Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default First Timer question !!!

Hi guys,

Its for a first time for me do to Cruise Job (bartender)

I make all my docs ready but not sure about the payment.

The job is with RCCL and i fill allot of papers with basic salary 300$ but the agent told me that there is a commission too!!

There is no such thing like commission in that papers , I ask him to prove that somehow and still wait hing for an answer..

So..any advices ? )

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Familiar Face

what country are you in? that makes a world of difference.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Bulgaria,EU citizen..
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolty View Post
Bulgaria,EU citizen..
It's possible that you have to pay them a commission. Many countries that are famous for exploitation and corruption (such as Bulgaria) have systems like this in place. When I first started, I didn't have to pay my agent...the ship did.

Once you're in, you're in...and don't have to pay the agents. But, I fear you might just have to give them what they want...grease the skids. It's probably not even legal, but what's legal these days anyways? Look at banks and what they do to us...how is that legal?

Income tax isn't even legal.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

you are right for all that you've said ...

BUT

my question was about that salary! My agent told me that exepc those 300 $ there is a commision for me,but there was nothing on that papers that I sign...
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Familiar Face

Your salary will be paid by the cruise that you are working with. Not too sure if you are asking if the $300 includes + commission. If so, most of the the time, you will get gratuities from the guest especially in food and beverage.

So to answer your question, yes you will get a salary plus gratuities ( Commission ). It is not in any documents with the agent but will be discussed when you have an interview with the cruise line. Hope this helps and answers your questions.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosli View Post
Your salary will be paid by the cruise that you are working with. Not too sure if you are asking if the $300 includes + commission. If so, most of the the time, you will get gratuities from the guest especially in food and beverage.

So to answer your question, yes you will get a salary plus gratuities ( Commission ). It is not in any documents with the agent but will be discussed when you have an interview with the cruise line. Hope this helps and answers your questions.
Not really ,but thanks anyway...
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Familiar Face

RCCL pay salary plus gratuities every 2 weeks to crew so you will get your basic salary plus whatever gratuities you have earned, these are split between all bar staff. Your agent won't be able to confirm the amount as it will vary each fortnight depending how many passengers there are etc. The cruise line only ever talk about and confirm your basic salary as gratuities vary so I don't think you will get this in writing but you will receive more than $300 a month.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseshipgirl View Post
RCCL pay salary plus gratuities every 2 weeks to crew so you will get your basic salary plus whatever gratuities you have earned, these are split between all bar staff. Your agent won't be able to confirm the amount as it will vary each fortnight depending how many passengers there are etc. The cruise line only ever talk about and confirm your basic salary as gratuities vary so I don't think you will get this in writing but you will receive more than $300 a month.
She's right, it'll depend on the guests...and the run too. Some cruises are better than others. In Australia, tipping isn't as big as it is here, so the bar staff make nothing. Those cruises are hard, but in the Caribbean or Alaska, if you're good, you can make great money.
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Nolty, I have an interview with Royal Caribbean next week - any tips or advice for me? were there any particularly difficult questions?