CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Crewmembers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/)
-   -   When your contract is up (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/crewmembers/377928-when-your-contract-up.html)

momofcrew November 6th, 2010 04:41 PM

When your contract is up

I was curious how it works when you leave the ship in between contracts. Do you get paid your vacation pay before you leave the ship? Or do you get paid nothing. Also, do they ask you to come back or do you have to ask them?

sissymaryuk November 6th, 2010 05:20 PM

I can only speak for RCCL, but you get vacation pay on sign-off day. They'll also offer you your next assignment on the ship (if you meet the standards). Usually several weeks before you leave.

momofcrew November 7th, 2010 08:26 AM

My daughter is on Norwegian line. Anyone know about them.

sz November 7th, 2010 08:49 AM

What have they told her? This should be stipulated in the employment contract that she signed (or her fellow techs or cruise director can tell her). I don't recall vacation pay with NCL and my contract was extended 2 months and got the next ship offer about 2 weeks before I left.

Paul Motter November 7th, 2010 02:21 PM

I have never heard of vacation pay on a cruise ship. Generally everyone is under a service contract that lasts for several months. When the contract ends you are no longer employed. You may have a new contract starting in 8 weeks (it varies) but that is a separate employment agreement.

It is only called "vacation" but it is really just the end of your current contract.

There may be exceptions, especially for NCL-America, but I have not heard anything specific.

Bruce Chafkin1 November 7th, 2010 04:43 PM

Employment Contract terms vary by cruise line.
They also vary by position.

NCL America is the odd one out, as they cannot afford the astronomical insurance rates that would result from all their Ameircan employees claiming unemployment insurance between contracts.
NCL America is forced to pay all it's employees 12 months per year.

Most of the mainstream cruise lines pay their rank and file employees only when they are onboard the ship. Most of these lines include vacation pay as part of their regular salary.
When most of these rank and file crew go on holiday, they are not paid anything at home.

Officers are treated differently on several of the lines. Their contracts are open-ended. They are usually paid 12 months per year, and are contractually obligated to be onboard a ship a certain number of days every year. Their schedules are subject to frequent changes and adjustments. Their salary also includes a premium for vacation pay.

radiofreebc January 22nd, 2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1327553)
I have never heard of vacation pay on a cruise ship. Generally everyone is under a service contract that lasts for several months. When the contract ends you are no longer employed. You may have a new contract starting in 8 weeks (it varies) but that is a separate employment agreement.

It is only called "vacation" but it is really just the end of your current contract.

There may be exceptions, especially for NCL-America, but I have not heard anything specific.

Managers and Officers get paid while they're home. They remain employees the whole time. I haven't been on a ship for over a year, and I still have my employee number. I took two years off, went back and had the same number...I was technically an employee the whole time. You get vacation pay when you sign off...and usually your next contract...if you don't already know it. A lot of people tend to stay on one ship a while these days.