my specialty. (Though I do have thousands of songs from other genres) I just never really get the demand for them where I normally spin. Detroit, MI.

So my main question's are:

What are what are the steps to take for applying?...I went to Carnival's Website and the positions didn't have Disc Jockey listed?

Is there Ships that cater to younger crowds more than others?...Preferably one with a Urban Nightclub scene and music style?

And any other advice anyone would have would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks MATES.

sz November 2nd, 2010 09:12 PM

Yes - you probably are a bit to mainstream for cruise lines. I'd ballpark the average cruiser's age in the 40's, maybe more. The DJ gig is closer to a wedding crowd. The 'younger' groups you'll see are those that you'd see at a theme park - young families with kids. Carnival's probably the closest you'll get to "urban", and that's pushing it.

Be aware that "DJ" at night is just a small part of the job. Whatever cruise line - it's a part of the cruise directors division, and you'll be doing other duties - like gangway, meet n greet's, socializing, trivia's - On Royal Caribbean, you'll be belaying on the rockwall . . . If you think hotel on the seas - that's the crowd.

That being said - just google "employment" or "careers" and the cruise line, and you should be able to find the employment sites. (ps - and add "hiring partner")

If you're looking for a more of a party atmosphere - you might look at Caribbean land resorts like Club Med.

Seven Seas Group : Home : Recruitment for jobs on cruise ships. is a US recruiter and if you're not US - they might be able to point you to whoever works in your country.

radiofreebc January 22nd, 2011 01:42 AM

Your experience is perfect. They don't want artistic DJ's...just think of all the songs you hate the most, and those are the ones you'll be playing. Stuff that'll make you cringe and make you want to stab out your ears with anything you can find, and a lot of it.

Oh, and reggaeton...mind numbing hours of it. And then more reggaeton.

Don't expect to play anything decent. Lots of line dances, 50s & 60s stuff that the ship will provide you (corporate playlists), and then Top 40 that the ship will provide too. You'll do theme nights (country/disco/polite jazz and mellow standards/"island" music (but not real island music...not what the crew listen to...it's like jimmy buffett and red red wine).

Most ship DJ's go spin in the crew bar if they ever want to play anything good, because the guests have horrible taste in music. The DJ on the last ship I was on would go upstairs to torture his ears for the evening, and then run down after he'd gotten everyone out of the guest bars, and then play until 4am in the crew bar...electro-house. It was the only thing keeping him alive. He got pretty into drinking...he just hated the music he had to play. It's basically the same 10 songs, over and over and over...and they're those 10 songs. The ones you hate.

...and then more reggaeton.

You do lots of other stuff too. You're technically cruise staff...so it's lots of smiling and "my pleasure". I cringe everytime I hear someone say that now.

DJ Storm July 14th, 2012 11:54 PM

DJ-Detruence

There are some things you need to do before you consider getting a job on a ship.. Yes! they are alot of fun and can be dangerous but hey thats with all things.. The first thing you need to do is to contect the US Coast Guard for a Merchant Mariner Packet!.. which is free! then you have to fill it out, you must get a coast guard approved physical and a DOT five panle drug test, which you need to pass before you get what is called a Transportation Worker Identification Credential or TWIC card for short..

it will take about a month over all to get this info if your not wanted or have any federal crimes against you. the pysical will run you about 25 - 50 dollars depending where you live. and the twic is $127.75... then you send in everthing to the Coast guard and proof of payment for the MMC which is 140... I know all of this because i have just gotten out of doing this and now im just waiting on my MMC to come back. it sounds like alot but in truth its worth it..

Good luck and may the metal be with ya!

Bruce Chafkin1 July 15th, 2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Storm (Post 1438464)
DJ-Detruence

There are some things you need to do before you consider getting a job on a ship.. Yes! they are alot of fun and can be dangerous but hey thats with all things.. The first thing you need to do is to contect the US Coast Guard for a Merchant Mariner Packet!.. which is free! then you have to fill it out, you must get a coast guard approved physical and a DOT five panle drug test, which you need to pass before you get what is called a Transportation Worker Identification Credential or TWIC card for short..

it will take about a month over all to get this info if your not wanted or have any federal crimes against you. the pysical will run you about 25 - 50 dollars depending where you live. and the twic is $127.75... then you send in everthing to the Coast guard and proof of payment for the MMC which is 140... I know all of this because i have just gotten out of doing this and now im just waiting on my MMC to come back. it sounds like alot but in truth its worth it..

Good luck and may the metal be with ya!

The information above is good only if you are applying to work on a US Flag cruise ship.
Since there is only one ocean-going US Flag cruise ship currently sailing on planet earth, your chances are somewhat limited.

If you want to try to get a job on a non-US Flag cruise ship (currently around 250 of them sailing), you still need to pass the physical and the drug test - but do not need all the other stuff.

Pyro February 28th, 2013 08:54 PM

The club on sensation was exactly what you do! It was a hip hop club party I live in Panama City beach and work in a club. I'm a bouncer. You just have to apply for entertainment. Their DJ does other entertaining so you'd have to apply for entertainment