Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Default When your contract is up

I was curious how it works when you leave the ship in between contracts. Do you get paid your vacation pay before you leave the ship? Or do you get paid nothing. Also, do they ask you to come back or do you have to ask them?
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Familiar Face

I can only speak for RCCL, but you get vacation pay on sign-off day. They'll also offer you your next assignment on the ship (if you meet the standards). Usually several weeks before you leave.
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Beginner

My daughter is on Norwegian line. Anyone know about them.
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM
First Mate

What have they told her? This should be stipulated in the employment contract that she signed (or her fellow techs or cruise director can tell her). I don't recall vacation pay with NCL and my contract was extended 2 months and got the next ship offer about 2 weeks before I left.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have never heard of vacation pay on a cruise ship. Generally everyone is under a service contract that lasts for several months. When the contract ends you are no longer employed. You may have a new contract starting in 8 weeks (it varies) but that is a separate employment agreement.

It is only called "vacation" but it is really just the end of your current contract.

There may be exceptions, especially for NCL-America, but I have not heard anything specific.
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Captain

Employment Contract terms vary by cruise line.
They also vary by position.

NCL America is the odd one out, as they cannot afford the astronomical insurance rates that would result from all their Ameircan employees claiming unemployment insurance between contracts.
NCL America is forced to pay all it's employees 12 months per year.

Most of the mainstream cruise lines pay their rank and file employees only when they are onboard the ship. Most of these lines include vacation pay as part of their regular salary.
When most of these rank and file crew go on holiday, they are not paid anything at home.

Officers are treated differently on several of the lines. Their contracts are open-ended. They are usually paid 12 months per year, and are contractually obligated to be onboard a ship a certain number of days every year. Their schedules are subject to frequent changes and adjustments. Their salary also includes a premium for vacation pay.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have never heard of vacation pay on a cruise ship. Generally everyone is under a service contract that lasts for several months. When the contract ends you are no longer employed. You may have a new contract starting in 8 weeks (it varies) but that is a separate employment agreement.

It is only called "vacation" but it is really just the end of your current contract.

There may be exceptions, especially for NCL-America, but I have not heard anything specific.
Managers and Officers get paid while they're home. They remain employees the whole time. I haven't been on a ship for over a year, and I still have my employee number. I took two years off, went back and had the same number...I was technically an employee the whole time. You get vacation pay when you sign off...and usually your next contract...if you don't already know it. A lot of people tend to stay on one ship a while these days.